• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

alternative to milk diet?

gr09

hi everyone
i was just wondering what ill be given as a pre-op diet as im lactose intolerant and also allergic to dairy.

obviously 2-4 weeks on milk is gonna make me very ill so im just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same boat

Might just have a low cal diet or a low cal low carb diet, or your provider may favour things like shakes etc seems to be so many different diets out there

It made me ill ( how I found out I was intolerant) so I did a week of milk and 3 weeks of very low calorie.

hi everyone
i was just wondering what ill be given as a pre-op diet as im lactose intolerant and also allergic to dairy.

obviously 2-4 weeks on milk is gonna make me very ill so im just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same boat
Have you not discussed it with the dietician???? I'm lactose intolerant and not looking forward to how much i need to spend on all this milk i'll need as Lactofree is much more expensive. I may invest in Lactase Enzyme tablets if allowed so i can drink normal milk.

If you tell your dietician about your intolerance they will give you something to suit.

I dic low fat low carb, but as was self funded it really was my choice.

I don't think that choice really comes into it. My understanding is that to shrink your liver enough for successful surgery you need to have a significant calorie deficit for between 1&3 weeks pre-op depending on your initial weight/BMI. The usual aim is to allow laparoscopic ( keyhole) surgery.
Different teams have different approaches to this & it may also be influenced by the post op diet plan too.

Some providers just ask you to follow a sensible diet. Some a diet sheet of specific food and measurements some just low fat low carb some the milk diet some meal replacement shakes. Some make you do two weeks, some one some none!
If you are lactose intolerant there may be another type of diet your provider would be happy with you doing. I didn't have to do anything but I had some Cambridge stuff in a cupboard so I did that for a week.

Back