• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie- about to have band removed followed by bypass - am I the only one?!

DoubleBubble

Hello there...

Okies, not to be a narcissist but a little about me;

Im 27
I have been overweight since I remember- aged 8 - 8 stones, aged 11-11 stones and so forth. By age 24 I weighed around 24 stones and had a gastric band fitted at Kings College Hospital by Mr Ameet Patel.

The first three months were good and I lost around 3 stones. Back then there werent any support groups in the area that I was aware of, I also still felt a lot of shame and upset about the fact I'd 'had to resort to surgery' and felt unable to tell people about it. This led to familiar eating patterns reemerging... But, instead of eating a massive meal followed by chocolate and anything sweet, I skipped the big meals and would try and eat smaller meals. When I found I was sick almost daily- sometimes it made sense (i.e. I tried to eat bread- OUCH!) and sometimes it was after a mouthful of salad. The inconsistency was driving me crazy and I got into the pattern I am in now; I avoid eating for fear of being sick and end up faint and ravenous by the end of the day- then I feel I should be able to eat whatever I like, and try to! This usually extends to chocolate and quavers- anything thats easy to melt.

This pattern started around 7 months after surgery and has continued since. I saw an eating disorders service, started psychotherapy, gym, dieticians (AGAIN!) and still found myself struggling. Its hard for me to admit when I fail; I felt I used to having success in most other areas of my life... I avoided the hospital for quite some time- I couldnt face the guilt and shame. I had some fills, unfills etc etc and yet still faced the same issues. The last appointment I went to I remember telling Mr Patel I was eating too much chocolate and he replied 'next time you feel like chocolate, sit on your hands'. I felt quite upset by this- I know he meant no harm and was most likely trying to lighten the mood- but, to me, I felt misunderstood. Around 18 months ago I re-referred myself to Mr Patel and, when I met with the female surgeon on his team (her name escapes me) I was very honest about where I was at in my head. She suggested deflating the band completely and then going back to the clinic. We did this and I was still sick. I then saw another of Mr Patel's team who sent me for a barium meal. During this time I chanced upon a woman on fb; I saw we had mutual friends and she looked fantastic! When I looked at some of her pics I was confused as she seemed to have been heavy and slim at different times. Presently she looked slim, happy and in proportion (still curvy). I randomly sent her a message and asked her secret... She soon told me that she'd had a bypass. We met for coffee and I spoke for the first time (unashamedly) about quite how f**ked up my relationship with food is! She inspired me to continue attending my appointments and explore the bypass as a viable option. I did more research. The results of the barium meal showed there was no slippage but they noticed the food wasnt passing through the band well and I had to lay on my side in the xray in order to facilitate the marshmallow going through the band.

About 12 weeks later I met another member of Mr Patel's team and explained everything over again, he said the bypass was an option but that I needed to meet with Mr Patel. After this meeting I decided to stay and watch the group sessions they now hold (they werent about in 2007). After he spoke I took Mr Patel to one side. He asked where he recognised me from and I explained. I suggested to him that I'd like to consider a gastric bypass and briefly explained my issues. He said that he would rather undertake a duodenal switch. I said I did not want this as I dont think my issues with food would aid me sticking to the strict aftercare (when I feel depressed I purposefully dont look after myself)... he said to do some research and make sure I tell reception that I need to see him next time I come in.

12 weeks later I had an appointment- waited hours- then a member of Mr Patel's team saw me again. I was really anxious and felt quite unwell (my partner at the time was in hospital and Id been sleeping there for a couple of nights and wasnt well). Anyway (justification over!) I was emotional and said that Id been told I could speak with Mr Patel. He said he'd arrange another appointment and I said I'd already been waiting a long time and Mr Patel did tell me to ensure I saw him next time. He spoke with Mr Patel who agreed to see me straightaway. I walked into the room and he had another man there- didnt introduce him but he looked at me emphatically. I regained my composure and explained that Id researched and why I still felt I'd prefer a bypass. We discussed the DS and bypass and I still remained convinced a bypass suits my situation better. By this point my composure was lost and I started blubbering. He said to me 'why are you upset, you can have a bypass, you can have what you want'. I apologised and explained I felt unwell and was stressed and hadnt slept. He was very sweet and told me to go home and relax and that he'd put me on the waiting list for the removal of my band with a view to a gastric bypass when my stomach has had a chance to heal.

