• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any good books

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi stragers
sorry I have not been on for soo long
I am struggling and lsoing nothing so I dont think I need to say anymore.

I am therefore kickingmy own arse and starting again
so here goes

I am a quick cooker, it comes out of teh freezer into teh oven onto teh plate
i.e oven chips salad and chick fillet
oven chips gammon and salad
oven chips salmon and salad
veg and salmon and boiled spuds,
I think you get my jist.

so I need to know IF there are any good band books out there to give some idea of what food I should be eating dont get me wrong I am not nigella or delia but I can cook a bit and jsut need some pointers

I am eating less than before but still teh weight is not coming off so of course I am doing somehting wrong.

I am still having a few wines at the weekend, but No chocolate No crisps, nothing that i can honestly say oh thats why.

Thanks everyone

helen
x

ps I have had my 2nd fill and cant eat white bread or some meats so I know I have restriction and also I do throw up at least once a day (sorry tmi)
x

I don't know of any specific books but I would say maybe cut the chips out? Have more protein and veg for meals and eat carbs last. Maybe a small baked potato would be better..
I think maybe the next fill might sort you out.
Stir fries are fairly easy and straight forward and of course really healthy if you be careful of the oil.
I ended up following a calorie limit to help myself stay on track but I'm sure that makes me the odd one out in band terms. I just found it helped me keep under control and make sure I was eating the correct amount for my weight.
Also exercise at least a half hour daily and drink lots of water between meals - not with.
Good luck anyway x Sometimes it's simply about being really strict with what you eat , I am terrible but unfortunately if I want to lose I have to be tough on myself and force myself to follow the band eating guidelines.
Can you still eat eggs? as Omlettes would be excellent too and very very filling.

Hi Thanks chick.

Eggs yes, I am just confused what is slider food what is ok food.
I try and eat things I have to chew like salad and veg rather than mashed potatoes etc..
I will cut the oven chips out and see how I go.
I have so far today had

cup of tea
slice of brown toast

2 slices brown bread with squirt of mayo ham lettuce tom cucumber and onion
and i am now stuffed

Tea is Chicken fillet - not sure what with yet

Just need to try harder I guess and drink more water

x
thanks again

would cheese and ham omlette be too fatening

Hi Helen

I agree with Neen, more veg with your protein and cut out the chips. I know oven chips are fairly low fat but if you maybe had them once a week that might help.

As a guide your plate should look like protein portion the size of your palm, veggies and salad to fill most of the rest and a very small portion of carbs such as potato. Eat the protein and veg first then eat the carbs if you can. Make sure you are drinking enough but not with meals.

I got a good recipie book which is american and called Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery - some nice recipies in it. Also Phatgirl has posted some great recipies on here that are suitable for banders.

Good luck x

Thanks I have seen many of Phat Girls recipies which sound nice but I am not much of a cook so more basics like chicken fillet with veg or salad etc..
will have another look though x

Sliders are soft or saucy as far as I know :) It's difficult because you might even be having too few calories. I worked out my BMR at a stone heavier than I am now and I needed 1173 just to lay down all day and breathe/be alive. Do you see what I mean?
I think maybe try eating mainly protein and veg at meals, easy on the sauces etc and try and exercise a half hour daily and see what happens. It's such a long process sometimes and I know it's off putting. It will get better I promise.
Also, what is making you sick daily? Is there a certain thing you do/eat before or time that happens?
I think swapping chips (I know oven chips aren't too bad) with a small baked spud (dry no butter) might help you feel fuller if you can tolerate them.
I can't eat chips, most pasta and even rice causes problems but as I said my band is very full. I can normally eat any veg, mash in small portions, and things like chicken, tuna , ham, thin sliced beef etc...not chunky meat though..and not sausage as I found out in a horrible way not so long ago lol.
Have to try and work out what's making you sick though as that's not good for the band (so I read) xx

Just wanted to add this

Phase 5 – weeks 6 onwards
Normal diet - you are now ready to continue on your long term eating plan. At six weeks your first band fill is usually done and you will start to feel the restriction your band is making around the top of your stomach. Remember, you are not just eating small amounts to reduce your calorie intake and lose weight, but you are aiming for a healthy nutritious eating plan as well.

