• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

nhs gastric band - a few questions

emma&alex

hi
i saw my doctor yesterday and asked her about being refered for a gastric band, she said she has refered a few people in the past, and she is more than happy to do the same for me.
she said i have to do 6 months on some sort of diet pills before they would accept me to go in for surgery.
because im on anti depressants, she thinks that it wont be a problem being accepted for surgery. she also said that i am very limited to what diet pills i can actually go on.
she has asked me to write down my full diet this week and take it back to her next week, and then she will put me on the tablet that doesnt let you store fat from what you are eating (i forgot the name)
she said this will all go in my favour when i actually get refered in february.
she did say that they will assess to see how much weight, if any, i lose on the tablets, and that will be a deciding factor to if they accept me for the gastric band.

can i just ask people who have had this surgery through the nhs, if they lost any, and how much? and did this affect their decision to accept you for the treatment

thanks

emma

Hi Emma, I think the tablets are called 'xenical' and good luck with them I thought they were awful probably cos I cheated and the side effects aren't nice if you do lol
I was private not NHS so I cant help you with your query but wanted to wish you luck

Kate

Good luck hun...I too had the Xenical....NOT GOOD SIDE EFFECTS!!!!
If you do have them, you cant afford any fats to get in to your system!!!

I had to pay for my treatment, so can't help with the funding side of things, but good luck and keep in touch with us all...
x

Xenical worked for me for a while. I lost about five stones on them, but once I stopped taking them the weight crept back. And yes, the side effects are pretty disgusting! :brainfart: x

i was told by the weight loss surgery team on the nhs u have to try them for 2-3 months not 5.
and they didnt work for me!!
did

hi
i saw my doctor yesterday and asked her about being refered for a gastric band, she said she has refered a few people in the past, and she is more than happy to do the same for me.
she said i have to do 6 months on some sort of diet pills before they would accept me to go in for surgery.
because im on anti depressants, she thinks that it wont be a problem being accepted for surgery. she also said that i am very limited to what diet pills i can actually go on.
she has asked me to write down my full diet this week and take it back to her next week, and then she will put me on the tablet that doesnt let you store fat from what you are eating (i forgot the name)
she said this will all go in my favour when i actually get refered in february.
she did say that they will assess to see how much weight, if any, i lose on the tablets, and that will be a deciding factor to if they accept me for the gastric band.

can i just ask people who have had this surgery through the nhs, if they lost any, and how much? and did this affect their decision to accept you for the treatment

thanks

emma
Hi Emma
i am in the process of going through the eferral at the moment i went on to orlistat but as i didnt gain or loose anything in 4 months the doc took me off them and refferd me last week. i am not sure how long you should wait but i was advised if i dont hear anything by christmas to go back and see the doctor.Hope this help

Back