• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another new sleevie.

AlphaEcho

Hi,

Another one to add to the list of sleevers, had my Op on Monday by Mr Marcus Reddy. Ever since I decided to have this op I've been pretty relaxed about it all, no real excitement or concerns, and as yesterday was my first time going into hospital it was all going to be a new experience for me.

So at 06:00 my cab arrived to take me to Parkside Hospital, after a bit of waiting around (my fault arrived quite a bit early) I was taken to my room and met the Staff Nurse who was looking after me for the day. After form filling, being weighed and having an ECG I was given a gown (that easily fitted), dressing gown and the most unflattering pair of pants I've ever seen, they were more like a hairnet and very snug along with a pair of equally sexy compression stockings.

At about 08:00 I was seen by my surgeon who went through and explained everything for me, shortly afterwards I met the anaesthetist who also went through what would be going on. Now it was just a case of sitting around in my room to be taken downstairs.

About 11:00 one of the theatre staff came to my room to collect me and take me to the theatre, once settled down on the trolley and hooked up to a heart monitor, pulse/ox monitor and BP cuff it was time to relax and wait, and wait. I was with one of the theatre staff and we had a long chat really got very relaxed, so chilled out my pulse was in the mid 60's. Apparently the anaesthetist had been called to elsewhere in the hospital to attend to an elderly patient so I was more than happy to wait and chat.

At 12:00 it was all systems go the anaesthetists assistant arrived and attached some foot supports to the end of the trolley along with some extra bits on the side for my arms to rest on, they then put some cuffs around my lower legs, the anaesthetist then arrived and put a line in the back of my hand, l hardly noticed him do it as it was a really fine needle. I was then given an injection that made me feel slightly lightheaded and some oxygen to breathe, after a couple of minutes it was time to knock me out after which he attached a syringe to my cannula and began injecting the drug, and that was the last I knew of it.

The first time I remember seeing on a clock was 3:00pm but I had been awake for a bit before then, just not sure how long. I was told that the surgery should take less than an hour beforehand, so had probably been awake for awhile. I remember being asked about if I was feeling any pain or felt sick, the answer to both was yes. Now you have to remember I'm a bloke and despite what we always say we don't do pain, well I don't. So to me my pain level was about a 6 out of 10, for most others it would most possibly be about a 4. I was given a shot of morphine and that bought it down to a 4, followed by another shot a few minutes later, which got me to 2. They were obviously feeling sorry for me so I was given an injection of something else that totally took the pain away along with one which stopped me feeling sick. My throat was very dry so was given some water to sip on, and with that it was back to my room. They had already transferred me onto my own bed downstairs before I came round so there was no shuffling from one to another.

I then had some inflateable cuffs put on my legs that kept blowing up and deflating, I was told they were to help prevent DVT, I asked how long I had to have them on for, and was told until you get up and start walking around. Realising there was no way I was going to sleep with them on at 4:30 I was up out of bed, saline drip in hand and after a brief wobble off to the toilet. My surgeon deliberately doesn't cathertarise you and so you have to get up to go to the toilet if you need to go and don't want a bottle!

At 5:00pm my surgeon came to see me and was pleased to see me up and about, I had already had a small cup of coffee to drink and he said I could have some smooth soup and yoghurt if I wanted it.

So at dinner time I had about 6 spoonfulls of soup and half a small muller light smooth yoghurt - that didn't taste of anything, but maybe that was due to the anaesthetic. Spent the rest of the evening sipping water before being pumped full of drugs for the night, I was given antibiotics, some anti nausea medication through my cannula along with something else I can't remember, then had a blood thinning injection into my stomach - didn't feel a thing, so no worries there. Then had some anti-reflux tablets crushed up in water, followed by my normal meds, crushed up in water, finally followed by some soluble paracetamol.

A new drip was hung up and I was left in peace until 10pm where they came to take my obs, they did the same again at midnight and put a new drip up to replenish the other one along with my final dose of paracetamol for the night. So it was then off to sleep, well kind of, with a drip attached and still on an oxygen mask as my saturation level kept dropping to about 90 without it I wasn't going to get much sleep, then it was obs every two hours throughout the night. At 6:00am I was given some more paracetamol, didn't really need them as there was only the slightest bit of discomfort, along with three other syringes full of antibiotics, anti nausea and the one I can't remember what it's for.

I got away with only 4 incisions and no drain and feel extremely comfortable. Had a tiny bit of trapped wind but have so far taken 2 Deflatin (one last night and one this morning) which I sucked on and allowed to disolve in my mouth.

