• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol... post-op!

Pip1

Had my bypass on 17th Oct. V happy with things - going well and loosing weight weekly!

I know that alcohol is a sensitive subject... and I know that post-op a small amount can get you drunk quickly (so I will be a real cheap date - cant each much etc!) - but how long should I wait (no pun) before trying something "light" - not that Im desperate for anything... but just thinking ahead for Christmas as Im bound to be passed a glass of wine or something stronger!

Id welcome your experiences please!

Had my bypass on 17th Oct. V happy with things - going well and loosing weight weekly! I know that alcohol is a sensitive subject... and I know that post-op a small amount can get you drunk quickly (so I will be a real cheap date - cant each much etc!) - but how long should I wait (no pun) before trying something "light" - not that Im desperate for anything... but just thinking ahead for Christmas as Im bound to be passed a glass of wine or something stronger! Id welcome your experiences please!

My consultant advised no alcohol for 12 months post op. Every provider is different though, so it may be worth timing yours and asking.
I stuck to what my consultant advised and only had my first drink a month ago. To be honest though, I wasn't much of a drinker before and didn't really miss it.

I'm a naughty one. I have the same provider as Paula but had a glass at 6 months (baaaad Sue!!!)

I wouldn't have had it any sooner than that and one small, single glass bottle if wine affects me like a full big bottle used to

Ive never been a real drinker... to be honest it wouldnt make a lot of difference if I never drank alcohol again, but its my 1st Christmas etc pending!

Ive got my 1st follow up on 21st - will ask then!

I waited 6 months. I drink vodka lime and soda and beat the bubbles out of the soda. Head hurts too much on wine!

I had my surgery at St Richards too. The team do advise 1 year. Mr Slater said at least 12 weeks to allow the joins to heal. I waited 6 months. I drink once or twice a month now. I havent found it effects me badly, but everyone is different.

Im not bothered about drink at all...but I have had a few sips of wine and felt Ok :)

I was told to wait 3 weeks. I have one drink and I'm full. I'm not a big drinker anyway and to be honest I can take it or leave it. Every provider is different through so just follow your provider's guidelines xx

Back