• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calcium Tablet

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
Hi All,

Hope someone can help, I am really hating taking the chewable calcium tablets, so went to my doctors tonight and she did me a prescription for caplets, which apparantly should be like capsules.

However when I got them home, they had given me the chewable ones again Grrr, but I am sure the prescription said caplets, can I take my chewable ones back and ask them to check the prescription?

If not, Holland and Barrett do a caplet version, do you think it would be ok, to get some of these?

hi PG is it the ADCAL you are taking, if so they are only available on perscription...if it says caplets and they have given you the chewable then take them back and ask them to recheck the perscription as the chewable ones have now been changed x

They will change it. The pharmacies often assume that if something has a different format but is the same medicine the doctor just made a mistake. I have had it so many times with my partner's diabetes meds

Ooh dear I think I may have to check, iv not got any calcium marks on my fingers or anything yet, I hope am ok xx

ive had a letter from spire asking me to contact gp to get prescription for adcal and i haven't even had op yet, deficient in vit d...is for adcal d3 bd not sure what it is :) indefinitely it says :(

No its Calcichew, but caplet format lol

I hate Calcichew as well. I'm not even post-op yet but when my GP did blood tests earlier this year (I am diabetic) one thing that showed up as under normal was my calcium levels.

After trying Calcichew for a few days and hating it, I resolved to increase my intake of milk and yogurts (which had been slightly lacking).

Hope you find a better solution, let us know PG. :)

I don't like them much either, but take them anyway. I think it depends alot on what flavour they give you. Had lemon, don't like them, but tutti frutti aren't as bad.

I didnt like adcals fruit taste and have calcichew,just let them melt in your mouth.Haylz you should of been on calcium right away,for life.Get it sorted hun before you get too low,it will affect your bones in later life.They have d3 added.

Big an Bouncy said:
I didnt like adcals fruit taste and have calcichew,just let them melt in your mouth.Haylz you should of been on calcium right away,for life.Get it sorted hun before you get too low,it will affect your bones in later life.They have d3 added.

Do I get from doc or can u get over the counter xx

I've been prescribed calcichew-D3 Forte for a while now (pre op, because of my blood calcium and vitamin D levels being low) Yes, they can be purchased over the counter Haylz6 - but you should probably check it out with your doctor.

I thought caplets were just a different shape to tablets - and capsules were the ones you swallow? Calcichew states it should be chewed not swallowed ........ but I am new to all this!

Right, sorted, Calcichew D3 are normally chewable, but as my doctor found out they do a caplet format which is swallowed. My doctor has checked the contents and these are exactly the same.

So now I am getting tablet format from the NHS :)

However if you cant get them on prescription, Holland and Barrett do one, which is fine my doctor has told me. £3.25 for 60, if you buy 2 you can get 120 for £3.26.

Happy Shopping :)

Glad you got it sorted. Would you advise getting an annual prescription certificate? I'm wondering if I should investigate this prior to the operation (plan, plan, plan) as I pay for prescriptions individually and it is bound to add up over time ......

Yeah I pay 10.00 a month, but now I get about 6 items a month, so saves me mega amounts of money.

Vitamins, Iron, Calcium, Warfarin, Blood Pressure, Moisturising Cream, Anti Acid Tablets lol

Back