• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any UCLH people here?

ellieL82

Hi I've started the process to surgery at UCLH after spending time under tier 3 care at Addenbrookes. I'm unsure over the bypass or the sleeve even after going to the education session and the one stop shop where the Dr said either was suitable. All options and insight welcomed.

Hiya Ellie,
I'm also under UCLH, got my pre op 5th May.
Has taken me 3 1/2 years to get to this stage & all along I planned to have a bypass. Even after the educational session. But after speaking to the surgeon we both agreed that for me the sleeve would be more suitable. Have now read up a lot on it & I do agree. Seems less invasive, but with similar results to the bypass.
Really nice to finally find someone who is also under UCLH ?
How far are you through the process??

Hi I had .
my op at the UCLH last September .My surgeon was Dr Jenkingson
I chose the sleeve over the bypass because it is less evasive.
Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience at the UCLH although I will. Say my surgeon was fantastic I have had no problems so far.
Good luck ladies xx

Thank you both. I've had my education session and my one stop shop appointment this week. Now waiting for the results of the MDT. They said it would be about 6months before surgery would happen. Is that what you found? Good luck for May.

I think 6 months is quite true. I seem to have been delayed all the way through my journey with one thing or another. I finished tier 3 with Addenbrookes March 2014, but didn't manage to get funding for surgery until August. Did my educational session at the start of November & the one stop appointment end of November. Heard back from MDT within a couple of weeks. Have had to have a few more tests before I was put on the waiting list, which brought me to getting my pre-op for May. But from what I understand I should get a date for surgery about 6 weeks from pre-op. So I'm nearly there... Lol

@nigglybits I'm an Addes girl too. Not looking forward to the dreaded milk again. At least it's only 2 weeks this time.

Too true... Although I found the milk easier than refeed. At least there was no choice, less chance to make the wrong choices lol. Are you local to cambridge? I'm about 30 mins away. Am finding the traveling to UCLH a pain, but I know it'll all be worth it in the end!! ??

I hate the travel too. I live in BSE so drive to Redbridge tube station the get the underground to Liverpool Street then change and get off at Euston Square. I'm really worried about getting home post op. What are you planning to do? I've not posted enough to PM but accepted you as friend.

I'm in haverhill, we drive to epping, change at Oxford Circus & get off at Warren Street. Must admit, parking was a big issue at epping, but found a great site called justpark. We hire someone's driveway for the day for about £6, just behind the station. Works out good.
I was worried about coming home too. Managed to speak to a couple of people while I was in clinic that had already had their surgery. Both had to go home on the tube, which is slightly worrying. But I guess there must be other ways to maybe get collected???? It's a big hospital, can't imagine they send all their poorly patients back on the tube???
I'll let you know as soon as I work it out lol

Ahh. My best friend lives in Haverhill. Was there yesterday in fact. Redbridge and Newbury Park have plenty of spaces at the station and only £5 for the whole day. They're dead easy to get to from yours, just up the M11 then off. Google map it and see what you think. Less commuters as well so apart from rush hour I always get a seat.

Will definitely look into it.
Have you heard from the MDT yet?? If you know when you're going to be discussed you can call them the next day to find out the outcome.... That's if you're impatient like me!! Lol lol Drives me mad all this waiting around, feel like I've spent the last few years on hold, constantly jumping through hoops, but at last I'm near the finishing line. Have you had a smooth ride or has it been bumpy for you too?

So far so smooth. Nothing from the one stop thingy, it was last Thursday so I was going to give it a week. The CNS thought I might need to see the psychology team but I didn't really bond with her tbh she didn't seem to get me. Luckily I've not got any other health problems (just depression). It's taken me a lot of referrals to get here but I know that's just the way it goes. Bet you can't wait as yours is next month!!!

Won't believe it's being done until I get on that operating table.
What are you looking forward to most post op??
Mine are strange things lol... Matching bra & knicker set, doing the weekly shop without being bright red & pouring with sweat at the check out... The list goes on ha ha ha

Going to a theme park and going on the roller coasters!! Being able to go shopping with my friends and look in new look and Primark with them and not have to go to the accessories stand as that's all I can wear.

Totally get that!! Was taken off of the pirate ship once as the safety bar wouldn't go over my boobs!! Could have died with shame :( Would love to go shopping with my daughter & buy something other than leggings.. My children are all teenagers now, I've missed out on so much with them. But we have lots planned, theme parks, more foreign holidays (without the usual panic before about fitting into plane seats & seat belt extenders!! :/ ) swimming etc etc

Think I might go to cromer on Saturday if the weathers nice. Got a party at an all you can eat chinese on Friday. Keep thinking it could well be my last...but 6 months is a long way away.

It's been a week since the one stop shop so I've rung to find out what's happening. How soon after did you find out? I know you rang them too just wondering how long you waited?

I'm sure I rang after about a week, think they have their meetings on a Tuesday. Funnily enough they have just called me to make sure I'm taking the supplements they wrote to me about... Haven't received that letter yet though lol.
Enjoy your day at Cromer, I'm off to Great Yarmouth for the weekend. This could be the last time I have fish & Chips on the beach!! (Gulp!!) Better make sure I get donuts too!! Lol ha ha

Back