• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression

Priceless

Hello,
Everyone, I am falling into a depression. I have done this before. I had my surgery Aug. 28, 2012. I don't know what it is unless my antidepressant is not staying in my system. I claw myself at night, I feel as if I am dirty. I dont know what to do. Have any of you been there?

Im sorry to hear that you're struggling :( could it be that you need to check out the dose etc of the meds that you are taking with your doc? It could be that its not enough or not the right one for what you're going through right now.

Do you see a therapist/counsellor? If not, maybe worth trying to find one who can help you and to give you some extra irl support.

Kat x

Make an appointment to see your GP, it could very well be that your meds aren't being absorbed xx

See your gp or CPN right away love- and get some excersize that raises your heart beat every day. Walking quickly for half an hour will do. I know your motivation will be low right now but if that is your goal everyday it'll really help you.
Keep us informed hun xx

after I had my bypass the antidepressants weren't getting into my system the same so had to change to liquid and that did the trick. Go back to your GP and tell them that you need to change to liquid or melt on your tongue types. I got the advice from Mr Ammori who did my op.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon x

Aww hun I know how it feels with depression ive been suffering for yrs pop along to your drs an have a word or see your therapist there is always a crisis team at a local a&e if you can't wait big hugs xxx

I suffer from depression, too, and I agree with previous posters - see your GP as soon as possible. You've struggled long enough, feeling so bad. You need your antidepressant medication in a form you can absorb.

All the very best. I hope you feel much better very soon x

I'm 15mths post op & had down periods over the years but usually shake it off easily. However since my op my eldest has ended up in a secure mental Unit for 6 wks before trying to pick up his life at Uni that didn't work, so he can home last December & has been with us since & now on a high enough dose to be in hospital if they go higher, I also have a hubby who has his own desire sauce episodes apparently always triggered by me and two younger sons to care for . So I've had to be string & not made time to deal with my own demons & flaws so am currently having my own wobbles & feel that I am close to crumbling myself. I'm at the point of going to the GP I'm just trying to work out if I can where I feel I need help to ask for it, of course I may need something different that what I think but CBT & family support seem to be the main areas I'm struggling with & if I can't drag myself up before half term I've promised myself I will make an appointment with my go.
Knowing how I'm struggling I have every sympathy for your struggles, I agree with the others advice check with your go & team as your meds may need adjusting or changing to cope with your pouch & the changes in you, if I'm right sine meds are stored in our fatty layers & like some of those fat soluble hormones are released as we shrink & our fat burns off so that could be a contributory factor as well.
Good luck & hope your feeling happier & less stressed soon.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hello Priceless,
I'm sorry to hear you are falling into a depression. I too suffer with it and I had to get liquid meds for my liquid only stage after my band was fitted. I know the bypass is different to a band but i've read on here that meds etc dont get absorbed, and that is what could be happening to you.
Another reason is you may need a bigger dose. You have been through a lot emotionally with surgery, and your family too, so I would have a chat to the doctor soon. You have recognised the signs in yourself so you must help yourself and go to your gp.
You have my every sympathy suffering with depression, sometimes nothing at all can trigger it, so I hope you get yourself some help and advice soon.
Take care and big hugs
xx

May be worth your while asking if you can change your dosage and frequency. I was on 1 20mg tablet daily, had a slight relapse and now take 3 10mg tabs 3 times a day. I feel good now. I'm sure as previously mentioned it's linked with your changing body, reduction in fat levels and altered absorbtion. Wish you all the best and big hugs.

Thank you for this post because it's made me realise that maybe this is the reason I feel like I could just stay in bed all day crying and I have no motivation to even do the things I love doing. I have an appointment next week re-meds so I will broach the subject with her.

Go see your GP too Lovely, get it sorted, there's no reason to feel like this.

