• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had a band with depression?

Hi, I am having my consultation on Tuesday, but I am wanting to check , I do have depression, and I saw another post somewere that there GP would not give them a referel letter to go private because they felt they should not have it right now due to their depression.

So now I am thinking if thats the case should I bother going to the consultation on tuesday? To be honest with you , I can not hide the depression as erm. if he needed to do my BP on my left arm, he would notice .. As sometimes at the gp they cant read my blood preasure and try to insist checking the other arm which i manage to get away with by telling them to carry on trying.

Please do not judge me. I just do not want to go to the consultation, mention my depression and he says " no sorry" So just wondered if anyone else has actually done it or been accepted with deppression.

(BMI 43. )

Lots of us on here (including me) suffer with depression (and anxiety). When you go with the NHS you have to be seen by a psychologist who has the final say as to whether you should have the surgery. It is a long process as you have to jump over many hoops - mine was 20 months including 7 months on waiting list, but it did give me time to get my head around all the changes that were needed. This is because they need to be sure that you are at least aware of the emotional issues behind your eating habits, even if you have not fully dealt with them. A number of us have had counselling/therapy, or sought counselling/therapy after the op. I am guessing if someone is told 'not right now due to their depression' then it may be because they need to have a handle on it.

I am puzzled also that you need a GP referral letter to go private - haven't seen that before, but maybe some of the private people can answer that.

Have you had any support with your depression? There is nothing to be ashamed of in asking for help, and your GP would be a good place to start. Weight Loss Surgery is only a tool to help us with our eating, it doesn't take away all the hunger that we feel, such as when we want to comfort eat. That is still hard. :( Saying that, my sleeve has contributed to a better lifestyle for me as I am now more mobile and no longer diabetic and am now on the waiting list for full knee replacement, so that helps me to feel better some of the time.

I suggest you read through some of the diaries on here to listen to other people's experiences, and that may help you decide whether you feel strong enough to cope with it. By all means go to the consultation on Tuesday, but be honest.

Lots of us on here (including me) suffer with depression (and anxiety). When you go with the NHS you have to be seen by a psychologist who has the final say as to whether you should have the surgery. It is a long process as you have to jump over many hoops - mine was 20 months including 7 months on waiting list, but it did give me time to get my head around all the changes that were needed. This is because they need to be sure that you are at least aware of the emotional issues behind your eating habits, even if you have not fully dealt with them. A number of us have had counselling/therapy, or sought counselling/therapy after the op. I am guessing if someone is told 'not right now due to their depression' then it may be because they need to have a handle on it.

I am puzzled also that you need a GP referral letter to go private - haven't seen that before, but maybe some of the private people can answer that.

Have you had any support with your depression? There is nothing to be ashamed of in asking for help, and your GP would be a good place to start. Weight Loss Surgery is only a tool to help us with our eating, it doesn't take away all the hunger that we feel, such as when we want to comfort eat. That is still hard. :( Saying that, my sleeve has contributed to a better lifestyle for me as I am now more mobile and no longer diabetic and am now on the waiting list for full knee replacement, so that helps me to feel better some of the time.

I suggest you read through some of the diaries on here to listen to other people's experiences, and that may help you decide whether you feel strong enough to cope with it. By all means go to the consultation on Tuesday, but be honest.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Luckily I am going private so can avoid all that long processs lol and your right must have been more to it :)

And its with spire hospital manchester they put in the letter to bring a referal letter but if i dont have it to come anyway. i bet its just paper work and they would still do it without it .

BUT

I went to see my GP today and she was super lovely and will do me a letter by tommorow.

she said " do you know your blood preasure is so high and aswell as you being overweight you could get in on the nhs" so i told her i know that but already been accepted for a loan and would like to do it this summer. which she said was fine, when i told her my weight she was so shocked and said i didnt look that big which I was happy about.

Regarding my depression, I finanly wanted support last year in august. I am stil on the waiting list for trauma therapy and they just through tablets at me, which is not what I need.

Its amazing how much its helped you, I completely understand its just a tool and i am prepared to work hard to make it work as much as I can.

Me being so over weight has made my depression worse as i just feel so disgusting and dont want to go anywere , so though it will not heal things it will for sure improve my selfesteem and help me get back out there!

I will be honest and tell him I do have depression.

i am feeling really positive at this moment, my loan will be in tommorow , so will see how it goes tommorow thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:
i just spoke to spire on the phone they said the letter is just a generic letter they dont need a referel letter lol ohwell il give them one anyway when my gp has done it lol

Back