• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another tummy tuck q!

Just curious, my umbilical hernia op should have been today, got there and they'd cancelled without telling me. Sooo....

In a state i rang my gp surgery, and asked about whether a ref somewhere else would be better. Then she told me i could have surgery anywhere. So i asked about a tummy tuck at the same time and she said i'd have more luck finding rocking horse poo in devon. :( i know some pct's will consider it if at the same time as a hernia op, so would i have a better chance asking to go out of the county? Which pct would fund it though? Mine or the surrogate pct? Weight loss is 6 stone, bmi now 25.8 was 35. Any opinions welcomed. And what do i need to be asking? My tummy muscles are actually fine, it's the mass of loose skin that's the issue, and a very large umbilical hernia

I'm no expert but the reading I've done around this seems to indicate that you will need to have maintained your weight at a stable and normal BMI for 2 years before being considered. Even then it might only be considered if the skin is very loose and if you can demonstrate to your GP/PCT that it is having other impacts on your lifes such as psychologically or physically (such as if skin folds are causing repeated topical infections).

Sorry if this isn't as positive as you had hoped. Remember, its always worth asking as the worst than can happen is that they say no! At least then you can consider alternatives. xxx

Thankyou for the reply :) the hernia and spare skin drag the lower part of my back forward, which means i'm often in the company of a tens machine, i try not to take meds where possible as i am breastfeeding still. I've had a fair few skin infections under the fold, but reading devon's pct gumph i need to be an exception. The hernia was a congenital defect repaired then 'let loose' by a surgeon error when i had a laparoscopy a few years back, it's gotten progressively worse. I'm not depressed as such, but i am a bit of a house hermit as i am disgusted by the way i look. I don't really go out. But i'd like to. See i wonder if the cancelation could turn into a blessing in disguise if they'd agree to do both things at once. Round 1. Get gp to refer me. That's wednesdays fight on!

If the skin is significantly loose then your surgeon might decide that it may affect the hernia repair, in this case the surgeon might be the best person to persuade about the tummy tuck. In the meantime have your GP prescribe clometrizole cream every time you have a skin infection. He/she can then suggest to the PCT that surgery will prevent the frequent prescription costs that this is causing. Hope you get sorted soon and try not to be a house hermit, getting out in sun might be just what you and the baby need! xxx

A lot of people with higher starting bmis than you have big skin probs and they cant get plastics,I doubt you will get funding and as someone said you have to be bmi 25 or less for two years.They wouldnt take you in another county cos they have there own budgets and people to care for.If you are young try to do everything you can to strengthen and tone your skin.Likewise if you are older but the results will be a lot different because the skin loses elasticity as we age.

Well i'm gonna ask, no harm in asking, at worst all thry can say is no. The surgeon i spoke to at my hernia pre op said he'd say i was a good candidate, as i'd worked really hard myself, without any nhs intervention. And that as i was being operated on anyway that is was more likely. Thankyou for your responses, i will brace for a no but hope for a yes. Panel for funding meets once a month so i could be lucky. I rarely bother my doc with anything, prefering to purchase my own meds if i am ill unless unavaliable.

i know someone who lost about 8st on her own and has maintained for years and was refused plastics on nhs because she had done it all herself!

sometimes it seems you just can't win either way

good luck tho

Tinks, I am with you..there is no harm in trying. It will totally depend on your PCT and it's criteria for funding. They are all different. Mine didn't insist on a particular BMI, nor did they say I had to maintain for two years. I have lost 8.5 stone with no medical or surgical intervention, but was able to apply for funding on the grounds of skin infections and the psychological problems related to the excess skin. I appreciate that I have been extremely fortunate and I don't want to give you false hope but it's always got to be worth trying rather than giving up without a fight!

Good luck gal !

Debs xx

Good luck :)

Back