• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anybody had a Gastro Camera done ?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Just wondered if anyone has has a camera into stomach area done?
Was informed yesterday I'm on the wait list to have one done after both my CT scan showed up clear so need one doing to see why I'm getting this pains.
Can anyone tell me what it's like?

I'm from Italy so I'm not sure how it works in the UK.
Here everybody has to go through a gastroscopy in order to check that stomach and duodenum are healthy and that surgery on the area can be safely performed.
I had mine under general anesthesia (but I had to go private for that) so I'm afraid I cannot tell you how it is, and they found some duodenal polyps. Bypass is not an option in case of polyps so I had a sleeve instead of the bypass I wanted.

I've had two endoscopy since my bypass in May. I was fully sedated in both so I had no knowledge of how unpleasant thus can be. They spray your throat with a banana flavoured spray, inject several vials of stuff into the cannula in your hand and then it's lights out.

My husband had one without the sedation, a friend of mine without sufficient sedation, that would be an absolute no for me as I would go mental.

Just had a call im in weds morning,first one down!...feeling a bit scared now.
I'm a bit confused as I was told I'm still awake with sedation?
But if I can go with no sedation it will be done quickly.
Can anyone let me know..thanks x

No sedation and you'll be in and out.

Sedation and you'll be out for a short while, woozy for a long whole and you won't be able to drive or operate machinery for 24 hours and will need someone to take you home and make sure your ok until you are no longer off with the fairies.

On my first one I was still off with the fairies the following evening. I asked to be absolutely completely knocked out, they wouldn't have got the camera, like a black garden hose down me, it was surprisingly wide.

No sedation and you'll be in and out.

Sedation and you'll be out for a short while, woozy for a long whole and you won't be able to drive or operate machinery for 24 hours and will need someone to take you home and make sure your ok until you are no longer off with the fairies.

On my first one I was still off with the fairies the following evening. I asked to be absolutely completely knocked out, they wouldn't have got the camera, like a black garden hose down me, it was surprisingly wide.

The camera/tube is wide?
I hope not,I'm wanting to be a big girl and do the whole thing with no sedation

The very best of luck !!!!!!

I am a total pansy when it comes to things like that so being conscious in any way just isn't an option. I've had several breathing tubes down my throat as I get problems with an allergy and my throat swelling so I know that getting a tube 5 times longer just won't be happening. I am a total woose.

The very best of luck !!!!!!

I am a total pansy when it comes to things like that so being conscious in any way just isn't an option. I've had several breathing tubes down my throat as I get problems with an allergy and my throat swelling so I know that getting a tube 5 times longer just won't be happening. I am a total woose.

Do you mind me asking why you had to have a camera?
I know you had difficult eating(I think I read)
Got to check for ulcer on joins or twisted bowel etc for me.
I'm 3 years bypass now and it's just a nusinance these pains.

The first time was some initial post-op issues with being sick pretty graphically. The second was to have a stricture stretched as I couldn't eat anything and it was taking me 4 hours to drink a pint of latte, so that was the only thing I had all day. The gastritis I got diagnosed in A&E, they plucked out of the air as a process of elimination, but yay, thankfully no endoscopy as it was 3am :D

I had it a couple of weeks ago with no sedation and just the throat spray ( wanted to be able to drive etc after) and it was ok, wasn't the best experience ever but no pain just feel like you want to cough and reach a bit and was over in about 5 minutes. Good luck Hun xx

I had it a couple of weeks ago with no sedation and just the throat spray ( wanted to be able to drive etc after) and it was ok, wasn't the best experience ever but no pain just feel like you want to cough and reach a bit and was over in about 5 minutes. Good luck Hun xx

Thanks for this,
I'm going to just get it done with,so I can be in and out x

I had one done about 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with severe reflux. I went without sedation as I just wanted to go in & get out! As someone else said it wasn't a pleasant experience but the spray they use numbs your throat so there's no pain. They put a mouth guard in to stop you biting on the camera then thread it down your throat. If I remember rightly it was over and done with (including waiting for the spray to work) in 15/20 mins!

A friend of mine has to have 1 every year to monitor his Barrett's & he always goes without!

Worst thing for me was that whilst waiting to go in I saw this really fit doctor, it then turned out to be him doing the procedure... I majorly embarrassed myself by doing the biggest belch (it was off the chart so can't call it a burp) after the camera was removed!!! I was mortified!!! lol

I had one done about 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with severe reflux. I went without sedation as I just wanted to go in & get out! As someone else said it wasn't a pleasant experience but the spray they use numbs your throat so there's no pain. They put a mouth guard in to stop you biting on the camera then thread it down your throat. If I remember rightly it was over and done with (including waiting for the spray to work) in 15/20 mins!

A friend of mine has to have 1 every year to monitor his Barrett's & he always goes without!

Worst thing for me was that whilst waiting to go in I saw this really fit doctor, it then turned out to be him doing the procedure... I majorly embarrassed myself by doing the biggest belch (it was off the chart so can't call it a burp) after the camera was removed!!! I was mortified!!! lol

Lol...I'd love a fit doctor to look at! At least it would take my mind off things.
I'm just hoping I don't retch too much,as I can make some dreadful loud noises when I've gotten food stuck!..lol

Back