• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food, diets etc after a bypass. Need help for a bypasser friend

top_kat

Hi everyone.

Although I'm a bander I have a friend who has had a bypass and I'm actually REALLY SUPER worried about them and their severe lack of food that they are taking on board.

They are a about 6 months post op so on normal foods, but their food diary consists of weight watchers mallow wafers and an egg. No other foods and a real lack of protein.

Is anyone, who has had a bypass able to share with me what sort of things that they should be looking at having, are you given directions regarding protein intake? Certain food groups etc like we are with the band?

I want to be "armed" with some info and help so I can hopefully let them know how worried I am about them, and hopefully encourage them to be eating more. Some days, they haven't even taken on 200 cals. And I had read on here that bypassers were advised no alcohol til after 12 months - is that across the board or is that something that is provider dependent too?

I'd really appreciate any help, advice from bypassers with whatever info that you can send my way. I'm really concerned that they are going to end up ill. They've already had complications post surgery and have spent considerable time in and out with bowel issues, but I'm concerned that with such minimal food intake, they are heading down a path of severe lack of nutrition.

Thanks in advance :)

Kat x

They should be eating at least 100g of protein a day. All meats and fish etc. when eating they should also eat their protein first, then vegetables and if they have room, then the carbs.

I tend to avoid weight watchers stuff as it's high in sugar. They should also be eating fruit. All main meals should be eaten off a small side plate. Usual things bypassers struggle with are bread, rice and pasta. Some have problems with meat, but there is no harm in trying them all and finding out what works for you.

Bread is usually better toasted. Crackers and ryvita are great. By now they should be eating from all the food groups. Sugar and fat should be kept to no more than 10g per 100g. Hope this helps a bit :)

Been here got two tshirts, one in XL and one in XS.

The post band diet is much the same as the post bypass. Portion post bypass should fit in half muller yoghurt pot according to my dietician. No sugar and low fat is best, same for any diet really !

I have had pretty awful recovery post bypass and for the first 5 months was on about 200 - 400 calories a day but all with milk.

It's not rocket science that your friends eating is dangerous and health damaging but just trying to make them eat and checking and chasing whether they have eaten could just lead to what I did. Lie that you have eaten to get people off your back.

I had my lightbulb moment and am now on about 800 calories a day and that is a struggle.

Hassling me just made me lie that I had eaten and put empty packets on show whilst binning the food.

A tricky one, but every one needs a good friend to look after them when they don't know they need looking after :sigh:

Hi hon these are my post op sheets if that helps.

Attachments

• image-3880342551.jpg
    image-3880342551.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2097489899.jpg
    image-2097489899.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2295779585.jpg
    image-2295779585.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-247102809.jpg
    image-247102809.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image-66594274.jpg
    image-66594274.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1728136651.jpg
    image-1728136651.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1084734527.jpg
    image-1084734527.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 77
Been here got two tshirts, one in XL and one in XS. The post band diet is much the same as the post bypass. Portion post bypass should fit in half muller yoghurt pot according to my dietician. No sugar and low fat is best, same for any diet really ! I have had pretty awful recovery post bypass and for the first 5 months was on about 200 - 400 calories a day but all with milk. It's not rocket science that your friends eating is dangerous and health damaging but just trying to make them eat and checking and chasing whether they have eaten could just lead to what I did. Lie that you have eaten to get people off your back. I had my lightbulb moment and am now on about 800 calories a day and that is a struggle. Hassling me just made me lie that I had eaten and put empty packets on show whilst binning the food. A tricky one, but every one needs a good friend to look after them when they don't know they need looking after :sigh:
glad to hear you're doing better though hon.

Do they have any problems with hair loss, bad skin, poor sleep? Because I know food or lack of could have an impact on these things as well.

You could suggest a few food types that are affordable and convenient; I find having corned beef, cheese triangles, eggs and milk etc readily available a must now. Fresh berries, 'lunch box' size bananas, oranges and apples make great snacks too.

PP was spot on - protein first, then veg, then carbs if they can fit it in. Your friend must feel fatigued?

Also my meal plan for today but of course I'm further out so not sure if that helps.

Attachments

• image-3243883241.jpg
    image-3243883241.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 74
Truly, thank you all and Yvessa those sheets are just perfect, they will come in useful for me to kinda help them if I can. :)

Sincerely appreciated thank you wonderful bypassers :)

Bless her, I hope she manages to get her eating sorted soon xx

Back