• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any UCLH people here?

Had MDT appointment on 15th April, so should hear at the end of April/May and then get my next appointment date - can't wait. How long has your journey taken ? What stage are you and how long till op ? Are you having by-pass ? Are you quite a well person ? Any tips ? Have you done the diet ? ...... So many questions!!!!!

Lol I'll try & answer them all

Finally decided that surgery was the only option I hadn't exhausted back in Nov '11. Funding got refused as I didn't have the 'co-morb'needed. Had a great GP at the time that really supported me & sent me off for sleep apnea tests just in case. (Didn't have any symptoms) Turns out that I did have sleep apnea, and so after a couple of sleep overs came home with a bright & shiny cpap machine. (Totally rock the Darth Vader look!! Lol lol)
This led me up to around June / July '12 Funded was applied for again and agreed for tier 3 at Addenbrookes.
Had my first appointment there Aug '12 & then again Nov'12 where they agreed that I needed to have some cognitive behaviour therapy to address my binging. Couldn't even get an appointment for that until the following March & finished July'13

Got referred again to Addenbrookes tier 3 & had my first appointment there August '13
Tier 3 is a 6 month course, 8 weeks milk diet, 8 weeks refeed & then 8 weeks of back to normal food. Managed to lose about 24-25lb. Completed the course in March of '14 and again applied for surgery funding. Again got refused as Addenbrookes forgot to discharge me lol soooo finally in August 2014 funding was agreed for surgery at UCLH! :) :) :)

Had my group session 13th Nov '14 & my one stop at the end of November. At the MDT meeting they dicided they wanted to explore further why I was always aneamic & requested for me to have abdominal scans... And then later in feb'15 then decided they wanted me to have an endoscopy as well :( :( both tests just confirmed what I'd sad all along, the cause on my aneamic is due to very very heavy periods.... But it's all done now...
Finally...March 31st 2015 surgery was agreed & I was put on the waiting list with an appointment 5th May for pre op :) :)

Originally I'd wanted the bypass & had done all of my research on that, but after seeing the surgeon (Mr Adamo) it was decided that the Sleeve would be better for me.. And to be honest, after doing my research it seems I agree. Less invasive with similar results :) :)

Hope that answers all your questions lol Sorry if I rambled a bit :/

Lol I'll try & answer them all Finally decided that surgery was the only option I hadn't exhausted back in Nov '11. Funding got refused as I didn't have the 'co-morb'needed. Had a great GP at the time that really supported me & sent me off for sleep apnea tests just in case. (Didn't have any symptoms) Turns out that I did have sleep apnea, and so after a couple of sleep overs came home with a bright & shiny cpap machine. (Totally rock the Darth Vader look!! Lol lol) This led me up to around June / July '12 Funded was applied for again and agreed for tier 3 at Addenbrookes. Had my first appointment there Aug '12 & then again Nov'12 where they agreed that I needed to have some cognitive behaviour therapy to address my binging. Couldn't even get an appointment for that until the following March & finished July'13 Got referred again to Addenbrookes tier 3 & had my first appointment there August '13 Tier 3 is a 6 month course, 8 weeks milk diet, 8 weeks refeed & then 8 weeks of back to normal food. Managed to lose about 24-25lb. Completed the course in March of '14 and again applied for surgery funding. Again got refused as Addenbrookes forgot to discharge me lol soooo finally in August 2014 funding was agreed for surgery at UCLH! :) :) :) Had my group session 13th Nov '14 & my one stop at the end of November. At the MDT meeting they dicided they wanted to explore further why I was always aneamic & requested for me to have abdominal scans... And then later in feb'15 then decided they wanted me to have an endoscopy as well :( :( both tests just confirmed what I'd sad all along, the cause on my aneamic is due to very very heavy periods.... But it's all done now... Finally...March 31st 2015 surgery was agreed & I was put on the waiting list with an appointment 5th May for pre op :) :) Originally I'd wanted the bypass & had done all of my research on that, but after seeing the surgeon (Mr Adamo) it was decided that the Sleeve would be better for me.. And to be honest, after doing my research it seems I agree. Less invasive with similar results :) :) Hope that answers all your questions lol Sorry if I rambled a bit :/

Wow that has been a journey!!!!!! ? lots of answers - thank you x

I went through this whole process 8yrs ago for the band at 24stone and then had a separation, everything went wrong and I didn't have anything done !!!
Saw Dr Adamo on the 15th April and he agreed that by-pass was my best option this time, just want it to all go smoothly and to plan.
Sounds like it has been a long time coming for you.

