• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

any adivse please

birchy

hi has anyone got any advise for my sister.She went private to have gastric band whe n she came round in recovery the said they couldnt do the opp because her liver was to heavy and she done pre-opp diet for a week shes ther next week and woundering wot the next step will has this happened to anyone else.

It has happened 2 a few people and the reasons are that if ur liver is 2 big it can make it very dangerous to do the op hence them closing her up.
The 2 reasons i can think of for her liver 2 be 2 big after doing a one week pre op is possible she may have a fatty liver or maybe she has not followed the pre op diet to the letter. Which diet did she do if it was the low carb one then poss her portions were 2 big, i did the 10 day milk diet and my liver was shrunk enough.
Maybe she needs to do a pre op for longer, but it def would help if we knew the diet she was on because maybe we can advise her to make sure her next pre op goes successful
Hope that helps take care x

thanks for your advise roch it was the low carbs diet she done.When she goes back next week think they will say liquid.

thanks for your advise roch it was the low carbs diet she done.When she goes back next week think they will say liquid.

The thing with the low carb pre op diets is that if ur having bigger portions of fruit,veg and other carbs then ur liver wont get rid of the glycogen hence it will be 2 big, maybe if she does the liquid one she should ask to be on it for a bit longer maybe 10 days to make sure her liver is small enough x

i am already on my low card, high protein low fat pre op diet and my op is not till the 20th july at charring cross, maybe a week was just not longer enough for her liver to get use to diet ..................i wish her luck x

I did the pre op milk diet for 10 days and I was OK.

Sorry to hear of your sisters blip, I hope it goes ok next time.

Ok now I am realy worrying I am on the low carb pre op diet and have been using lettuce, onions, Mushrooms to bulk meals up is that Ok ?

I have a fatty liver and my surgeon has said I need to do the milk diet for 3 weeks, it is normally 2 weeks with my surgeon.

Hi Deepblue

you need to contact the bariatric team. all of our diets seems to vary quiet a bit. Some veg is high is carbs which is why some of the pre-op diets specify exactly what you can/can't eat.

Ok now I am realy worrying I am on the low carb pre op diet and have been using lettuce, onions, Mushrooms to bulk meals up is that Ok ?

Hi Deepblue, most veg have a bit of carbs in them - especially onions (if you heat them they crystallise which mean they have natural sugar in them). It depends how many carbs you are allowed. I know on the atkins diet they only allow a small salad and a small portion of green veg once a day. Tomatoes, carrots and onions are particularly high in carbs. I would suggest you check with your team on how many carbs you are allowed and make sure you count any food you eat if it has carbs in. Hope that helps.

I did the low carb one and was told to eat no root vegetables, so basically you can only eat what grows above the ground, onions i guess are a no no...

Oh and i only did it for a week as i had a cancellation, but then my surgery was open so i guess my surgeon had plenty of flapping around room in there :) xx

Back