• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

alternative to fybogel

Paula1975

is there any alternative i can have instead of fybogel, i just tried to have my first one, its making me gag :(

Oohh heck , is it really horrid ???

Something to look forward to next week then :(...

I dunno what else you can use, it only says that
pre op diet list ..

Nicky xx

Glass of prune juice or v8. I use those two or a movicol

is that ok on the milk/yoghurt pre op

the sheets say senakot for after op obviously no laxatives.

You will have to follow the pre op exactly to the letter, but why dont you go up the chemist and see if they have an alternative to those yukky fybogels.

Kim

Hi, senna, sennokot, dulcolax are all a form of laxative, they can be quite strong so take with care and follow the instructions to avoid being caught out. The other things you can buy at the pharmacy other than fybogel are dulcoease which is a softener and lactulose which is sickly sugary and is classed as a little gentler than senna type laxatives. Prune juice is v good, pharmacies also sell syrup of figs. Check with your provider as to which you can take. The above are all available without a prescription. Although prune juice is not very nice one glass a day can help. But the diets we are given often say just one glass of fruit juice a day because of the natural sugars.
Hope that helps. I work in healthcare but as I am six weeks post op I have also been there worn the tshirt pulled the face! :-/ not the nicest side effect of our diet change. I am fancying getting some benefibre powder which is apparently tasteless and you sprinkle it in your drinks etc and that is supposed to help. I keep trying to convince myself my weight loss is slow because of the above problem!! X

Benefibre :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Huracaneal said:
i find the best way to take fyborgel is to mix it in ice cold water and drink it straight away not giving it chance to thicken up in the glass the less water you can use is better and easier to get down in one go
but don't forget its not 1 of your 5 a day lol

Thanks for that went down alot easier today

Not sure about pre-op, but definitely post op I will be making blended soup using head of broccoli, half head celery, one stock cube (beef, chicken or veg) black pepper and 2 cloves garlic. Tastes much better thanit sounds and keeps everything regular - very successful when used in 2009 when I was on Cambridge diet and had terrible problems.

lyzzyanne said:
Dulcoease keeps everything soft and moving!!!

Can u have this post op?

I was banded on Friday and have been taking Dulcoease, they are tiny! Unfortunately, they weren't strong enough so have had to resort to Dulcolax today (also tiny) I took 2 and my goodness they did the trick.......thought I was in labour again.......sorry if TMI x

Yes, I am post op and have one a day it honestly keeps things going for me!!! pre op i got caught out on the first milk diet, i was desperate to make sure it didn't happen again.

Back