As far as I'm aware they have their MDT meeting on a Tuesday, and normally 2 weeks after your one stop appointment. So hopefully you'll hear soon x

As far as I'm aware they have their MDT meeting on a Tuesday, and normally 2 weeks after your one stop appointment. So hopefully you'll hear soon x

I really appreciate you messaging me and telling me the lengths you have gone through- please keep in touch x

Hi Cam, I've not been quite as unlucky as Niggly. I saw my gp who referred me to a dietician I saw her and lost a few stone then she said it was so much to lose I should go to tier 3. Did that and lost more weight but they felt I would benefit from wls. I had sleep apnea but couldn't cope with CPAP and it got better when I lost weight. Never had diabetes and not significant high blood pressure. Although it was slightly up at my one stop shop assessment. What's your story? Where else have you been seen?

Hi Cam, I've not been quite as unlucky as Niggly. I saw my gp who referred me to a dietician I saw her and lost a few stone then she said it was so much to lose I should go to tier 3. Did that and lost more weight but they felt I would benefit from wls. I had sleep apnea but couldn't cope with CPAP and it got better when I lost weight. Never had diabetes and not significant high blood pressure. Although it was slightly up at my one stop shop assessment. What's your story? Where else have you been seen?

Hi ellie
Every persons story is different but we have all struggled and have still got a long process to go through until we reach the next stage in our lives .... " the journey to feeling normal" !!!
I feel like I'm in a better place now ..... Married, 2 children, older, wiser, no extra health issues, sorted the emotional eating, purging, laxative abuse and enjoying walking for the first time ever !!!
Only told very few people about my plans until I'm on the operating table - can't wait.
Waiting for my pre-op appointment now x

Me too. I don't think anyone enters this sort of decision lightly. I've told quite a few people at work because I'll need support when I'm back as I'll be on light duties and need to actually have breaks so I can eat unlike now where we grab a mountain of food when we can not knowing when our next break will be. I think we're quite close with our appointments. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

Was recovering from nights and prepping for some teaching this evening. Going to ring tomorrow. Not sure if I dare I'm too worried they're going to say no and all my hopes will be dashed.

Was recovering from nights and prepping for some teaching this evening. Going to ring tomorrow. Not sure if I dare I'm too worried they're going to say no and all my hopes will be dashed.

Stay strong ellie, I hope we get seen together and maybe even operated on at a similar time x

I hope so too. I gritted my teeth and phoned them to find out about my MDT but it was a voicemail and no-ones rung me back. Darn it

:( :( :( I received a letter today informing me of my mdt decision!! lol lol That was made the start of march. So im thinking their postal service is a tad slow. I called today as well as I was waiting on a letter for a list of supplements I need to start taking... they said the co ordinator is on holiday, but will be back Monday. Hope that helps xxx

Well I got my letter from MDT. They want to me to see the psych and earliest appt is June so no bypass for me before Christmas :,(

Well I got my letter from MDT. They want to me to see the psych and earliest appt is June so no bypass for me before Christmas :,(
I know it's really disheartening, but don't give up. You've come this far!! June will soon be here xx It may feel like there are lots of obstacles put in your way, but it's all for a good reason. This is a drastic life change we are making, better to be fully prepared mentally & physically xx

Hi I had .
my op at the UCLH last September .My surgeon was Dr Jenkingson
I chose the sleeve over the bypass because it is less evasive.
Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience at the UCLH although I will. Say my surgeon was fantastic I have had no problems so far.
Good luck ladies xx
Hey,
I wanted to ask how long it took you from first appointment to surgery at uclh
I'm 17 years old and have a bmi of 59 and had my first app in August 2016 and it's been 10 months since and going to have my second appointment in May x

Back