• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had to have Respiratory tests too?

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Hi there

Ive been waiting for 2 yrs to hear whether I can have the bypass surgery. I am at the Homerton under Mannur, he referred me to his colleague as I have a complex med history where i had to have a few different tests to make sure i was ok for surgery. Last month I was told the doc was happy for me to have the surgery as long as the aneathestists were happy about it. He said he would speak with them and if they wanted me to have more tests they would send me an appointment. Well last week I got a letter to go to have respiratory testing at another hospital linked to the Homerton. I am under 4 different hospitals for different health probs anyway but none of them need em to have respiratory tests so I am assuming these tests have been requested by them.

What I would be interested to know is,

1 has anyone else had to have these tests?

2 what do they involve?

Hi there, yes I had to have one but I'm under Sheffield so may be different. All I had to do was blow into a spirometre. its just a tube and nothing nasty. Don't worry about it, its to check the amount of air that you can breathe into your lungs so they know how good your breathing is for surgery. Good luck xx Gaynor xx

I'm under the same dr.
I have to have a lung function test, but it wasn't him who referred me for it. I was referred to the hospital for possible sleep apnea by my GP. Mr Mannur doesn't think I have it base on questionaire I filled out but said to still it done.

Gosh I hope I don't have to wait 2 years for Op.

I had to do a respiratory/lung function test too its so the anaesthetist knows how well your lungs work and what you need whilst you are under.

Yep - Walsall Manor WLS patients undergo a respiratory test as standard so it's probably the same for your surgeon. Dont worry hun. Its not too bad.

Thanks all.

I was getting a bit worried because I know there are some respiritory tests that are rather unpleasant. I was also mildly concerned that they wanted to whack me on a treadmill lol, I said to other half that would be hysterical, and they would be waiting a looooong time to get any results from that as I have mobility probs.

Ok sounds to me that I shouldn't be worrying then, I do have lung complications, not apnoea. Just thought it was odd for them to be sending me to another hozzie for something quite straight forward.

I dont think most people have to wait as long as I have, but because the place I'm having it done have never undertaken it on anyone with my health conditions and they had to get info from 4 other hozzies that I'm under and do a lot of different tests themselves just to be on safe side. It also took slightly longer as during my journey they opened up the unit at Homerton specifically for this type of surgery and I was transfered from another one too it.

Was told autumn at the earliest all being well, however this respiritory test has come sooner than expected so who knows.

Sooo nervous

i had to sit on a bike ... and have the test ... i was attached to an ECG.. and had a strap around my mid drift with gel on it .. i then had a blood pressure cuff on with a Mic attached to it .. i have what i can only describe as a life jacket with machines on it .. and then a large rubber mask on my face with a machine attached at the other end of it.. i then had to sit for 5 Min's for normal readings and then cycle for as long as i possibly could getting harder..

till i stopped and had to sit a further 10 Min's till i went back to normal.

this was for anesthetics to make sure what i needed and how much risk i would be.. and my recovery..

it was an awful test i felt all tied in..
but bearable..

mine was a cpx test .. think they do diff ones at diff places.. i also had lung function test that was just to see a Dr and blow in peek flows and so on ..

so good luck xxx

Bret, I was wondering if it involved excercise. God knows how I'm supposed to cycle if thats what I'm going to have to do, 'left hip says no'! This should be interesting........

I thought surely if it was just peak flow they could do that at my gp or at the Homerton.

Back