• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banding and Long Haul Flying

Lemonpoppyseed

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice.

I'm a flight attendant and am interested in getting the band done(yes I'm one of the minority that is not a size zero...hehe).

I went for a pre consultation today and the Dr kind of scared me regarding flying with the band.
I am on the long haul runs,so some flights can be anywhere up to 14 hrs.
I've been told the band may tighten a little when you fly,but since reading on the forum I've noticed a lot of you have suggested not to have fills done prior to flying...which in my case is every week?
Also a lot have mentioned not eating on a flight,which in my case will be a lot of missed meals?

How will this work? I'm also scared of having a stuck moment and not being able to sort it out...the Doctor mentioned Strangled something...she totally lost me when she mentioned strangled!!!

I have been told by another surgeon to have the sleeve,but to me it seems such a big surgery and irreversible.

I'd love to hear any suggestions...thankyou :)

Maybe go for another consultation to get a second professional opinion. To be honest I am not sure any of us banders unless they are flight attendants/pilots etc themselves could give you the benefit of some very targeted guidance. At a guess, it may cause issues if too tight though due the changes in temperature/pressure/bloating. Let us know what you find out :)

Hello there.

I am not a flight attendant or anything but this post interests me as I was also told any long haul flights to have slight defill etc ... So if your constantly in the air every week not sure how a band would work for you because you would constantly be needing fills and defills all the time & therefore being banded would job very hard to upkeep ( hope that makes sense) Wishing you all the best and I be interested to learn to find out how you get on . BlueDiamond x x

Hi ladies, I had a 1 ml fill one week prior to flying I'm 4 months post Op and flew Dubai- London, London- Bangkok and Bangkok- Dubai in a 3 week period and had no tightening at all. I just kept well hydrated and moved around a lot. I know everybody is different but I really don't think it would be an issue x

Thanks for your replies everyone.BigDee I've only just learnt of the Gastric Plication and it sounds like it may be a winner...I'll definitely be asking my surgeon when I go in :)

I can't imagine how the band would work for you. I was advised to have it deflated a bit for longer flights. Logically, you can't have it deflated every week. Maybe the band is not the best choice of the surgery for you. But don't despair, there are other options that are not affected by flying.

My area says total defill for flights over 4 hours due to everything expanding at altitude. My niece who is long hall says her uniform has to be a size bigger as her tummy expands during flights. I don't think a band would be a good option for your job.

But if it were your operation of choice and you were fine with small defills and fills, if you are private after your care package has finished this could get very expensive paying for each fill and de fill.

Just got back from long haul holiday.

I had tightening on the way out that took about 8 hours to loosen.

No problems on the way back.

For me getting a defill would be a no, could eat more when away so no chance.

Took protein shake powder with me and they had milk on the plane. Perfect!

Just got back from long haul holiday.

I had tightening on the way out that took about 8 hours to loosen.

No problems on the way back.

For me getting a defill would be a no, could eat more when away so no chance.

Took protein shake powder with me and they had milk on the plane. Perfect!

Jemina how much do you have in your band? Did you eat before getting on the flight? You said took 8 hours to lossen - could you not eat till then?

Thanks Paula x

I have 8.5ml in a 12ml band. I think that I have the sweet spot :D

I had a large (pint) skinny latte 2 hours before the first flight (2 hours 15mins). First meal on the plane 'unsuitable' so had nothing. Had a latte in Starbucks (half pint ?) in the 3 hour layover. 12.5 hours on the next plane, I had a generous tablespoon of sloppy mashed potato with tomato sauce on the first meal, went down 'just ok', third meal not suitable, then on the last meal I had 2 airline sized youghurt which took me ages and weren't easy, but was still hungry. In between all that lot I had 2 protein shakes (milk & water) which became more tricky as time went on.

On arrival and for the next 8 hours couldn't get water down. Thankfully the tightness went fairly quickly from then, just as I had started contemplating my options.

On the way back, it was easy peasy :) Had the bits of each meal that I could eat, if there were any!

I wouldn't get a defill for a flight, just sit it out and keep to fluids is going to be my way forward. But that is just my opinion of what my body does, my provider doesn't really have specific advise on this so I have researched, then did my own thing.

My bestest friend met me at the airport on arrival with a large Costa as I was starving, I quickly swapped a large hug for a large latte :)

I have 8.5ml in a 12ml band. I think that I have the sweet spot :D

I had a large (pint) skinny latte 2 hours before the first flight (2 hours 15mins). First meal on the plane 'unsuitable' so had nothing. Had a latte in Starbucks (half pint ?) in the 3 hour layover. 12.5 hours on the next plane, I had a generous tablespoon of sloppy mashed potato with tomato sauce on the first meal, went down 'just ok', third meal not suitable, then on the last meal I had 2 airline sized youghurt which took me ages and weren't easy, but was still hungry. In between all that lot I had 2 protein shakes (milk & water) which became more tricky as time went on.

On arrival and for the next 8 hours couldn't get water down. Thankfully the tightness went fairly quickly from then, just as I had started contemplating my options.

On the way back, it was easy peasy :) Had the bits of each meal that I could eat, if there were any!

I wouldn't get a defill for a flight, just sit it out and keep to fluids is going to be my way forward. But that is just my opinion of what my body does, my provider doesn't really have specific advise on this so I have researched, then did my own thing.

My bestest friend met me at the airport on arrival with a large Costa as I was starving, I quickly swapped a large hug for a large latte :)

Lol thanks Jemina x

Back