• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any teenagers had WLsugery

I'm early 20s if that's any help?x

Thanks toll my daughter is not quite 14 yet she is insulin resistant. Despite diets and metofirmin nothing is shifting. Her consultant at our local hospital referred her to kings college hospital in January 2013. Next thurs going in for a sleep study then following morning meeting bariatric team/psych/dietician along with having all the tests done. Although her weight is not that impressive ..... She actually is as she is only the height on a 5yr old she has achondroplasia (dwarfism) her present weight is 11.6 she is very young I know, but apart from daily bullying she has to endure its a concern of the effect on her organs and of course her bones having short statue.
I don't know if children her age have to do the seminars or not.
What op did you have? If I may ask.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Bless her heart - as if life isn't tough enough on her.

I hope you find the answers you need, and even if you don't find any other teens.

Hopefully through everyone on here you will both find all the support, hope and understanding she needs.

Thank you life is very difficult for her that's another reason why I don't feel guilty about her future surgery all being well . She will have so much more confidence to deal with her short statue which is not a problem to herself, only others. I want my bubbly confident daughter back.

Hi

I think there would mixed views on someone so young having the surgery but when I was 14 I was 21stones (I'm now 32 and preop at my biggest I was 31 stones) and would of loved the opportunity rather than being given endless diets which didn't work!

Here in Milton Keynes we have the first teenager to have a band. He had been overweight and since the age of 12 the bbc had been following him around. When he was 16 he was 21stones and a hospital in New York agreed to try the band on him to see if he would get on with it being so young. His now 24 and got down to 9stones (a bit too skinny which he agrees to) a dad to two children and working in Pizza Hut lol

Yes I would agree with you too young but her consultant is concerned about her other health issues that she has that does rather complicate things. Dieting is not shifting any weight. She is insulin resistant and apparently when you have this some (not all) cannot loose weight.

Thanks toll my daughter is not quite 14 yet she is insulin resistant. Despite diets and metofirmin nothing is shifting. Her consultant at our local hospital referred her to kings college hospital in January 2013. Next thurs going in for a sleep study then following morning meeting bariatric team/psych/dietician along with having all the tests done. Although her weight is not that impressive ..... She actually is as she is only the height on a 5yr old she has achondroplasia (dwarfism) her present weight is 11.6 she is very young I know, but apart from daily bullying she has to endure its a concern of the effect on her organs and of course her bones having short statue.
I don't know if children her age have to do the seminars or not.
What op did you have? If I may ask.

Had the band procedure x I had my op private so didn't have any seminars. From what you described and if that's what the doctor recommended then I'm sure they will take great care of her throughout the process x

What procedure is she potentially going to have? It is only natural but that doesn't make it any easier!x

We will find out on Friday when we meet the team and others and tests being done, so would expect by end of the day we shall know. Well I hope.

Good luck to your daughter on Friday.

x

good luck to you and your daughter,fingers corssed friday goes well and you get the answers you both want xx

??????

Sorry been rather hectic.

All went well my daughter had to have 7 different canulars put into her hand for glucose blood testing but she was excellent and coped very well. Sleep study carried out the night before meeting team. Not received and results of tests as yet, team were lovely dietician gave us a few indicators where and what to cut out, advices to try loose some weight prior to seeming team again (no date yet fixed) surgeon was lovely did diagrams and explained how they worked. Dr she is under is checking out a few things regarding my daughters condition with other Drs at another hospital in London. Just waiting to hear when will be seeing her again. Her case is not so straight forward as other people. Will keep you updated when we hear more.

Thrilled they are being so thorough and clear about things xx

Back