Kate xxx

Thinking of you Hun, fellow sufferer so completely understand what you're going through. You're not alone my darling.
Xx

Hi. As a fellow suffer I completely understand where you are at the moment. The great news is that you are in a good enough frame of mind to recognise the symptoms and that you want to deal with them. This is a massive break through as people cannot usually recognise the symptoms in themselves until things have gone really down hill. My best advice would be to see your gp immediately. You sound like you either need a dose change or a new type of medication. I am on citilopram 40mg. I was put on 20mg at first 2 years ago and it has been increased since then. I strongly recommend my medication. It has no side effects for me and has helped me to gain control of my life again. However I must warn you that any increase of dosage or change in medication can make you feel a bit worse for the first few weeks. You have to stick with it until it levels out and things will be fine. I'm so proud of you for being so open about it on here and recognising the signs yourself. It's a huge step and it is really good to share your worries and concerns. Good luck and keep updating on your progress. Your not on your own. Julia x

I had to increase my meds since my op. I'm grieving for the 'friend' I've lost I think. The emotional side of a bypass is very difficult for me to deal with and my demons are still there.

Go and see your Dr. Liquid meds could be your best bet. The amitriptyline liquid I had directly post op was gross but I got used to it after a while.

Hi. As a fellow suffer I completely understand where you are at the moment. The great news is that you are in a good enough frame of mind to recognise the symptoms and that you want to deal with them. This is a massive break through as people cannot usually recognise the symptoms in themselves until things have gone really down hill. My best advice would be to see your gp immediately. You sound like you either need a dose change or a new type of medication. I am on citilopram 40mg. I was put on 20mg at first 2 years ago and it has been increased since then. I strongly recommend my medication. It has no side effects for me and has helped me to gain control of my life again. However I must warn you that any increase of dosage or change in medication can make you feel a bit worse for the first few weeks. You have to stick with it until it levels out and things will be fine. I'm so proud of you for being so open about it on here and recognising the signs yourself. It's a huge step and it is really good to share your worries and concerns. Good luck and keep updating on your progress. Your not on your own. Julia x

I agree. You've made the first positive step, admitting to yourself that you need some help - and there is no shame in needing it - you're to be commended.
I'm on Citalopram too. It totally "zombified" me for about 6 weeks, then the fog lifted and I was able to function again, then start enjoying life. I started on 1x20mg daily and that's been increased to 3x10mg daily, so it's more evenly spread out.
I never wanted to be back on anti-depressants. I'd stopped taking them a year before my op and thought I was doing ok. Obviously not! I think things got too contradictory for me in the year after my op. Different people were telling me different things, like one person would say I looked amazing, another would ask me what I'd done to myself and did I know I looked like an anorexic? My head was all over the shop trying to get to grips with the "new" me and then people go and tell me all that?! Looking back, no wonder I lost the plot briefly.
I've waffled, I'm sorry. Just know you are not alone, there is support available for you and there is a light at the end of the tunnel (cliche I know!). I really do wish you all the best with this xx

Just wanted to send you my love and best wishes I hope by now you have managed to get something sorted keep strong hun xxx

I'm on Citalopram too, and I resisted anti-d's for a long long time (too long with hindsight but there you go...)

I have spoken to my GP about coming off them and he said that I may be better to wait till after my surgery. I have been on them a year now and I feel fantastic 99% of the time.

xxx

May I put forward a word of warning, my son was being counselled for his depression at Uni, this finished & he went back to his GP as his delusions & depression were getting worse. The GP prescribed Citalopram & after only one tablet within a few hours became violently sick, in his confused state post this sickness he took a second dose earlier than the prescribed time period between doses thinking his being sick would have rid his system of the initial dose age. Sadly this triggered a dramatic increase in his delusions to the point he considered carrying out the delusion then with enough self control to not carry out the violent delusions of harming his housemates he considered suicide. Just enough of his inner strength remained to email his counsellor at the Uni who came to his rescue & arranged with the Uni health centre for his admission into the secure unit of the local hospital.
I am not saying that everyone will have such an extreme reaction to Citalopram as he did nor have the repercussions he did but beware whilst these can help as with all drugs they can cause more problems than they solve. Only use with full medical support & guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back