At 8:00am my surgeon came to see me and was pleased as to how I was going and said the drip could come out, so will have a bit more freedom instead of having to remember to take it with me when I get up and will get the chance to have a shower shortly.

The only other thing I discovered was my urine is now dark green! Was a bit alarming at first but I asked my surgeon about it, with a smile on his face he said, sorry forgot to warn you about that. He said he filled my stomach up with a blue dye to check for leaks before he finished and when it makes its way out of the body it turns green.

Today is a day of pottering around to see how I feel and the plan is home tomorrow - so now it's breakfast time and I'm looking forward to my cup of tea and a yoghurt.

For all of you due to be sleeved soon, relax, don't stress and go with the flow - it's not scary at all, and if I can do it anyone can. And for all of you who wished me well prior to my op thank you very much it was most appreciated.

AE

Great to hear from you and a really good account of your experience. Hope you enjoy your cup of tea - maybe it will help dilute the green a little!! :D

Justine x

Thanks Justine, it was the best cup of tea I've had for ages only had half my yoghurt as I don't really know when I'm full yet and don't want to over do it.

I'm used to the Green now hopefully it will go soon :eek:

AE

Congrats AE on your sleeve and welcome your new life. If I saw green urine I think I would be alarmed to lol. Your account of your experience was really good and very similar to my own. Again well done :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Thanks AE, that's a great report and what wonderful news that you're up and about already, albeit with Shrek-wee ;)

Hope you carry on healing and can move around a bit more today ahead of being discharged soon.

Sending vibes for a happy and healthy post-sleeved life!

Am glad all went ok AlphaEcho, wishing you a speedy recovery x

Nicky x

Congratulations AE. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get discharged soon :)

AE, yes we have a really good surgeon, I am a couple of weeks ahead of you. I had a room overlooking Wimbledon Common, nice on the rare occasions I did get of bed, but traffic!

Have you had the physio lady annoy you yet ?

I also had another lady come and see me, but I was too out of reality to remember who she was, only thing that I am sure of is that I didn't dream her!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your kind words feeling pretty good today, although seems I didn't escape all the trapped gas but it's more annoying than anything else. Even had the anaesthetist drop by this afternoon to see how I was and ask for any feedback which I thought was nice, he was happy with everything so naturally I am as well.

Just had my dressings changed and there healing up well, much smaller than I thought they would be, no stitches or anything just a couple of steri-strips keeping them closed.

Has anyone else been given a DVD of their Op? I have can't wait to get home and watch or is that just my gory side :D

AE, yes we have a really good surgeon, I am a couple of weeks ahead of you. I had a room overlooking Wimbledon Common, nice on the rare occasions I did get of bed, but traffic!

Have you had the physio lady annoy you yet ?

I also had another lady come and see me, but I was too out of reality to remember who she was, only thing that I am sure of is that I didn't dream her!

My view is of the main road and the pelican crossing right out front, not as lucky as you and I'm next to the nurses station, so with that and the traffic it will be good to get back to my own bed, but not having much sleep for a few days is well worth it.

Oh yes I've seen the physio lady, she was more or less waiting for me to get back to my room, telling me to lift my legs up and down, another good reason to get out of bed quickly and go for a walk to keep her quiet. I guess she means well but timing is maybe a little out.

Thanks everyone for your continued support.

AE.

Who was your anaesthetist ?

My room was at the other end of the corridor from you, pretty noisy as well.

On the day I left I had a nurse I hadn't seen before insisting twice that I have a really big cooked breakfast before I leave.... Choose an answer...

1) does that come with chocolate croissant
2) I punched her
3) for f's sake.... Then she was saved by my normal nurse that brought me yoghurt (albeit cheap & nasty)

Oh yes the physio lady..... :grumble: I even tried the direct 'no', so I followed it passing out on her :D When I said no, I meant it :D

Yep, got a DVD, breakfast tv, eat your heart out !!!

Christ on a cracker, I hope the DVD is a Parkside thing!

I can't imagine a worse horror movie ...

I've been warned that I'll be offered a standard menu in spite of the nature of my procedure - duh.

Hope you're doing OK today, AE. My turn tomorrow and I'm in frantic displacement activity mode - eek.

Hi,
Who was your anaesthetist ?
Yep, got a DVD, breakfast tv, eat your heart out !!!
He was a Dr Nick Fletcher who is part of Marcus Reddys team I think he works with him all the time on these ops.

Christ on a cracker, I hope the DVD is a Parkside thing!

