• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Amaranth Supergrain...anyone used it?

Red 42

novice bypasser
I went to get some Quinoa today but my local Asda & Morrisons don't stock it :rolleyes:

what I did find was some Amaranth grain and I was wondering if anyone has used it? it's supposed to be high in protein and was wondering if it can be used in the same way as quinoa, couscous etc...unfortunately the pack didn't come with instructions.

any tips would be most useful...thankyou :)

Sorry its quick but i am supposed to be working!!!!

thanks Scrunchie...I don't think it's as widely known as the other grains, but I'll give it a go until I get some quinoa.

will try to make a risotto with it later & see how it works.

now, get back to work Missus :pcwhack: :D

I had a go at making Mushroom Risotto and a milk pudding for tea tonight using the aramanth, it was nice but because the grain is really fine (almost like semolina when cooked but still holds its grain) my concern is that it will slide through the band easily although it also depends on what you mix with it.

Mushroom Risotto (enough for 2 meals)

4 large mushrooms sliced
3 cloves of garlic sliced
2 tsp mushroom sauce
200ml aramanth grain
500ml veg stock

fry the sliced mushrooms and garlic in a little olive oil (or spray oil), I added some mushroom sauce for extra flavour.
stir in the aramanth grain then add the stock
simmer for approx 20-25 mins.

would probably be nice with a few parmesan shavings.

Aramanth milk pudding (enough for 3 adults)

200g aramanth
500ml skimmed milk
1 egg
nutmeg
vanilla extract
powdered sweetner to taste.

mix milk, egg & vanilla extract in jug. put aramanth & powdered sweetner into ovenproof dish and pour milk mixture over, stir then sprinkle with nutmeg.

bake in oven for 30 mins, then as required thereafter until baked & firm.

hubby & son both really enjoyed the milk pudding :)

Back