• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet

Dodsie

Just had a thought guys - I will be on the pre-op diet over Xmas!
I know that I can manage that as I get real pleasure from feeding everyone else.
My concerns are that I have a lactose intolerance so wont be able to do the milk thing.
I understand that there is an alternative high-protein option (similar to the Atkins diet) - does anyone know about this? x

Hi Dodsie, just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your pre op diet, especially over Christmas! :eek: I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon but I know you can have the option of the very low cal diet which doesn't have to involve milk, I think it's basically eating normal low fat foods totalling no more than 800cals per day. I hate the taste of milk so did slimfasts for 2 weeks but that wouldn't be much use to you!

Your dietician should give you all the info you will need.

Very best of luck, :D
Cuppa xx

Hi Dodsie just want to say hi and echo what cuppa says about contacting your wl people :)

Good luck Xx

Hi Dodsie

Totally agree with the ladies above. My dietician has given me a diet sheet with 4 different options. I am sure if you remind them that you are lactose intolerant they will have an alternative for you.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.

I know they have the milk diet and a vlcd at my hospital as diabetics need to follow a food diet. Check with your provider xx

Hi ... I'm with St Richards Chichester and am on an alternative to the milk diet.

Breakfast is either 1 or 2 eggs (poached, scrambled) OR 1 or 2 bits of bacon (grilled) PLUS grilled tomatoes and boiled mushrooms

Lunch Salad with 4 oz meat (like chicken, ham, turkey or salmon or tuna) you can have this with fat free dressing

Dinner: gammon steaks, steak, chicken, fish (like tuna steaks, salmon fillets or cod fillets) - choose one of them and cook it fat free. serve with lots of vegetables

NO POTATOES, NO BREAD, NO CARBY STUFF LIKE PASTA, BISCUITS, OR COUSCOUS.

You can add 3 pieces of fruit or (one can be substitued for small glass fruit juice) 1 low fat diet yoghurt and half pint of milk.

Lots of clear fluids.

First day is horrendous (well it was for me - i've just started) carb cravings were really high. Second day slightly better. 3rd day much better and today my 4th day easier still (I ended up having gammon and a large leafy salad - lots of crunchy veggies not cooked) and I feel really well.

I've used the fruit to nibble throughout the day. Remembering that with some dieting places 2 small satsumas = 1 portion of fruit, 1 banana and i've had a glass of fruit juice as my 3rd fruit option.

I just feel really good - not sure if i'm loosing weight but don't care as my op is next week on 27th : ))

So effectively, you could have christmas dinner (oh you can have gravy too) it would just mean no roast parsnips and potatoes (very hard I know) but you could have turkey and if you just had tomatoes and mushrooms for brekkie you could save your bacon and add that to your turkey maybe?? so that it felt a bit more luxurious? and then you'd have to forgo the christmas pud - a load of empty calories and heart cloggers anyhow - you dont need them : ))

Maybe you could have a goats milk yoghurt or soya yoghurt poured over some sliced up fruit salad for pudding.

If you cram your plate full of veggies (the obligatory brussels, carrots, etc) you'll shouldnt feel like you are missing out too much, and you can have the gravy too.

Its all positive stuff.

Of course, your hospital (not sure where you are?) might have a different pre op alternative.

Hope this has been of help.

Julie

thanks everyone - a great relief!!
Julie thats sound ideal - not bothered about the pud anyway - might miss my mash on boxing day tho!!
Still all in a good cause......

thanks everyone - a great relief!!
Julie thats sound ideal - not bothered about the pud anyway - might miss my mash on boxing day tho!!
Still all in a good cause......

Hi ... just to let you know that I've now done 6 days of that diet and found the first two days incredibly hard when it came to carb cravings (omg were they hard) ... well, after banning the children from eating slices of toast anywhere near my nose shot (lol) i'm doing well ... the bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms are becoming a daily ritual along with a small glass of apple juice (during the week this is a 6.15am ritual !) and it keeps me going for nearly 6 hours until lunch time at 12 noon when I go for a salad with some ham or chicken and then a yoghurt and banana and once again that keeps me going through until about 6.30pm for dinner ... no cravings for the sweet stuff (mind you a banana and yoghurt help stave those off, because they in themselves are sweet).

You can do it - you won't miss potatoes after a couple of days honestly, or the toast (which I thought was going to be incredibly hard) I am the worlds worst person for munching on toast and well if I can do it, so can anyone ...

roll on next Friday (quickly) is all I have to say : ))

Good luck with the diet when you get there.

Julie x

Even tho i absolutely hate milk with a passion... Ive agreed to give milk a whirl first before i move on to try veg and lettuce

I start my pre op next week.

Good luck with everything keep ya chin up!

Good luck to all of ya with ur pre op`s. I start mine on the 14th December but i am on mine for 8 weeks, the reason being is that surgery is mid Feb but in case a cancellation comes up mid Jan then at least i would of been on the pre op for a month. The longest u can be on a pre op is 8 weeks, so fingers crossed fora cancellation lol

Back