• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone suffering from depression had band op ?

loughpet

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has had gastric band surgery whilst suffering from depression ?

If so how did this affect you ?

Did your weight lose improve your mood ?

Thanks guys

Hi
I've suffered from depression on and off for years and have been on medication too. I would spend days in the house breaking my heart and not being bothered with anything or anyone, i also bit evryone's head off at times and lacked any confidence in social situations with strangers. I had my bypass 9 months ago and can honestly say i still get the odd low days but no where near what i had before and it has defainatly improved since my surgery. My confidence has soared and yes i'm still a narky moo at times but thats an age and stage thing now hee hee! xx

Some people suffer depression with no cause, and other suffer from depression because of their life - ie lack of employment, bad housing, bad relationship, pain, embarrassment at going out, etc.

If depression is due to perhaps the consequences of being overweight and housebound/not able to work/immobility, etc and weight loss improves those factors then the change in lifestyle may ease the depression.

I know people though who have it all - money, good jobs, holidays, lovely home, etc., and they are still on anti-depressants.

I would say that losing a good portion of my weight has helped a lot with depression and stress for me. I do still feel a bit overwhelmed but there is definately the sense of helplessness being lifted and I can imagine positive things happening in my future as well as feeling on an even keel most of the time. I am also a lot more motivated to try new things and get out and about. I have picked up some old interests and feel much more positive about life on the whole so yes!!!! Improving your physical health by losing the weight helps a lot and definately now I am able to exercise every day (and want to) , I naturally feel a lot happier with the body's seratonin kicking in.
Wishing you success in your weight loss and plans for surgery x

General anesthetics can also cause depression after any op. Some of the young people I work with who have operations for various reasons suffer with depression afterwards. :)

I still take my anti depressants but don't get down half as much as I did before losing the weight. I get out much more and feel so much more confident that I have'nt really got time to sit thinking and getting into a state again. I'm not saying its cured my mental health but it has certainly helped.xx

General anesthetics can also cause depression after any op. Some of the young people I work with who have operations for various reasons suffer with depression afterwards. :)

i'm not young :cry: but after my op i went thro a bad bout of the blues, i think it can affect anyone, at anytime, thro it now tho, but with the weightloss, so lot's of side issues become less of an issue, makes life easier to get on with ;)

I'm currently struggling with my depression.... I'm nearly 4 weeks post of with a band and the highs and lows since the op have been difficult at times.
I'm treating it the way I normally do though, anti d's (liquid is foul but it helps so plugging away) and one day at a time.
Trying not to be too hard on myself, and hoping weightloss will help in time xxx

Back