• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone seen phsycologist for banding

charliegirl

Just been to see Dr New at Hope hospital he is wanting me to see a phsycologist and talk to the surgeon. Want to know if anyone on here sawy the phsycologist prior to banding or bypass and can they give me an idea on what happens....any advice greatley appreciated....

I was offered a psychologist appointment ( I went private) but due to the long waiting list for this ended up not bothering as it was not compulsory for me. As far as I know it is just to talk through your reasons for wanting the operation, and to try and help you get to the bottom of the bad habits that have led you to gain weight in the first place - after all understanding this is all part of the process!
I am sure someone else will be along to give you a better answer soon x

Sorry not sure i can help as i went private and didn't see anyone ! ......Seems to me just another one of those NHS hoops they make you jump through, cant understand why anyone would have to see a psyciatrist for a band as it can be removed or unfilled ? bypass is a bit harder to reverse, but i guess when someone makes up there mind to do this they have made up there mind, it sems they put endless hurdles in your way to discourage people from going through with the op, can image there must be people that would just give up !

Richard

Thanks for your replies, I am one of the ones that does not give up I might moan along the way lol but I never give up on something I want....Linda x

Hi linda,

I was NHS as you know, and I had to see the psyche. Actually I saw one of the psyche's assistants. She came to my house and we talked for about 2 hours about my childhood, traumatic events in my life, my eating patterns, why I thought I'd gained weight, how I felt about my weight etc. It was like a long counselling session lol. I cried lots, and I thought the worse (as you do) but I was one of the few people round here who only had to have one appointment :D so I can't have been that bad!

It was a positive experience for me, I've had counselling in the past which was a good experience too and I think that helped.

Linda as you know im under dr new at hope and am also waiting to see the psycologist (silversurfer its not a psychistrist that we have been refered to) like shelbel i am looking at this as a positive thing and part of the process. I have found it quite reasurring that this has to happen and part of his duty of care to me as a patient. I take it that he didnt laugh at you then linda. Wheat else did he say apart from refering you.
HC

Linda as you know im under dr new at hope and am also waiting to see the psycologist (silversurfer its not a psychistrist that we have been refered to) like shelbel i am looking at this as a positive thing and part of the process. I have found it quite reasurring that this has to happen and part of his duty of care to me as a patient. I take it that he didnt laugh at you then linda. Wheat else did he say apart from refering you.
HC

Hi HC yes I agree he is ensuring that we get the best and making sure we know what we are doing. I was amased how he went from reductil and 300 calories to saying he thought I was suitable. I felt I had forced his hand but in hindsite like shel said if he wanted that route for me thats all he would have offered.

I dont have fantastic self esteem but explained to him that if you feel good about your self, which I can feel I can move mountains then I catch sight of myself and feel awful. Once his letter comes no doubt I will remember things he said but that did not register at the time. It was an anxious time for me and with the lousy journey there it wiped me out a bit. He was concerned that I dont have energy now and might have less or the same amount afterwards and would be unable to eat more food to gain the energy. I told him dragging around the extra five stone I have was sapping my energy and when I can get back into the gym that will also boost my energy and he agreed. He just wants me to be sure and also the surgeon can advise him which op he thinks is best for me as Dr New cannot decide. I had never even thought about bypass. I also said if I tried the reductil and low cal diet and struggled to loose the weight how long would I keep it off etc. I said once I had been signed off from him (if I ever did loose the weight) there would be nothing to stop me eating more and more until I was back to my weight and more besides....it was a surreal experience and I wish my friend had been with me to take on board things I missed. I was with him about 30 mins and thought he would have asked me more questions as he started off saying I might not want to answer but I never noticed anything like that.

Its still sinking in and I have to pinch myself....if I lose weight I have a ton of lovely clothing hardly worn or never worn that I can wear wont need to shop for yonks lol....Linda x

Hi I had my bypass done by the NHS but due to issues of depression (mainly linked to my weight issues) i saw a psychologist. She did not support my decision to have weight loss surgery and said that i just needed to get my backside in the gym!!! VERY SUPPORTIVE EH!!! if only life was that simple! anyway to cut a long story short her recommendations counted for nothing as my surgeon felt that the op in itself would help my depression so it really served no purpose at all seeing her! You just need to be very clear about what you want and why! good luck x

Hi I had my bypass done by the NHS but due to issues of depression (mainly linked to my weight issues) i saw a psychologist. She did not support my decision to have weight loss surgery and said that i just needed to get my backside in the gym!!! VERY SUPPORTIVE EH!!! if only life was that simple! anyway to cut a long story short her recommendations counted for nothing as my surgeon felt that the op in itself would help my depression so it really served no purpose at all seeing her! You just need to be very clear about what you want and why! good luck x

Thanks for that Tammy, I have to say since seeing the consultant on friday and allowing the news to sink in, I was in a fog for the rest of the day) I have started to walk taller, laugh and feel so much happier in myself because I feel I will be getting my life back. Everyone at work is wondering what is going on because I am so upbeat and surviving on 3-4 hours sleep, positive mental attitude I think! Glad your doctor saw the benefits for you to have surgery and disregarded what the phsychologist said, if it was as easy as they say to lose weight we would not be putting ourselves through the surgery. Linda x

Brilliant Linda - keep the pma going, it will make everything seem so much easier xx

Thanks for that Tammy, I have to say since seeing the consultant on friday and allowing the news to sink in, I was in a fog for the rest of the day) I have started to walk taller, laugh and feel so much happier in myself because I feel I will be getting my life back. Everyone at work is wondering what is going on because I am so upbeat and surviving on 3-4 hours sleep, positive mental attitude I think! Glad your doctor saw the benefits for you to have surgery and disregarded what the phsychologist said, if it was as easy as they say to lose weight we would not be putting ourselves through the surgery. Linda x
Positive mental attitude is def the key. Good luck with it all and look forward to tracking your progress x

Back