• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol post op

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys

I know its suggested by our team that its good to leave the alcohol alone for 1yr post op but I was wondering if a small & I mean a small glass of something like red wine on a birthday or at Christmas would hurt?

I know I'd be a cheap drunk but to honest just fancy a little taster or will I.... I don't know.

My birthday is 1 month post op & I'm assuming that will be too early for a little sniff but Christmas 3.5 months post op maybe ok??

I've not tried it yet Linzi but then i'm more of a nice cup of tea girl lol...

A little of what you fancy won't do too much harm :) And you'll be so much easier to drag up to bed too :) :) x

I agree with Mixxy above. You are not going to do yourself any "harm" by having a drink, but it will slow weight loss.

I had my first drink at christmas which was almost 4 months post op, so same stage as you and was absolutely fine.

Everything in moderation!

I had a glass of wine around 7 weeks after my op and have either that or vodka when i go out now.. Just take it easy as you don't know how you will react :)

i had half a vodka and cranberry about 6 weeks post op to celebrate my divorce, I was fine apart from being tiddly on it, lol havent had any since though

If you are going to have one I would suggest that you do it at home as you don't know how it will affect you. There was a case on here some months back of someone having a bypass and having 2 g;asses of wine and being admitted to hospital with alcohol poisoning.

As with everything, moderation is good but early post op days tolerences change on a daily basis. Be sensible and listen to your body. x

Thanks guys... I realise that its would slow down my weight loss as its empty calories don't plan on having much just thought if I fancied a glass of the red stuff at Christmas I might indulge in a little!

Julie... I'm not sure my hubby would agree with it making me any easier to drag to bed! :rolleyes:

Thanks... never been a big drinker (well not since the kids came along) but it will be nice to have a glass every so often!! Roll on Christmas! :D

I will admit to having had half a glass of rose about 2 weeks ago (about 51/2 weeks post-op):eek:
I enjoyed it very much but it sure did make me tiddly! I may have a glass next week for hubby's birthday, but after that I shall leave it till Christmas.
ooops it's number 1 son's birthday in mid- November....shall have to raise a glass then!
Ah well, I don't suppose 1/2 glass a month is going to do too much damage?

I stopped drinking it a year ago as part of my new lifestyle. and to be honest...I dont miss it. :D

Good for you Kim... I don't miss it really either, didn't drink whilst doing Atkins at the beginning of the year but good to know I can have a sniff if I want too! xx

i had my op mid march and then my 30th birthday at the end of may....i couldn't have a cake so i was sure as hell gonna go out and have a drink! hahaha

i stick to cider when i am out but take it slow as i do now get pretty tipsy rather quick....cheap date as my friends like to say lol

Back