• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On all inclusive holiday 3 weeks before Op!!

stefletcher28

Hi everyone, I'm booked in to be banded on 30th June with Doc.Sigurdsson @ THG Bromsgrove.

The trouble is I'm booked to go away to Morocco for a 2 week all inclusive holiday and arrive back in the UK 1 week and 2 days before my op date.

The patient care coordinator said I need to lose 4kg to shrink my liver etc. prior to the op. I'm just a bit concerned whether I'll have the time to do it following the holiday.

I've started doing the milk diet today which I'm going to try for a couple of weeks prior to going away as my theory is that if I can shift as much weight as possible before the hol, try and stick to low carb food while away and then restart the milk diet on my return, then I should be ok?

Would appreciate any advice though, the op is being done privately, would they still cancel it if I hadn't lost the required weight?

What on earth do I do about holiday clothes?? I don't really want to spend loads on a load of summer clothes that, if all goes to plan, I'll never wear again! :rolleyes:

I don't think losing the weight before your holiday will work as you need to use up your glycogen stores to shrink your liver.

Saying that some with low bmi's only do one week. Best to check with your provider?

I only had to do 1 week pre op my bmi was 43. If you are going private why don't you push it back a week?
Seems a shame for you to be going on a wonderful holiday whilst in the back of your mind being worried and not fully enjoying enjoying yourself x

Could you try just sticking to healthy eating while on holiday. It's so easy with all inc because there is loads of salad fruit and fish and meat. Xxx

you need to speak to your team because it is not unheard of if the liver is not shrunk enough for them not to do surgery and that would be horrid .

My pre-op was 1 week only hun cant see it being a problem aslong as u start as soon as you come home. My diet was unlimited NO fat yogurts tea /coffee no sugar and drink plenty of water or no added sugar Juice. Surgeon said my liver had shrunk wonderfully with no complications. It was tidious but do able good luck and enjoy ur holiday. xx

Last edited:
I was nhs and I was on a cruise just before the first date I was offered. I told them and they put it back. I am not really sure if you are going private why you don't put it back and allow yourself the time to do the diet?
Thing is its important because there are folk on here who have had the op only for them to be unable to finish it because the liver is in the way.

Hi everyone and thanks for the advice, unfortunately pushing the op back isn't an option due to commitments later in July that I need to be recovered for. I've really had to slot it in as best I can.

I am heartened by those that say it is possible within 1 week. From past experience I can lose a certain amount of weight quite quickly, its just that I can't generally get past the 2 stone barrier and end up putting it all back on and then some, hopefully the band will help me break that pattern and give me more consistent and prolonged weight loss.

I think with regards to the holiday I'm going to be sensible, keep it as low carb as possible to try and use up those glycogen reserves and then really hit it hard when I get back. I'm a big meat lover so should still be able to enjoy my hol while working towards my goal.

Thanks all again. Steve xx

Be aware, that the milk diet you will follow is for liver shrinking and to prepare your body for surgery and as such, losing weight is not the aim of it. Some people do and lose quite a lot, some people don't lose anything but a couple of lbs. If you can't change the holiday, and you can't change the day of surgery, then the other option is to limit and change your eating habits while you're away to really limit what you're doing.

Alternatively, if it doesn't work, you could face coming around from surgery with them not having done it because the liver hasn't shrunk enough, then that would do more than hamper your plans for the end of july . . .

Back