That was in Dec 2010. By Feb 2011 I called Kings to check how the waiting list was looking- I found out at this point that I wasnt on the list (although Id had a letter saying I was). Many phone calls later I was on the list and assured it would be retrospective. Anyone still awake?! Anyways- so yea, I came back from my pre-assessment today and Im fit as a butchers dog apparently! Thus, if my bloods are ok I am due to have my band removed in on 6th June! I was wondering if anyone else has anything like my experience? Feel very alone and lacking confidence that even the bypass will work... Any info much appreciated!

DB

Hi DB and welcome x

Wow what a journey you have had eh? good luck with next stage of it. There is a lady on here justliz who has converted from band to bypass, slightly different circumstances but hopefully she will see this and say hello too.

I hope you dont think Im being rude but are you getting any help with your relationship with food? hopefully you are so that you dont face the same issues with your bypass x

hiya, im sorry i cant offer you any info, but you have had quite a journey, i hope the bypass works well for you and i wish you every luck and sucess for the future xx

WOW!!! you have been through so much :( I can't offer any info, however i wanted to wish you all the best. This place is amazing, so stick around as i am sure you will find so much support on here that you need. x

Hi hun!
First welcome to the site.
Second you are not the only one to go from a band to a bypass here.
Just Liz is the lady you need she has had 2 (yes 2) bands and a bypass.
I will message her and let her know you need some advice

Hi and Welcome, i had a band fitted in 2006 and i could eat for England bread you name iti didn't lose any weight in fact i put it on. my band didn't work it eroded into my stomach (the 1st time it had ever happened at SRH) i spent 4 years backwards and forwards to the hosp been told it would be ok. and that i was the problem not my band. in the end i did a sit in and refused to move out of the waiting room until my surgoen sew me and not one of his understudies. to cut a long story short i had the band out last year and my sleeve done this year and i feel great the weight is coming off and i feel good in myself. i do hope you start to feel better and you get your bypass. xx

Double bubble, I had exactly the same problems as you, and even turned bullemic for a fear of the food hurting so much, I was sick so much in the end my band rejected fluids aswell and I had to have it removed as it ended up cutting into my stomach And I nearly died, they removed it in 2009 and since then I have put most seven of the nine stones I lost back on, bur saying that I know alot of people here have had a great WL journey and no complications with their bands. I have recently been given funding and seeing Chichester hospital at the end of June as this time Im going to try And go for the sleeve.

welcome...you really have been through a lot and i really hope you get the support you need here (im newish on here too and have found lots of helpful info and support xxx

Hello all,

Thank you all for your responses- Im glad Im not the only one.... I remember coming on here a few times before but for some reason being too anxious to join! Im gonna stick with it and take a look around... Still open to anyone who fancies a chat :)

DB

Hi and welcome good luck on the 6th I hope this time it is the answer for you in your very turbulent journey. You have been through the mill one way or another. I wish you every success and if in any way I can offer you support let me know I am still a few weeks pre-op due to have my bypass in mid June.

welcome hun, and good luck with your journey! xx

Hello all- I am now 3 days post band-removal and recovering well- hardly any pain at all surprisingly :) I was told by my preassessment nurse that I could have my bypass within 6-8 weeks. I asked to speak to Mr Patel a few times during my stay but was not able to do this so I wrote a note and gave it to him in the theatre! I was later told by his team that it will not be in 6-8 weeks and its likely Ill be at the bottom of the waiting list... Currently 9 months :-( Tough pill to swallow but Im seeing it as an opportunity to really work on getting my mind right :)

How is everyone doing? Anyone else in a situation similar to mine?

