• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is this right?

wobbles

As you all know, i had my bypass last Wednesday, 22nd october. Just over a week later, i am able to eat toast, porridge, mashed potato and gravy, rice, and tonight have had a piece of sausage.

Should i be able to eat solid foods like this so soon?

I also feel hungry when i've not eaten in a few hours, my tummy rumbles, and i feel hunger.

I get my staples out tomorrow morning, but i'm confused as to why, when everyone else, and the literature says i will need to be on pureed food for 4 to 6 weeks, i'm able to eat normal food, without problems, and do fee hunger.

Should i be concerned?

To date i have lost 1 stone 4.5pounds since starting pre op diet, so that's just over 2 weeks.

The only pain or discomfort i know have is occasional wind pain, and pain when i take the 7 tablets each morning.

Hi Erin,

I was on mash and gravy one week post op, along with mushy peas, macaroni cheese and a few other things! BUT I was naughty. If it's not causing you problems then go with what you want to go with, but try and stay sloppy for another couple of weeks and leave the toast.

As Shel says, if it's working, go with it (lucky you!) Having said this, be prepared! What works now may not in a weeks time!!

Hi,

I was on mash and pureed stuff 3 days after op. If you are tolerating it, then good for you! I also had toast, which was given to me in hospital! I was on pureed for 2 weeks, soft for another 2 and a normal diet from week 5/6. BUT Follow what your surgeon and nutritionist have set for you. Agree with keeping it sloppy. You really dont want to get anything stuck so early on in the healing process. Watch the fat and sugar content as you know. Well done for doing so well!

Cant help with the hunger, I had to force myself to eat at first....Is it real hunger or "head hunger?" Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids also.

Good luck,

Kel xx

Hi thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out why i should and need to stay on sloppies, and i realise it's because i need to give my stomach as much chance as possible to heal to avoid problems in the future, but also because it means i'll lose weight sooner.

I've not yet seen a dietician or nutritionist, i was only given a booklet from the surgeon which gives a basic outline which is why i think i've been confused.

I'm going to stick to soft and sloppies for at least another week and in that time, i'll put together my own low fat recipe cook book.

Thanks again.

Back