• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnea

wilb32

Hi I've got my appointment with the surgeon on Friday and think I might have un diagnosed sleep apnea I have done some reading and appear to have a lot of the signs and symptoms . Does anyone know how this May effect me having surgery could it delay my surgery I know it is one of the core morbidity's has anyone any experience I am hoping to have a gastric bypass.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

From what I know, if sleep apnea is diagnosed it will need to be under control before surgery. This should only take a few weeks, so hopefully won't have too much of an effect on you. Good news is it may well disappear for good after surgery. Good luck with your appointment.

depending on your team, this may delay your op by six months while they get you using a cpap device. The reason is that if your breathing is compromised, especially given our higher risk under anaesthetic, you are at a much higher risk of complications

I'd wait for an official diagnosis before worrying. I thought I had all the signs and symptoms of a major sleep apnoea. Had the test and was told that I had a very miniscule sleep apnoea, so small it wasn't worth doing anything about. Turns out it was actually normal sleep disturbances caused by my underactive thyroid, which has now rectified itself.

Pleased to say saw anesthetist and she is happy I don't have sleep Apnea although I do have gastric reflux so got to see GP to get some lansoprizole also BP a little on the high side so may need to get treatment for that also. Otherwise good to go waiting list is about 18 weeks but I think that is the government guidelines for all surgery should hear more next week.

As soon as i was on list my wait was 17 weeks :) then it happened so quick it was a whirlwind LOL had the phone call just a few days before........... just enough time to prepare but not enough time to worry too much X x x gl at gps hope kit gets sorted soon AND hope yo get your letter in week saying 'your on the list' .......... i shall wait for your post !!!

Just done a little calculation if I go on the waiting list this week and wait the 18 weeks I've been told it may be I will be going in for surgery on my birthday, my rebirth.

Ooooh that would be exciting a double 'birth'day :) i worked mine out to be valentines day but was 6th feb in the end. Hope you get your letter this week hunni shall be waiting with baited breath x x x x

Letter came this morning not sure what I expected,thought it might say that I was on the waiting list but it was what was discussed at the appointment, what my choices are and that I had decided on a gastric bypass they mentioned my BP but Got the recording wrong! And asked me to get bloods and spirometeory done at my GP's alcohol mentions the liver shrinking diet which I must do 2 weeks prior to surgery. Does this mean I'm on the waiting list? Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Last edited:
Back