DB

Hello all- I am now 3 days post band-removal and recovering well- hardly any pain at all surprisingly :) I was told by my preassessment nurse that I could have my bypass within 6-8 weeks. I asked to speak to Mr Patel a few times during my stay but was not able to do this so I wrote a note and gave it to him in the theatre! I was later told by his team that it will not be in 6-8 weeks and its likely Ill be at the bottom of the waiting list... Currently 9 months :-( Tough pill to swallow but Im seeing it as an opportunity to really work on getting my mind right :)

How is everyone doing? Anyone else in a situation similar to mine?

DB

Hiya DB, ive just picked up on this thread, im a ex bander i had my 1st band in 2005, i had fill tube probs and went band 2 band in the same op in 2008, dec 2010 i had plastics for my loose skin and my 2nd band was cut through, nov 2011 my 2nd band was removed and i was instantly converted to a bypass with in the same operation.....this is just a breif outline of my journey.... i love my bypass and even though i did extremley well with banding i find bypass a much better and easier procudure to live with post op ( this is only my own personal opinion after have lived with both ops).

i waited 12 months for my bypass and regained 4st in that time, ive now re lost 2 of the 4st i regained x

If you want to chat further or have any questions please just ask me.

Liz x x x

I am new and I can't believe that there are so many other people been on the same "train journey" as me!!
10 years my band did me well, had it removed in June 09 and have doubled in size...now waiting for bypass! I thought I was the only idiot to have failed so badly after having my band removed. Fell a bit better knowing there are others who struggle like me!

Jeesh, I typed out the whole story to date and unfortunately I accidently deleted it!

It's been over a year since I last posted and I felt I'd like to update anyone who's interested and see how people are doing... So, I did indeed have my band removed on 6th June. I was told various different timescales as to when I could expect the bypass; some staff saying because I'd been a patient for 5 years I wouldnt have to go to the back of the list and others saying I would be placed at the bottom regardless. After 7 months of waiting I began contacting Kings to see where I was on the list etc Needless to say 6 months later after around a billion calls and emails and support from the PALs service I was called on 20th June 2012 and told I was on the list for Sunday! Panic ensued and it caused no end of problems with work, aftercare etc but I was determined.
I rocked up on Sunday morning and found I was on the private wing! Not bad! 90% of the nursing staff were ultra nice, supportive and efficient. I was frst on the list and was in the holding bay by 10am. Mr Patel met me there to go through my consent form; he checked for the last time that I definitely wanted the bypass and not the DS; I confirmed. A few minutes late Im hopping onto the operating table and having the massaging things on my legs, a nice chat with the anaesthetist and the next thing I know its 6pm and I in recovery. Felt quite a lot of pain; I remember saying '7 out of 10; 8 out of 10!!). Felt v nauseous and retching hurt my tummy a lot. I remember some talk of a complication but I dont know what it was and the nursing staff I asked later told me to ask Mr Patel's team but I kept forgetting. I did have a very large bruise all over my left side, waist to hip but it didnt hurt. I know the op was expected to take 3 hours and I was under a lot longer- must remember to ask what the complication was!

Anyway I digress. Im back on the ward and feeing pretty good- Morphine on PDA was a godsend and I managed to repeatedly get up for the toilet, although frustratingly I couldnt pee, to the point they gave me a quick bladder scan which showed, despite my feelings of urgency I was only holding 56mls of urine :-o (too much info?! ;-) ).

