• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

All inclusive Dominican republic holiday and on purée?

Natstar

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been on holiday whilst being on the purée stage?

In 3 weeks I am going to the Dominican Republic and will technically still be on purée for a week and the last week is soft foods but I'm getting really worried about what I am going to be able to actually eat. I know there will be smoothies and hopefully yogurt etc out there but these places aren't really renown for their chicken, mince, cheese etc are they so I'm starting to worry! I'm going to take some complan or slimfast out with me but I'm there for 2 weeks eek!

This holiday was booked back last year well before wls was an option in my head but there is no way I'm missing it as there are 10 of us going and I can't wait for some sunshine but just starting to panic a little.....

Nxx

i would ring the dietitian and see what they say... if all well they may allow you to go onto soft foods a little early... either way choose he healthiest foods available and mash down with a fork and chew lots xx sorry cant e any more help xx

I went all inclusive to the dom rep a few years ago and I think most of their food selections are similar. I think it will be hard but they have a lot of different foods at the buffets. Something they serve at breakfast is lots of scrambled eggs (made with egg powder) I know a lot of people can't eat egg after surgery so I don't know if that helps. Often they do boiled eggs which you could peel and mash the yolk with a fork and I believe the yolk is easier to digest. They definitely serve yoghurt and I'm pretty sure most serve porridge. Nearly all serve plaintain, it's their national breakfast. This is served mashed so you definitely can eat a good breakfast. For lunch and dinner it may be harder but they always do some kind of potato that again you can mash with a fork and a lot of the buffets do show cooking, cooking fresh fish to order. Obviously you would have to check for bones etc but mash it up and you could get lots delicious protein. Something they do with abundance is amazing fresh fruit, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I tasted the pineapple. Mango mashed would be great - I don't think you dump with the sleeve? so there will always be fruit to eat and you won't feel like you are missing out as it is the best I've ever tasted. I'm not sure if they are big on soups. They might offer them if you have any a la carte restaurants on site that you are allowed to visit. They also always serve lots of water, tea, coffee, milk and fruit juice so I don't think you will be stuck for fluids.

I do think you should check with your provider as to what they think. I mean you won't find purée there, but I'm sure you will find food you can mash and definitely enjoy. Also the beauty of the buffet is that you can put as little as you want on your plate and none of the staff will mind at all.

Good luck and hope you have a fantastic time :) x

Last edited:
Thanks ladies this really helps!

I guess I am just going to have to play it he ear and see what happens!x

Delicious fresh fruits and fish! Mmmh! And I'm sure if you asked them to blenderize something nicely they'd probably do it.

take a small hand blender with you we have been twice and both times we had infants with us my daughter took a blender but im sure you will be ok moast things can be mashed. and for breakfast we had omelet fresh made with real eggs not powder and rice pudding. either way enjoy your self

Agree talk to your dietician/team for advice. I took my high protein powdered soups Avidlite just add 250 mls of hot water 18g protein in each sachet. I'm not keen on milk shake/ smoothies. Then I didn't have to worry if I couldn't find anything suitable. But I only went to France. Having been on all inclusive holidays pre op there is always lots of choice, don't forget soft cheeses but be careful of too much. You can usually mash most vegetables with a fork. Just make sure you are getting you fluids particularly as you will be in a hot country, don't forgt your vits & minerals. Have a great time - lucky you.

When i went all inclusive they had a smoothie bar and would make fresh for you, they do a soup station a lot of the time, lots of slow cooked meats in tomato based stews, plantain, eggs every way you wanted, fresh fruits and yoghurts (diet, natural etc) and mash, heavies - don't forget all inc tend to have ewstaurants as well as the buffet bars ... Enjoy!!!!

Sorry to be a bore...but will your insurance company cover you so soon after surgery to fly, and are your team happy for you to fly over 6 hrs due to clot risks in legs and lungs??
Would you consider asking for your surgery to be moved forwards to after your holiday ?
Good Luck
xx

I was thinking exactly the same Oonion, I travelled to USA 8 wks after op which was cleared by the SRH guidelines from
SRH are no flying for 6 weeks, I struggled to get travel insurance as I had not had my post op follow up with consultant. I would recommend checking with your provider as I had a nightmare sourcing travel insurance in the end I ended up paying about £250 to ensure I was covered - just thought it may be worth sharing my issues -good luck :)

I had my op over 3 weeks ago so will be 7 weeks clear when I fly which means I am good to go - It was one of the first questions I asked when I got given my date.

I've got my flight socks with me and an aisle seat booked so I can rome the aisles every hour. I did ask the hospital about contiuning to take the injections up to when I go but they said I would be fine.

I do need to book my travel insurance though which I havent done yet so I better start looking now so thanks for the heads up ladies!

Nxx

Urgh just looking now and no one recognises 'Gastris Sleeve' in the drop down search options!! They have bands and bypassed but not sleeve......

You might need to give a few different companies a call and discuss it with them.
I'm really jealous, I haven't booked a holiday this year as I don't want to book anything that would clash with my op date...so I'm stuck with an English summer this year:cry:
Hope you have a lovely lovely time
Em xxxx

Back