Six golden rules
Each individual differs in the foods they can eat, but there are six golden eating plan rules to follow if you are dedicated to obtaining the greatest benefit from your gastric band:
- Eat three meals per day – your new pouch at the top of your stomach empties slowly throughout the day and you should be satisfied eating three meals a day without getting hungry in between meals. Beware of developing 'grazing' eating patterns of small snacks throughout the day.
- Eat healthy, solid food – soft food slips down easily and whilst this has the benefit of being less likely to block your stoma, you will likely end up eating more over the course of the day. Many soft foods are also higher in fat or carbohydrates and as a consequence you may be taking more calories than you should and your weight loss will slow down or stop. Choose solid foods without lots of sauce (e.g. small meal of chicken and vegetables) and you will eat less overall and stay full for longer.
- Eat slowly and stop as soon as you feel full – most obese people are used to rushing their meals and as there is a time lag from stretching the wall of your stomach and telling your brain you are full, you need to be careful with this one or risk blockage, pain or vomiting. Take tiny bites (cut meat up to the size of a pencil-top rubber) and chew each piece 10–25 times. At some point you will start to feel a tightness in your chest. Stop eating and if you are hungry again a few minutes later, have a little more.
- Do not eat between meals – you should not need to eat between meals because of hunger if you are eating three sensible meals per day.
- Do not drink at meal times – Liquids speed up the passage of food through the stoma and ruin the beneficial effect of slow emptying of food from your new stomach pouch. If you have a drink immediately before your meal you may also find that your stomach is still full and you can't eat your meal. So avoid fluids half an hour before your meals, and for one hour afterwards.
- All drinks should be zero calories – As liquids do pass through your stoma so easily, calorie laden drinks, including alcohol, will simply add calories to your daily intake. Women need calcium, and this can be obtained from skimmed milk, but avoid juice, fizzy drinks (the gas can also cause considerable pain), squashes and milkshakes.

Daily Menu Plan - meal ideas
Breakfast
200ml coffee or tea with or without sugar or 200ml skimmed or semi-skimmed milk or 200ml vegetable
or fruit juice
1 slice brown bread or roll (toasted)
10g butter/margarine or 20g low fat spread
1 portion jam, honey or low fat cheese spread or 50g lean meat or 1 egg or 50g pureed porridge oats

Mid morning snack
150ml x 2 skimmed or semi-skimmed milk

Lunch
1 lamb or pork cutlet/50g poached fish/50g meat in gravy/50-75g chicken breast/1 small sausage/50-75g Quorn/Tofu based product
2 tsp risotto or rice/2 tsp mashed potato/1 small boiled potato
1 peeled grilled tomato/2 tsp broccoli or carrots/small mixed salad
Dessert from suggested choice

Mid afternoon snack
150ml plain or fruit yoghurt
Or stewed peeled fruit

Evening meal
As lunch or:
100g boiled spaghetti with Bolognese sauce
1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
1 peeled grilled tomato
Dessert from suggested choice

Or 3 small slices of low-fat cheese
1 slice brown bread
Small mixed (tomato, cucumber)

Or 2 teaspoon tuna/egg salad with diced pickled vegetables
1 slice brown bread
1 egg custard with raspberry flavour

Or 50g baked potato with cheese and ham
2 tsp of tomato salad
Dessert from suggest choice

Evening snack
150ml x 2 skimmed or semi-skimmed milk

Snacks
150ml low fat plain or fruit yoghurt or,
200ml semi-skimmed milk

Desserts
150ml plain natural or fruit yoghurt or,
1 egg custard (various flavours) or,
1 portion of soft or pureed (stewed) fruit or 1 scoop sorbet

Just also wanted to add a link to one book...
Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-fat High-protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery: Amazon.co.uk: Patt Levine, Michele Bontmpo-Saray: Books

It's seems OK from the reviews but I reckon your best bet is to look through the band daily menus thread
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-recipes-forum/103934-band-daily-menus.html
as it's got great examples and ideas from members here and is free too of course x

Last edited:
Back