• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

anyone under homerton hospital x

dsarah1977

hi is anyone under homerton if so how long did it take 4 your decision to have surgery mines been since april seen dietician etc but every week i get next week b heard anf never happens im under mr mannur

sarah xx

Heya Sarah

I was initially refered for surgery 2 and a half years ago and was kind of sent round the houses. My first appointment at Homerton for it was Feb 2008 (19 months ago).

Not all people have to wait this long though.

I was awarded funding last week and was told this week that my op wil be in October. It will seem real when I get wten confirmation and pre admission appointment though.

Xx

Anyone under Homerton x

I am, was referred by my doctor, saw them for an initial consultation in July, then heard nothing, not even if they would do the opp or whether I had funding. Had a call this morning saying I was booked in for the op on 4 December and my surgeon would be Mr Coppack! Not had any dietary advice pre op or had any tests...bizarre

Hi Stella, I had my op bt the Homerton 3 weeks ago. I was referred Feb/Mar 09 and had my 1st appointment with the surgeon in April. During my wait for the hospital to give the ok for the op & apply for funding I was in contact with the bariatric nurse who monitored my weight loss. She also emailed me a copy of the pre -op diet and helped me through it.

If I were you I'd contact the Bariatric team and ask for a diet sheet. All the nurses are more than willing to help. If u need there number let me no.

Pinky x

Hi Stella

If I were you I would give them a call back and double check this. I am under Coppack/Mannur too, had my surgery a week before Pinky but I dont think Coppack is a surgeon I think he is a consultant. Im not 100% certain though.

4 December is very short notice, Have you had any other tests? sleep apnoea for example.

Once you have clarified if this is the operation date or not, then maybe you should call the bariatric nurse (switchboard will put you through) and she will be able to email you the pre op diet sheet.

Good Luck

Hi Swizzlestick. Yes, you are right- its not Coppack - misunderstood on the phone. His name is Mr Yashwant Koak - apparently a new surgeon at the Homerton and originally from Cambridge Spire. I phoned them up and checked about the pre-opp diet and spoke to the dietitian. I have been doing the Cambridge Diet which is a combination of milkshake and bars and they have said I could continue with the shakes as a pre-op diet. I don't know how much they expect me to lose in two weeks though and the nurse couldn't tell me. I have already lost 2 stone on the CD and am just under 15 stone so hopefully that should be enough. I expect the pre-op diet is to shrink my liver. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Hi Stella

I dont think its about weightloss for the 2 week pre op, its about shrinking the liver so that there is less chance of it getting in the way during the op. Well done with your weightloss on the cambridge diet :)

Xx

Hi Stella,
well done on your weight loss.

I used CD for my pre op diet mainly cause I could use the Lactose free shakes as milk doesn't agree with me. Though I would of done any diet I'm glad CD was an option.

Pinky xx

Hi Sarah, I'm having a gastric Bypass - apparently thats the one they usually do on diabetics. Think its Roux en Y

Hi Ladies, great to talk to people from the same hospital. How long are you on the liquid diet before you can try solids. Hope your op went ok Swizzlestick.

Hi Stella,

After your op you will be on liquids for 2 weeks. This can vary from person to person though, but 2 week is usual. Each of the stage are normally done for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks of liquids you do 2 weeks of blended (sloppy) food with no lumps.

Diabetic are usually operated on first at Homerton, but you will be told all this when you go for ytour pre admission. Mr Mannur did my op.

Pinkyxx

Hi Ladies, great to talk to people from the same hospital. How long are you on the liquid diet before you can try solids. Hope your op went ok Swizzlestick.

Hi Sarah, I too am under the Homerton & Mr Manuur. I'm having a sleeve gastrectomy on 26th January. It's taken a year, even though I already had my funding when I first saw him in February. Good luck for your surgery. A friends just been in she said the staff are great and look after you really well and the pain management was excellent!

Back