• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am i doing this right???

Sarah T

Im 10 days post op and am really happy that I have finally had this op done... looking forward to the new me at last!! Im still on the pureed food and seem to be managing quite well so far, but am just wondering if there are guidelines for how much I should be loosing. I have lost 17lb post op, but this was over the first 7 days - with nothing since....and am having a bit of a panic that I might have broken it :D?? I know everyone is different, but are there any rough guidelines for what to expect week on week...?? thanks for your help

Its early days, your body has been through a major trauma just keep following your guidelines it will come off xx

Hi Sarah.
I had the bypass on 6th May and lost around 17lbs in the first 10 days or so. Then nothing. Absolutely no loss for just over three weeks, in fact I even gained three pounds during that time. Apparently this is quite normal. It also seems to be common for people to lose quickly for a week or two, then stop for a couple of weeks, throughout their time after the bypass.
My loss started again and I've been losing around a pound a day for the past week. I think I've finally got it in my head that it's probably best to get weighed monthly rather than weekly (or even daily as I was). I was thinking that my weight loss is slow, but when put into the context of me having lost 24lbs in 6 weeks, I find that amazing and I am well on my personal target of a stone a month for the first couple of months - then I suspect my loss will slow down, so I'm aiming for half a stone a month for the following couple of months.

The other thing I would say, is to measure yourself. Whilst I wasn't losing weight, I was losing inches. I lost one to two inches from each arm, leg etc, but an amazing 14 inches from my hips over a week.

It will come, it is 'normal' - just keep telling yourself that and as difficult as it is, record your weight monthly. You will get there. Good luck x x

Back