• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about antacid

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi all
When I left the hospital at the weekend and was given my meds I noticed the antacid and said "right so I ask my gp for more yes?" and they said "no because by the time they run out you should be on more solid food then and wont need them".
Is that true? I would swear I have seen long term post oppers on here talking about their antacids. Is there some that I should buy once mine run out?
Steph xx

Different surgeons recommend them for different periods of time unfortunately, so it's best to follow your teams advice. Some say 4 weeks, some say 6 months/1 year/2 years/life! When you run out just bear in mind if you get any nausea or indigestion it could be linked, or you could be fine.

My surgeon is a life recommender, but I stopped them when I fell pregnant and have been fine since. Saying that, I've never suffered with any ulcers/indigestion/reflux etc anyway.

I was given 2 weeks supply of the fast tabs and the My Gp as prescribed them in capsule form for me to take twice daily for 6 months then proceed to 1 a day for 2 years possibly life.If I was you I would ring the hospital ask them to forward the medication requirements with instructions to your Gp. I would presume they would do that. My Gp and myself both got copies via post of the list of medication I am to be taking. Good Luck x x

Steph didnt you have Mr Ammori? He told me to take them twice daily for 6 months and then once daily for life there after..... I would ring and check x

Just remembered you had Mr Li - sorry x

It's not just indigestion or heartburn - the acid can't be neutralised because we take in such a small amount of food and it can cause problems lower down in the intestines. I was told by the hospital that I have to take them for 6 months because that's how long it takes for the stomach to catch up and reduce the amount of acid it produces. Unfortunately my doctor has said I can stop taking them!! It's a good job I have my first post op next week - I'll get it all in writing so I can show my GP. I'm still unclear how long we have to take calcium, though. My doctor said I can stop that as well! xx

I'm still unclear how long we have to take calcium, though. My doctor said I can stop that as well! xx

Hi Marion, I think the calcium is for life isn't it? I'm sure that's what is on my sheet, along with the multi vits.

Cuppa xx

My calcium, vitamins, antacid and iron are all for life. Give Carol at The Regency a call, she'll help you out.

Lx

My calcichew, multivits, iron and antancids are for life hun! Ring the hospital and check babe x

My calcium, vitamins, antacid and iron are all for life. Give Carol at The Regency a call, she'll help you out.

Lx
Same ere Steph:D:D

Back