• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

food poisoning after RNY

Hey all. Firstly apologies for my lack of posting for...a long time!

Second I need some advice and I knew I could count on you lovelies.

Ive had (suspected) food poisoning since sat AM. Woke up with 104 temp and Severe vomiting and diarrhoea. Temp went down by sunday. Yday I managed to keep some toast down for about 10mins but today even water is making me throw up and have hardly kept any fluids down. Pain is terrible in stomach and have major headache and starting to feel quite dizzy at times.

I called NHS direct and they told me to self treat with ice lollys and to use sugary stuff to keep energy up. I explained about bypass and dumping but she obviously knows nothing about it as she told me id be fine and 'dumping sounds like nothing compared to the damage of dehydration'. Needless to say the thought of dumping whilst feeling like this is hell!!!

Do you think I should go to hosp?? I dont want to go for hours and sit wasting both our times just to be told the same again (am unsure of protocol post RNY! ) Or any tips?

To recap! Raging temp all day sat, Vomiting and diarrhoea, SEVERE abdo cramps since sat am and unable to keep water down since last night, dizzy and light headed.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome!

Paula Garner

First port of call should be your bariatric team. Give them a ring and ask their advice. Hope your feeling better soon x

My bariatric team have discharged me. Am 2yrs post op (should have mentioned). Plus they moved to diff hosp so no longer have contact details and hosp where i had done is over an hr away from me :(

In agony and im and out of bathroom. Not managed to keep any water down at all since yday. Just got dressed and headed up to A&E now!

happykai

Hope you get the help you need. Get well soon.

Lincs Lass

Hope you begin to feel better soon and found somebody who understood xx

Miss Tickle

How did you get on? Hope you are feeling better xxx

Sorry for some reason the notification for this only just came through!!! Haha

I ended up in majors on drip and anti sickness drip for 6hrs!!! Blood sugars were very low and severely dehydrated! Was sick for nrly 2wks! Food poisoning post surgery is NOT nice!!!!

Tell me about it. On the plus side it booted me out of my plateau!!!

Lol yep!!!

beckaboo

Oh bless you!!! Glad you're feeling better now :)

I've not had food poisoning post op but I did have a nasty bout of gastroenteritis about a year post op which really messed me up for 2 weeks... think it affects us worse because we can't take in fluids in the way those with "normal" gastric systems can! x

Ps the 2 times I've been ill post op (also had bad tonsillitis earlier this year) I've not been able to eat & it's kicked me out of a plateau too... every cloud has a silver lining... lol :)

cupid1964

Wow sounds like norovirus and that's a major. Hazard post op. Our hospital shut 3 wards over Christmas and even 2 hotel stood empty. My opinion is weather is too warm to kill the bugs. Sorry that you had such an awful time of it take things easy because when ya immune system is week you will catch anything. Good health to you x