Hope you're doing OK today, AE. My turn tomorrow and I'm in frantic displacement activity mode - eek.
I've just got home and haven't had a look yet, although I'm not squeamish and am quite looking forward to it.

Bad wind day today unfortunately woke me up early and am having trouble getting rid of it, tried a couple of Deflatin & WindSettlers but no joy yet. But if it's the worst to put up with then it's no problem it's just annoying.

Will be thinking about you tomorrow, just try and relax into it and everything will be fine. Marcus will take very good care of you, everyone at Parkside really liked him and had nothing but good things to say. I'm sure they will be saying them same where you are.

Try not to worry - you're going to be OK, let us know how you get on.

AE

Congrats on op and thanks for sharing! I'm jealous that you have a DVD of it though! I would have loved that- the nhs need more funding lol! Take care and good luck with the food stages!

Hi,

Another one to add to the list of sleevers, had my Op on Monday by Mr Marcus Reddy. Ever since I decided to have this op I've been pretty relaxed about it all, no real excitement or concerns, and as yesterday was my first time going into hospital it was all going to be a new experience for me.

So at 06:00 my cab arrived to take me to Parkside Hospital, after a bit of waiting around (my fault arrived quite a bit early) I was taken to my room and met the Staff Nurse who was looking after me for the day. After form filling, being weighed and having an ECG I was given a gown (that easily fitted), dressing gown and the most unflattering pair of pants I've ever seen, they were more like a hairnet and very snug along with a pair of equally sexy compression stockings.

At about 08:00 I was seen by my surgeon who went through and explained everything for me, shortly afterwards I met the anaesthetist who also went through what would be going on. Now it was just a case of sitting around in my room to be taken downstairs.

About 11:00 one of the theatre staff came to my room to collect me and take me to the theatre, once settled down on the trolley and hooked up to a heart monitor, pulse/ox monitor and BP cuff it was time to relax and wait, and wait. I was with one of the theatre staff and we had a long chat really got very relaxed, so chilled out my pulse was in the mid 60's. Apparently the anaesthetist had been called to elsewhere in the hospital to attend to an elderly patient so I was more than happy to wait and chat.

At 12:00 it was all systems go the anaesthetists assistant arrived and attached some foot supports to the end of the trolley along with some extra bits on the side for my arms to rest on, they then put some cuffs around my lower legs, the anaesthetist then arrived and put a line in the back of my hand, l hardly noticed him do it as it was a really fine needle. I was then given an injection that made me feel slightly lightheaded and some oxygen to breathe, after a couple of minutes it was time to knock me out after which he attached a syringe to my cannula and began injecting the drug, and that was the last I knew of it.

The first time I remember seeing on a clock was 3:00pm but I had been awake for a bit before then, just not sure how long. I was told that the surgery should take less than an hour beforehand, so had probably been awake for awhile. I remember being asked about if I was feeling any pain or felt sick, the answer to both was yes. Now you have to remember I'm a bloke and despite what we always say we don't do pain, well I don't. So to me my pain level was about a 6 out of 10, for most others it would most possibly be about a 4. I was given a shot of morphine and that bought it down to a 4, followed by another shot a few minutes later, which got me to 2. They were obviously feeling sorry for me so I was given an injection of something else that totally took the pain away along with one which stopped me feeling sick. My throat was very dry so was given some water to sip on, and with that it was back to my room. They had already transferred me onto my own bed downstairs before I came round so there was no shuffling from one to another.

I then had some inflateable cuffs put on my legs that kept blowing up and deflating, I was told they were to help prevent DVT, I asked how long I had to have them on for, and was told until you get up and start walking around. Realising there was no way I was going to sleep with them on at 4:30 I was up out of bed, saline drip in hand and after a brief wobble off to the toilet. My surgeon deliberately doesn't cathertarise you and so you have to get up to go to the toilet if you need to go and don't want a bottle!

At 5:00pm my surgeon came to see me and was pleased to see me up and about, I had already had a small cup of coffee to drink and he said I could have some smooth soup and yoghurt if I wanted it.

So at dinner time I had about 6 spoonfulls of soup and half a small muller light smooth yoghurt - that didn't taste of anything, but maybe that was due to the anaesthetic. Spent the rest of the evening sipping water before being pumped full of drugs for the night, I was given antibiotics, some anti nausea medication through my cannula along with something else I can't remember, then had a blood thinning injection into my stomach - didn't feel a thing, so no worries there. Then had some anti-reflux tablets crushed up in water, followed by my normal meds, crushed up in water, finally followed by some soluble paracetamol.

A new drip was hung up and I was left in peace until 10pm where they came to take my obs, they did the same again at midnight and put a new drip up to replenish the other one along with my final dose of paracetamol for the night. So it was then off to sleep, well kind of, with a drip attached and still on an oxygen mask as my saturation level kept dropping to about 90 without it I wasn't going to get much sleep, then it was obs every two hours throughout the night. At 6:00am I was given some more paracetamol, didn't really need them as there was only the slightest bit of discomfort, along with three other syringes full of antibiotics, anti nausea and the one I can't remember what it's for.

I got away with only 4 incisions and no drain and feel extremely comfortable. Had a tiny bit of trapped wind but have so far taken 2 Deflatin (one last night and one this morning) which I sucked on and allowed to disolve in my mouth.

At 8:00am my surgeon came to see me and was pleased as to how I was going and said the drip could come out, so will have a bit more freedom instead of having to remember to take it with me when I get up and will get the chance to have a shower shortly.

The only other thing I discovered was my urine is now dark green! Was a bit alarming at first but I asked my surgeon about it, with a smile on his face he said, sorry forgot to warn you about that. He said he filled my stomach up with a blue dye to check for leaks before he finished and when it makes its way out of the body it turns green.

Today is a day of pottering around to see how I feel and the plan is home tomorrow - so now it's breakfast time and I'm looking forward to my cup of tea and a yoghurt.

For all of you due to be sleeved soon, relax, don't stress and go with the flow - it's not scary at all, and if I can do it anyone can. And for all of you who wished me well prior to my op thank you very much it was most appreciated.

AE

I had a sleeve done which I was totally unprepared for as it was meant to be a bypass,but due to scar tissue & previous illness a sleeve was my only option,so I really am flying by the seat of my pants,surgeon could not wake me to ask if a sleeve procedure was ok I am now home pottering around,7 cuts & bruising,quite some discomfort especially bending,getting out of bed & out of a chair,what are you drinking & eating at this stage?

Hi kjb,

Wow that must have been a shock going in for one procedure and ending up with a different one. This is my 2nd day at home and I'm still plagued by trapped wind but it's getting better. Pain wise not too bad, hospital mucked up my meds a bit was due to be given dispersible paracetamol but they gave me normal tablets, so too big, tried crushing them down but they taste awful in a bit of water so got some dispersible ones but have only taken one dose today.

Food wise has been the following:
09:00 - Breakfast - about 150mls of ready mixed slimfast
11:00 - Mid Morning snack - the remaining 175mls from the slimfast bottle
13:00 - Lunch - about 150mls of Pea & Ham Soup liquidised and with a bit of milk to thin it out.
16:00 - Mid Afternoon snack - as breakfast.
19:00 - Dinner - see Lunch
21:00 - Supper - 150mls of Ovaltine

I know I'm not taking in as much fluid as I should but I reckon that as I'm only 3 days after surgery things are still a bit swollen and this will increase over time. The quantities above are a bit of a struggle and I don't always make it and stop as I begin to fill full.

Good luck with yours and I hope your discomfort eases soon.

AE.

I am mainly drinking vitamin shake x 1,NAS juices,tea,coffee,orange juice,tried a little pea soup,bloody awful tasting,tried ice cream last night,no trouble,sent the wife out for supplies now,I do find all my shoulders & back is aching today,probably comes with being mauled & anaesthetic

21:00 - Supper - 150mls of Ovaltine

Is this the normal malted ovaltine made with milk or the light option with water?

Its the normal one made with milk.

My post-op diet says I should be trying to drink a pint of milk a day - unfortunately I hate the taste of milk with a passion so will do anything to hide it.

The Ovaltine option seems to work quite well and tastes OK, whether it's related to that or not I slept really well last night, or it could have been the fact I was back in my own bed.

Haven't tried juices yet and have only had a couple of cups of tea, I find I'm so full after having the set time meals that I don't really want anything in between even though I should.

I just tried a blissful banana slim fast they smell like sh*t,up-to now I have had ww chicken soup,ice cream,mainly tea & squash vitamin shakes & finally moved the cobwebs on,oh how the little things in life seem to mean the most,well pleased that I am functioning as god intended

I have never been able to get away with anything Banana flavoured, even just the thought of it makes me want to...bork

John. NHS Sleeve Gastrectomy 13/05/13, Consultant Mr Samir. Life is a game of inches. Al Pacino

Back