• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Appointment on sunday .......

piratess

I just felt the need to write somthing ..

I dont really have anyone i can talk to about this i dont really have any friends in this area as they all down south.
I have the appointment at spire on sunday for a consultation and im feeling worried about it, I have over the last few days read about the "POSE" and wondered whether that may be an option so will ask about it.

Can somone give me an idea about what happens, how long, etc these appointments are? ive had a questionarre to fill in about my eating habits and health etc and have to take it with me .

Many thanks xxx

Hi I have just come home from my first appointment at the Spire on the Wirral,There was no mention of POSE only band,bypass and sleeve.You see a dietician to discuss eating habits,be honest cos thats how they give you the op best suited to your needs.Weighed/height/bmi,got the 2 week pre op diet sheet and eating plan for post surgery.Then saw a doctor who goes through your mental and physical health history.After that saw a nurse for ecg,bloods,bp and mrsa swabs.Got second appointment that is on 9th Feb to see consultant who will confirm which op I will have,see the aneathetist(sp)Then should get a date within 4 weeks of then for surgery.Things are moving fast now the bad weather etc has gone.Cant say it will be identical to my experience today but should be close.Hope this helps.Maz x

I was at Spire in Soton a couple of weeks ago, and have sent you a pm with details of what happened when I went.

Pretty much the same as Maz, so nothing to get worried about.

oh wow .. so bloods etc done on 1st appointment even if you havnt decided for 100% ... ?
I thought it was just like a consultation to get answers options thoughts etc ... forums like this one are for me invaluable but i still feel i need to sit and talk to somone face to face ...
I hope they dont think im going to sign on the dotted line sunday ? ..... I need to think and weight everything up before signing ! ....

Have you got your funding already agreed? If so I assume they take this as you wanting to go ahead.

I was asked to sign the consent form, even though I am not able to have surgery till after april. So long as you talk to them, I am sure they will not put any pressure on you.

Its a really, really busy clinic and you will not necessarily see people in the order of the appointments, but they are all lovely and explain things well.

Hi Piretess,
I hope your appointment goes well and I'm sure it'll be nothing to get worried about. I guess because POSE is a relatively new procedure in the UK and so few hospitals are offering it at the moment and also because its not available on the NHS, there is not much feedback about it yet. I would therefore be really interested to know what they have to say about it at your appointment in Southampton and what your thoughts are once you have seen the consultant.

All the best for Sunday.

I didnt sign anything think that will be 2nd appointment,they give you options and then discuss your choice.Are you private or nhs?

Thanks for your replies ... If I go ahead it will be private.
Just getting worried as not sure what to expect, don't even know who I'm seeing!

Me neither, but they won't force you to go ahead with anything unless you are ready. Are you able to take someone with you for moral support?

:) evening ...

Ive just got off the phone from spire ... (thg) and the name of the surgeon im seeing on sunday is
Mr Martin Richardson..... has anyone here any exeperiance of seeing him? ...

Im a private patient xxx

Morning :)
Well yesterday went well I'm not really sure what I was expecting to be honest, I go myself worked up, chatted non stop all the way to southampton (my OH must have thought I was mad) anyway had height and weight done and met Mr Richardson who was very nice..... Explained how a band would be suitable for me, and that the NHS wouldn't ever put me forward as I am now because I don't cost them anything at the moment !!!! And it's not until u start costing then money or for mess etc that they decide to do somthing (kinda made sence)

Anyway outcome was band surgery at Dolan Park by Mr Richardson would be£5999 ...... I've come away to have a think ...

On a good note tho my OH has been asking me things bout it so I think it has made him see how important this is

Xxxxx

Really pleased that it went so well and that your OH is coming around to the idea.

I'm not too sure about the surgeons's attitude towards not costing the NHS anything at the moment though. Afterall, once we start costing the NHS money, it presumably will be twice as much....... to sort out the health problem as well as the weight issue .....if you see what I mean.

Anyway, on a positive note, it sounds like you've leapt the first hurdle and you are now on the way.

Back