• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anxious newbie

dmad

hello all

I've just found you and registered so don't really know my way around just yet. I'm due to have my surgery in exactly three weeks today and appear to be putting on weight instead of losing it. I'm telling myself the diet starts next weekend, which is when the official diet starts...but also know that's just another excuse.

My GP said I didn't qualify for the op on the NHS so I've taken out a loan to pay privately. I do have a very good GP and we're only talking £5k to change my life, right? That was me trying to be positive about taking out the first loan (bar my mortgage) in my life.

Anyhoo, introduction ramble over. Am looking forward to chatting to everyone and hearing all your personal stories.

D x

Welcome D & the very best of luck for your op ... you are right, £5000 against a happy, healthy life is a small price to pay :):) xx

Hello and welcome. I'm new on here too. Everyone is so kind and helpful, I'm so glad I found this forum and I'm sure you will be too :)

Hi and welcome

Xxx

are ya looking forward to your surgery x

Gosh no Hollie, I'm beyond terrified. I'm prepared for the band and what it will mean for my life as much as I can psychologically at least, the diet will happen next but my biggest fear is the surgery itself.

I had a complete hysterectomy 2 YEARS ago and it was beyond horrific, how I dealt with it and the hospital experience itself. I'm trying to tell myself often that I can't compare the two experiences but I'm struggling with that bit.

Anyhoo sorry for the ramble, bet you're sorry you asked now :)

D

Last edited:
Welcome here ... And best of luck x

Hiya and welcome, hope everything goes well with your op and you have a speedy recovery x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using WLSurgery

I feel exactly the same way about my surgery i,m terrified but i,ve come to the conclusion that if i want it to happen i,ve gotta go through the anasthetic i,m just hoping everythings gonna be fine i,m sure you will be too x

I feel exactly the same way about my surgery i,m terrified but i,ve come to the conclusion that if i want it to happen i,ve gotta go through the anasthetic i,m just hoping everythings gonna be fine i,m sure you will be too x
the logic part of my brain totally agrees with you but every now and then the other side takes control. You've not long to go now, wow... I do believe everything happens for a reason, we've made these decisions for a reason - to save our lives and to give us better ones.

stay strong x

Hi Dmad :) welcome to the forums. Notice that you are local :)

The band is a smaller op than a complete hysterectomy. You should find it much easier. However, how you work with it afterwards, that's up to you. A hysterectomy (which I've also had, but not ovaries) is done and dusted, all you need to do is recover, whilst a band is the beginning of the process, not the end of it.

Ruthiep said:
The band is a smaller op than a complete hysterectomy. You should find it much easier. However, how you work with it afterwards, that's up to you. A hysterectomy (which I've also had, but not ovaries) is done and dusted, all you need to do is recover, whilst a band is the beginning of the process, not the end of it.

Couldn't agree more ruthie......just prepare for a lot of mind over matter work post op because if you don't have the willpower to resist that biscuit/cake etc then they will still go down perfectly. What it will ultimately stop you doing is polishing that big plate of food off instead turning you to much smaller portions. Even that however may not happen until after a couple of fills so willpower is still required especially in the first few weeks. But be prepared to be on a diet to shift the weight, as small pizza, burger etc wont lose you the weight, plenty of protein and minimal carbs wins the game! BUT having said all of that....the band is the bet tool I could have ever hoped for and love mine soooo much! I'd never have done this without!!!!! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I was banded 6 days ago, I also had a hysterectomy a few years ago. You definitely can't compare the two. The band is not completely pain free but feels more like a big kick in the side that can easily be controlled with pain killers. I was actually pain free when I woke from the anaesthetic, they make sure of that.

Hope it goes well.

Lorna

Hi I haven't been long on this site either but it has really helped me along the way. I was terrified to have my op and then it was brought forward so happened faster than expected, which in some ways was good. Op went well and it really wasn't as painful as I expected. Spent night in hospital and home next morning. I found my second day the worst but into day four now and feeling alot better. So I am sure you will be just fine. I still have these scary thoughts about never having a big meal again but sure that is cause I am now on week three of fluids!!!!!!so now look who is rambling!!!!! Good luck

Hello
I havent had my op yet, hoping to go on waiting list in July but I do get scared also. How will I go out for meals, what will Christmas lunch be like? But then it will be nice going shopping for something that fits! Best of luck x

Welcome to the site

Mr El-Hasani done my bypass and although it's early days (I'm 2 weeks post-op) I have no regrets.

The staff at the Chelsfield are lovely

Kim x

Back