• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another one for the girls I think!

sparkle76

I'm really worried about this now so thought I'd ask your advice! Due for my Gastric Band surgery tommorrow and my mum mentioned last night about me having the Mirena IUD/coil for contraception and did I need to have it removed prior to surgery? I don't know if this is going to prevent me from having surgery as it has a slow release hormone. I didn't even think about it until I read to stop all medication 4 weeks before surgery. Any one else heard of this and the effect it may or may not have on surgery? :eek:

sparkle76 said:
I'm really worried about this now so thought I'd ask your advice! Due for my Gastric Band surgery tommorrow and my mum mentioned last night about me having the Mirena IUD/coil for contraception and did I need to have it removed prior to surgery? I don't know if this is going to prevent me from having surgery as it has a slow release hormone. I didn't even think about it until I read to stop all medication 4 weeks before surgery. Any one else heard of this and the effect it may or may not have on surgery? :eek:

Ive got the implant in my arm and i asked the surgeon about this and the nurse when i went for my appointment and they said it was fine, it wont affect anything!

i agree with nat, the only thing i would say, is, when you have lost a couple of stone, get it checked, cos as we loose weight on the outside, we lose it on the inside to, and the coil can tend to move around and shift position, so its best to have it checked out. good luck with your op, and see you onthe losers bench, hugs xxxx

Ask the team if in doubt , sounds like it won't affect things but check for your own peace of mind and good luck xxx

I've got or should still have the mirena coil(having a scan on wednesday to see if its still there as Nurse couldnt find or see strings at my annual check) and i was ok at op

Thanks so much for all the advice. I spoke to my care co ordinator and she told me it's fine so I can now breathe a sigh of relief. Just need to worry about the actual op now!!
daftmoo-hope they find your mirena!!

Thanks sparkle so do I and hope they don't find something else there instead!!!!

Back