• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm BACK!! - My experience at Derby

natashoorrr

Hi all! I'm back :)

Its been a pretty weird few days!!

So I checked in at 7am to the elective admissions and there was only three of us down for surgery at that time! I was second on the list and went down at about 10am.

I had my cannula put in and then got put to sleep - it was all very quick and the nurses were all very nice so I didn't have any tears or anything. Just very relaxed and ready for the op!

I came round in the recovery room and remember asking the nurse what i'd had done as I was concerned they wouldnt do it and she told me I'd had a sleeve. I didn't really know what was going on at the time so I just went back to sleep.

I woke up properly a short while after and Mr Awan came to see me, he explained that my abdominal wall was really thick so it wouldnt have been safe to do a bypass so he had to do a sleeve and even though my live had shrank nicely he couldnt get the ports in and move them around enough for the bypass. I wasnt too upset about it because it wasnt like I had failed or anything - it was beyond both our control!

So I have 5 incisions and was on a drip for about 20hrs but now i'm sipping water and what not. I did try some Build Up cream of veg soup last night but felt so sick afterwards that i had to put it down and get some anti sick meds.

I get tired quite quickly at the moment but touch wood i've had no real wind pain - I get up every few hours and take the pain killers regularly. I do notice though when ive slept more than usual, i do feel a bit stiff getting up.

The only thing I am a bit concerned about is how much I am drinking? I am sipping as per instructions but I don't know how much I am supposed to have? For example, I had a mug of oxo today (tasted like heaven) and it took me about 20 mins to drink and I felt fine?

So on the whole I still have pretty mixed feelings as I feel like the bypass would have been a better option for me but they have signed me off for 8 weeks and said that I have to go back in 6 for a review.

Im nowhere near as tired today as I have been but I still find myself getting sleepy or my eyes drifting regularly.

So here is to hoping my next weigh in, is bloody fantastic!

Congrats!! Sounds like it's all going splendidly for you. Just drink what you can, little and often worked best for me.
You're lucky not to have any wind pain!!
Lots of luck xx

Hi glad you're not feeling too bad, I'm sure you will make the sleeve work for you :)

well done Natasha :D glad all went well, I think u will work with what ever they decided was best for u. good luck for ur first weigh in post op, look forward to hearing ur progress :D x

As others have said, I'm sure you'll work with the sleeve and will have great results.
Glad you're feeling ok x

brilliant.. been looking out for your posts to check that all went well. I am sure the sleeve will do the trick. Good luck for your first weigh in.. fingers, and arms crossed (cant cross my legs till after the bypass :) )
x

So nice to hear from you thought about you quite a bit, glad everything went well ? hope to hear of your progress. Take it steady and mend quickly x

I didn't realise they had given you a sleeve, but don't let that knock you back your willpower was amazing on the pre op diet so im sure you will have the will power to make the sleeve work for you :)

That's more or less what happened to me.
I was taken down and put to sleep...woke up 15min. later with surgeon telling me he could not bypass me cause they'd found some duodenal polyps.
I was offered a sleeve for the next day and I accepted (duodenal polyps mean sleeve or sleeve and no other option, I was told).
Well, I was really scared about the change. I though I could never comply well enough to a sleeve. But then something magic happened...I never felt hungry so eating wee portions is no sacrifice.
I'm still afraid that in future things may change but, at the mo, I'm feeling great and love my unexpected sleeve!

Yayyyy welcome back Natashoor. So glad you are feeling okay. I wouldn't worry about it being the sleeve hun as it gives just as good results. Well done :)

Well done, as others have said l am sure the sleeve will work for you, the people who have had sleeves on here seem to do really well, l have met a couple of them and they are very happy. Helenx

Great you have you back on the forum. Glad it went well. You'll be fine as the weight should come off pretty quickly now and that's such a boost. Think of all the lovely party clothes you'll be able to get into for Xmas and New Year. And you've got yourself in the zone by doing so well on the pre-op x

pre op next tue

HI
i've got my pre op appt next tue, will they give me my op date then? (at derby)
im so chuffing excited. been going since nov21 2012 and was put on list 3 feb 2013 and told a yr... so chuffed its alot earlier..
worried about pre op diet as live on my own and dont wanna have a bad day and come home and want comfort food.
any advice or tips would be great
thanks xx

Wow that must be a strange feeling waking up with a diff op done but can only add congrats and I say sleeves rock! Xx

Back