• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Antacid Help....

vixter101

Just wanted some opinions on this...I had a sleeve on 7th November and was prescribed fast tabs (antacids) to take twice a day. I was given two weeks supply and then told to go back to my GP for further medication to be prescribed. My issue is that I found (even whilst still in the hospital) I put the fast tab in my mouth to dissolve (and to be fair it dissolves relatively quickly - within a minute I'd say) but as soon as it goes in my mouth I start heaving and wanting to throw up....as a result I've not taken them since but I know they are a preventative medication...I don't seem to suffer with acid reflux but I'm wondering if I am doing any long term damage by not taking them. When I had my phone check up, they said I really needed to be taking them and that they were the ones that people had the least problems with....what should I do?? I can't stomach taking them but if its going to cause damage then maybe I should force myself too...what has been other people's experiences???

I had the same heaving with the dissolving Lansoprazole I was prescribed straight from hospital but as soon as I was on purees I switched to Omeprazole capsules which I swallow with water and the capsules seem to slide down much more easily than solid tablets.

I was told I have to take them in the evenings before I go to bed and if I don't I find I do wake up in the middle of the night with a grumbling tummy or in the morning with yucky reflux breath! I never even knew I had reflux until this surgery and now I have both acid and alkaline reflux!

The concern is that even if you think you don't have reflux they recommend taking the tablets because everyone has acid in their stomachs and if it does manage to escape up out of your stomach after surgery it can irritate and hurt your newly joined up bits and cause vomiting, damage to your oesophagus, damage to your teeth and most importantly, damage to your new stomach!

I'd go and have a chat to your GP and try a different type of medication.

Good luck!

You could ask your gp to prescribe you lansoprazole capsules rather than the melt in mouth tablets.

Thanks guys :) they did suggest omaprazole but said i'd struggle with that and now you've mentioned about the breath in the morning mine is awful since the op despite brushing and using mouthwash as normal....so maybe i do get acid reflux after all!! I think I'll see if I can try some omeprazole then and see how I get on with that...I always thought (maybe naively) that acid reflux was very similar to heart burn - so maybe I haven't been having that but still had some reflux....thanks for the help and advice stacey and llora :)

Back