So I had a friend visit at 9pm and she stayed until 1am- the staff were very accommodating. I was on top form, ultra witty and could hardly believe Id had surgery... I say this from my morphine-tinted perspective. Apparently I was more hilarious as I didnt make sense and punctuated most sentences with a brief nap! :-/ Tuesday morning, only pain relief is paracetamol and I am in PAIN; remember not being able to sleep as drip alarm went off in excess of 20 times and Tuesday night I was crying and retching and begging for something to stop me being sic/help me sleep. I got peppermint tea and an anti-emetic after a good few hours as had to wait for the doc on call to prescribe. Wednesday early evening I am discharged. I'd started drinking 50 mls an hour and managed some tomato soup and protein shake when I got home. Nowhere near the 2+ litres stated by the hospital as I literally couldnt; so full! Thursday morning 4am I wake up to waves of nausea and retching. V painful and it continued all day. At 1pm I called the ward- they said try stopping the Diclofenec Sodium. By 6pm I was still unwell and called the ward again; I happened to get Mr Patel's registrar and he advised me to go to A and E and ask them to page the Surgical Doctor and he'll meet me to give me an anti-emetic and check Im not dehydrated. Ten minutes later Im in A and E; Im assessed and told the nurse what I was told. 45 minutes later I can no longer sit upright in A and E, Im dry retching and too weak to stand. I speak to the nurse again and beg for somewhere to lie down. She says they have no beds and she will try to contact the registrar again. 30 mins or so later Im called and Im asked the same questions about 5 times by different people- a line is put in with liquid paracetamol and fluids and a further hour wait for the anti-emetic. The nausea was the worst :-( As soon as I have the anti emetic I feel my personality return! They want to keep me in for obs. Friday afternoon Im feeling much better after 3 bags of fluids and no more sickness. I have to wait until v late as Mr Patel does not want me to leave until he's seen me himself. It was a pain but I appreciate his professionalism and concern.

SO Im back home again and Im honestly surprised at how painful it is compared to the previous two surgeries; I wasnt prepared mentally. Slowly but surely Im getting better and today is 16 days post op and I feel 70% normal again! I've lost 7kg so far. I started attending Overeaters Anonyous before the surgery and I think it has helped with the mental 'discourse' around food. That said Ive been craving malteasers, quavers, and burgers to the point Ive considered going to a drive through, chewing a burger and spitting it out! Thankfully I havent go there yet but its a daily struggle; Im just taking one day at a time and reembering 2 weeks ago I ate one meal a day and binged on *****; now I've had no food at all for 15 days... Fingers crossed!

One thing I wondered if anyone could help with; Im worried I wont 'dump' as Ive had some still lucozade and mikshake and neither has apparently affected me. I did have a mocha from costa (a 1/3rd cup) and had diahorrea for around 10 hours on and of but no other symptoms. *confused*

Im starting to feel impatient already around weight loss and scared that Im not strong enough to do thing long term or preoccupied with finding the 'right' way of working the bypass... I guess the mentl always take longer to catch up...

DB x

Wow DB what a journey! It will make it all the sweeter when you are living life as a happy healthy slim person. Like mine i think it will be a long tough journey but Im sure you will do it. It sounds like your on the right track with the group sessions and stuff.
Hopefully you will keep posting how you are getting on

xxx

DB
I am amazed how similar our journeys are... I too worry about the weight coming off now. I have steadily lost 1 kg a week, no matter what I do...I don't seem to dump on chocolate or cake, but can on fruit or ham. I am about 16 weeks post op now and am annoyed at myself as I seem to be able to eat a reasonable potion (teenage size) - where as I thought I would be on a toddler potion for ever.
I still crave **** to eat - and sometimes it still gets the better of me, which is very hard to deal with mentally.
Feel free to PM me any time. I think we could learn from each other with having such a similar time!
Take Care
Dan
x

Hey :)

Id def like to be in touch- Im not sure how to do the PM thing on here? Or if Im allowed (do I need a particular number of comments?). If you're more acquainted please add me! Lovin that you're from my hometown too! Cambridgeshire :-D

Today is 18 days on liquids only; cravings seem to be less today but it really is a daily struggle- I guess all those years on 'autopilot' are truely ingrained. Im using some CBT to replace negative self-talk with positive self-talk but I have so any thoughts- it is exhausting! What do other people do when they get cravings? (aside from read, walk or have a bath!)... Also, how have people found the most motivational way of recording your weight loss? I'd like an online graph but I cant seem to find it on the ticker site :-( I've never been slim... EVER! Its really hard to focus on what I might look like and feel like because I've never looked or felt like it!...

DBx

DB - do you think we were twins separated at birth?! LOL ! I am not sure how I am doing - I used to call my daily vomits "a gip" no idea why, sadly all my friends knew it as that too... "you just been to gip?" I used to get asked when we were out for dinner! Oh the shame of it all!!
x

Back