• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Angry.

MoonCake

I'm so angry and confused right now.

As some of you remember I wrote to my MP to help me as I had been refused twice since 2010 for Bariatric surgery..

I've applied again and just heard back from my MP (who is being very helpful and kind) but the guy he heard back from has written that they got my application in 2010 and 2011 and wrote back to my doctor asking for more information...

I was told on both times that I didn't qualify with the criteria!!!!!!!!!?!

The letter says I have never been turned down, just they need more info.

I'm so angry with my doctor. Il be making an appointment to see him and taking the letter.

They say I need to prove I've had weight management, which since 2010 I've tried xenical, LighterLife and Cambridge and now I'm under the dietician at the hospital. I've tried. I'm hoping that's enough?

Sorry about the rant, just a bit confused and upset they havent supported me right

MoonCake xXx

Right calm down. You are right to be angry but let's turn that into positivity & moving things forward. In some ways this is hopeful in that the PCT has said it hasn't turned you down but presumably you have letters say they did? Yes you need to have this out with your doctor, yes you need to re-list you weight management journey with proof. This looks like classic NHS lack of communication. Very frustrating but I firmly believe you can get this sorted & your MP can still help once you've got your GPs answers to this. Take a deep breath, go forward but don't give up. Good luck.

This kind of thing is sadly very common with GPs misinforming patients. Speak to your GP - it doesn't have to be a confrontation and if you're still not satisfied speak to the practice manager.

Look at it positively Mooncake, if you've never actually been turned down, there's every chance you'll be accepted.
It sounds like your MP is on the ball, so here's hoping things start moving forward in a positive way for you very soon.
Best of luck
Em xxxx

Fingers n toes crossed for you love x

Well good luck. Generally when they talk about "weight management" in the criteria this means that you have attended a practice/hospital based level 2 Weight management programme for 12 weeks - you can not move on to level 3 (which is where the surgical help comes) unless you have completed level 1 and 2 - most of us have done level 1 before we even go to the GP as it's "try to loose weight" - so worse case you may have to complete a course, do you have any other co morbidities?
x

I had done different tablets, weight watchers, seen dietician and had monthly checks with my gp, then was referred for funding in feb 2011, they wrote back saying I fitted the criteria but had to attend weight management, which I thought I'd been doing, before they would fund me. Then the nhs pulled all funding from April last year has to sit tight till nov when weight management was being funded again, my doctor referred me , I did a six week course in Jan this year then was given the funding go ahead in April. Sounds like you will need to go on a weight management programme then you'll be ok. It's taken me 2 years from referral to get to where I am now, started the referral process in June 2010. lots of patience and jumping through hoops, I'm still taking metformin and have appointment with consultant on 21st Sept, so excited now. Good luck with your journey.

Back