• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lifting after Bypass

izzy31

Hi
I have been flicking through the threads for some time now and think this is a fantastic forum with great advice!
I am going in for bypass op on the 8th July (3 days into pre op slimfast diet and feeling terrible!).
Can anyone advise me when i can lift my little girl she is 19 months and 21lb or is it just when you feel able as everyone heals at different levels or are there strict guidelines?

Thanks x

Hi Izzy and:welcome2: to mini's. I'm a bander so can't really advise you on this. I would imagine though that its going to be a couple of weeks before you feel up to lifting. Maybe it would be better for you to sit and let someone place her on your knee so you're not pulling on your stomach too much.

Hi Izzy,

You will need to wait a week or 2 before you can lift her. I lifted my nephew about 1 week post op and it wasn't a great feeling! The muscles get moved around and need time to heal so it is important that you don't lift too much or bend over too much as is can damage the internal stitches etc.

there was a post on here a fair while back but i cant remember who posted it but i thought it was a great idea for people that have little ones, if i remember rightly is was to get a colourfull scarf and tie it around the waist/stomach before the op and tell the child that this is the area mummy will be sore and not to touch this area and this is the reason also why mummy cant pick you up for a little while, its a simple warning code that works well with very young children that they can understand and they will visably see the scarf after the op and know what to expect x

I've been told 6 weeks till I can lift my darling granddaughter:D

Back