• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone with a RNY and Fobi ring?

Janifred

Hi, wondered if there was anyone with a fobi ring? I'm wondering if the extra restriction has or is causing you to be sick more often. Both myself and another friend with the same procedure are experiencing the same effect. I am concerned for my lack of protein intake. Bloods are fine and the Surgeon is fine as we are both full of energy and no muscle loss is occuring.

Its an elastic ring that they place around the pouch outlet to prevent it stretching i think! I think i remember that you can get a fobi pouch too, a whole, non-stretchy pouch that is placed inside your pouch. Or something like that!!!!:confused::p

Edited to add;

Nope, thats wrong, its called a fobi pouch because the silastic ring keeps the pouch to a certain size. Basically, it cant stretch.

What's a fobi ring then my preshious :)

Paul
i believe its on the exit of the pouch, to stop it stretching, helping to maintain, im sure i'll be corrected soon lol xxx

The Fobi ring I've had is at the top end of the join to the stomach and looks more like one of those cable ties with a ratchet that stops it from undoing, so to speak. The outlet to the stomis is restricted to about the size of the tip of your smallest finger. I've had to have 2 stretches in the early days as my stomis healed over with scar tissue. Not a very pleasant experience, not being able to swallow ones own saliva and just bringing it back up. But the upshot of it is that at 9 months post op we are both still having trouble keeping solids down. 2-4 tsps is enough, so we have resorted to lattes to help keep the protein up. I was also wondering if there are any more RNYers with a Fobi ring out there that I could buddy up with?

I was also wondering if there are any more RNYers with a Fobi ring out there that I could buddy up with?

I think the fobi ring / silastic ring procedure is very rare and unusual. I don't think any other bypassers on this forum have one (that I can recall from memory) -- if I am wrong on this, I am sure someone will come along and correct me.

However, I am aware of another UK forum where there are more members discussing fobi rings and silastic rings and bypass modifications and surgery revisions.

I cannot paste the name of that forum website here because it would be against the rules of this forum. And I cannot PM you, nor you me yet because you don't have enough posts.

I can only suggest you try a variety of google searches including possibly phrases like "revision surgery" and "complications and difficulties post WLS" ....... and / or with the term "fobi" in the google search, and hopefully you will find the site I am referring to eventually.

(On that site more people have had a fobi ring inserted after the original surgery, after losing restriction or having had their pouch stretch a few years after surgery. It is very unusual to have it fitted at the same time as the original surgery -- only Mr Fobi and a few private surgeons usually undertake that willingly at the first stage surgery.)

Well I had never heard of it so am no help to you at all, honey ... hope you do get a buddy who you can complete your WLS journey with :):) Sounds fab for anyone with a stretched pouch, though, & offers a measure of comfort to any of us worried that they will ultimately fail due to that :wave_cry: thank you for bringing it to our attention, lovely xxx :)

The Fobi ring I've had is at the top end of the join to the stomach and looks more like one of those cable ties with a ratchet that stops it from undoing, so to speak. The outlet to the stomis is restricted to about the size of the tip of your smallest finger. I've had to have 2 stretches in the early days as my stomis healed over with scar tissue. Not a very pleasant experience, not being able to swallow ones own saliva and just bringing it back up. But the upshot of it is that at 9 months post op we are both still having trouble keeping solids down. 2-4 tsps is enough, so we have resorted to lattes to help keep the protein up. I was also wondering if there are any more RNYers with a Fobi ring out there that I could buddy up with?

Can I ask whether you had the fobi ring rny on the NHS or was it a privately performed op? And also why you had to have the fobi ring on top of the bypass?? Sorry to be nosy but just curious, as have been reading up on the fobi ring, and they are now saying that in combination with a rny bypass it is the most effective way of losing weight and then not regaining.. so very interested in it..

This is an old thread from April last year Amanda.

It says on the original posters details that she was a private patient.

I am only a week post op but had a Sleeve with a Fobi ring. The Fobi (named after the professor who developed it) is like a permanently filled gastirc band around your new "pouch". It is fitted outside the stomach or pouch and stitched in place. It looks just like a small plastic jubilee clip. It's concerning to hear your having trouble so long post op. So far I am obvioulsy only on purees but have had no sickness at all, although it's hard to get anywhere near the minimum recommended food in at the moment but I figured that would be because it's such early days. I decided upon the Fobi because it will permanently limit the size of my stomach and hopefully help prevent regain.

This is an old thread from April last year Amanda.

It says on the original posters details that she was a private patient.

Oops!! Thanks mazza!!! Was so interested in the posts didn't think to check the dates!! LoL

I know this is an old thread but thought I would add to it :)

I went from a band (lots of problems and slippage) to a RNY by-pass Aug 12. Right from the start it didn't restrict in any shape or form so they went 'back in' 16th Jan 13 and tightened the connection between the pouch and small intestine as it had streched to the size of a tennis ball!!.

It has done it again and I thought I had come up with the best idea in the world to fix the problem of streched connections. I thought of a surgical grade cable tie. Then I see on the telly that they already have lol (there goes my royalties checks)

My connection has streched twice, both times within only a couple of weeks post op and am considering a fobi ring. TBH the ONLY reason I might not is because I can't afford that amount for private treatment.

I wonder if one of those TV programmes would do it for me ;)

I'm currently a band, and am moving to bypass in May as I've had enough of the port problems.

Not good to hear that you don't have the same restriction as with the band, my actual band is great and I don't want to lose the good bits of it. I've already had my port scar opened up 3 times since last July, it's going to be 4 soon :(

I have on my list of questions for my surgeon about the restriction.

Huummmmmm :confused:

I'm currently a band, and am moving to bypass in May as I've had enough of the port problems.

Not good to hear that you don't have the same restriction as with the band, my actual band is great and I don't want to lose the good bits of it. I've already had my port scar opened up 3 times since last July, it's going to be 4 soon :(

I have on my list of questions for my surgeon about the restriction.

Huummmmmm :confused:

Hi Jemima,

Something I would talk to them about (if I had known I would have lol) is what happens if, although they do the operation right, it doesn't work properly? DON'T let them say it should be fine or nothing can go wrong because it can and has in mine!!

The consultant I spoke to about this (not my usual one) said that surgeons tend to make the pouch slightly larger because they don't want to go too near the band area and it is a bit more stretchy (again because of the band) so you can (easily) fit more in and this then streches the connection.

I would definately ask them about a fobi ring now rather than later if I were you.

They may say no as statisticly your should be find but ask what they will do if it isn't?

Good luck :)

Back