• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I had my sleeve op on Sunday and I'm home!

PenelopePink

Hi, I've been a bit quiet lately but I just thought I'd report my surgery experience.

I had my sleeve done on Sunday night with Dr El Hasani at BMI Chelsfield Park in Kent. Privately funded, just under £10k.

I followed his pre surgery diet for just over 2 weeks, which was 2 small meals a day of protein and green veg, plus unlimited broth, sugar free jelly, sugar free squash, and 3 small pieces of fruit a day. I stopped eating the Friday before my surgery and went onto clear liquids only (squash or coffee, basically, no broth) and then on the Saturday continued on clear liquids and took 2 satchets of laxative stuff 5 hours apart which completely cleared me out and I mean completely.

On the Sunday of surgery it was water only until 4pm. I checked into the Chelsfield Park hospital at 2pm, they took me to my room which was very nice and quite hotel-ish (no WIFI though!) I just wafted around until about 7pm when they told me to shower with surgical scrub, put on the net pants and gown, and I sat there waiting for them. Then a jolly nurse came and got me and chatted to me to distract me. We went to a room outside the theatre and had some banter with the anaethetist's assistant who put my cannula in ("wow, that was good, I barely felt it" "yeah that's what my wife says!") etc. I went in, positioned myself on the table, and lay down (at this point I was thinking oh hell, what am I doing!) The anethetist said "I'll give you a little something nice to get you on your way" and put something in my cannula which made me feel at one with the world, my limbs like lead, and my eyes like slits, but I still had the energy to grin like a cheshire cat. At that point the consultant arrived and he said "I'll put you out now" and the next thing I knew I woke up and I was all done.

I was in pain, I won't lie, sort of like intense acid pain in the tummy I guess, is how I'd describe it, and they were hovering over me asking if I'd like some morphine (um, duh!) so they gave me some then they said how are you now and I wangled some more, basically I wangled the maximum dose then slept for about 12 hours!

So, you are on a catheter, and a drip, and you have a mainline to your heart just under your collarbone so they can inject fine opiates straight to your blood and through your body, mmm. So you don't have to get up, you just sleep. The drugs make you very sleepy and comfortable. You don't feel hungry or thirsty or anything. Just tired and comfortable. They come and top you up with things before you need it, as such, so at no point do you have to really do anything.

In the morning they wanted to change my bed and get me on a chair for a while for my circulation, so I got on the chair (which hurt but fine once I sat down) and they gave me more morphine so I just slept in this chair for 3 hours (felt like 5 minutes) and went back to bed and slept all day! Later that day they took my catheter out, dosed me up on pain killers and made me go for a walk - but that was fine, its all about pain management at first, so you can get moving.

So back to bed then, nearly night time, this was probably the worst night in terms of sleep simply because I was un-cathetered so needed to go to the loo as and when, but was still on a drip, so not only did I have to drag my IV pole with me but obviously the drip was making these visits fairly frequent - every 2 or 3 hours I guess. But it was no big deal and to be honest, it was probably a good time to get moving more regularly.

Around midday the next day they gave me my final drip bag, detached me from the IV pole (yay!) and removed my mainline, kept my cannula in though. I was then able to start sipping water. With a flaming teaspoon! But they are the size of mouthfulls I need to be taking. I then had some "lunch" which was a chocolate milkshake, which took me all afternoon to drink. By now I was on mainly just paracetamol and nurofen for pain relief, with the occasional tramadol before they wanted me to walk about.

So the drip was replaced with water and "meals", I had some tomato soup that night, which was lovely. That night was very comfortable, as I was in control of my own fluid intake which was reasonable but nothing like drips which equate to about 4 litres a day I think.

Then today, I got up and dressed and my husband came to pick me up. I have Clexane to inject for 4 weeks (no big deal, I've done this before when I had my babies), I have to wear surgical stockings for 4 weeks (groan but hey its winter) and I'm on liquids for 4 weeks, but no restrictions, so they can be soup or milk or whatever (no clear liquids luckily).

In 4 weeks I can move onto puree, then 4 weeks after that mashed, then normal food.

That's about it. I love my consultant, he's great. The nursing care team at Chelsfield Park were brilliant, particularly Sheila and Eichin. Fantastic.

In terms of me, I don't feel at all hungry, I've lost loads of weight already, and the future is looking bright.

Oh, I had a hiatus hernia apparently, and Mr El Hasani sorted that out for me while I was under the knife, which was nice - 2 for 1!

Highly recommended.

flowerofshona

Wow !! glad its all over and done for you, rest, heal and enjoy the journey to the new you xxxx

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
fantastic! welcome to your new life :) xxx

Ruthiep

Nice story Penelope, totally different to mine though! I wasn't cathetered, didn't have any mainlining opiates, or an IV pole. I only stayed in a few hours after I woke up. I had the op at 11 a.m. and was back home in my own bed by 9 pm, with only baby liquid paracetemol and nurofen for painkillers. I was also only two weeks on liquids, which included very smooth purees, two on mush, then onto solids.

I also had a BOGOF with a hiatus hernia though :)

Crackers169

HI Mrs Pink
Glad you are home and recovering nicely. My sleeve experience was a bit different too - no catheter, no mainline. I did have a drip and was on oxygen for first night after op, but was mobilised just a few hours after surgery.

I too felt very well looked after in the hospital.

Now here I am 8 weeks later and feeling great. Been to my first ever aqua zumba class tonight.

I hope you have a speedy recovery too.
Crackers x

cost

Hi,
Glad all went well and that you are on the road to recovery and lots of weight loss. Wishing you well. I too had a sleeve 6 weeks ago and am enjoying the changes in my life.
Best wishes,

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Glad to hear you decided on a sleeve eventually Penelope and that the op all went well.

Loving hearing about these "BOGOF"s as well (!) .... well at least hiatus hernia are in the right place when doing sleeve surgery to tackle them at the same time !!

honeykiss

Great account of your time at Chelsfeild, bought back memories of my bypass at the same hospital, sheila and Aichen are wonderul nurses.

Good luck on the rest of your jouney, the hard work starts now :)

Wendy x

Ruthiep

Glad to hear you decided on a sleeve eventually Penelope and that the op all went well.

Loving hearing about these "BOGOF"s as well (!) .... well at least hiatus hernia are in the right place when doing sleeve surgery to tackle them at the same time !!

My surgeon did make threatening noises that he might charge me extra for the hernia repair, but I wasn't having any of that...at the next support group I announced to the whole group that Mr. Sufi had so kindly done a BOGOF for the hernia... with him sitting there at the head of the table LOL.

Tray3004

Great read Hun happy healing n well dun on the weight loss so far :) xx

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

PenelopePink

Hi all, just thought I'd update and say everything is going well, I feel great physically, even had to dig myself out of the snow the other day with no ill-effects! Am 2 stone down from when I started my pre-op diet less than a month and a half ago so am very pleased with progress.

genevive57

hi penelope,
just read your wonderful post. very informative. please keep your thread going. i am having sleeve op on 08th march and i am loving reading all relevant information on this wonderful and informative site.
good luck to you
jan xx

Tray3004

Congrats on the weight loss Hun x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

honeykiss

Hi Penelope,

How are you getting on since your last post?

WENDY X

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery