• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Approved for RNY Bypass, having my Surgical Assessment on Wednesday 19th June!

Alex1983

Hi All!

I am so excited!

This week I have received two letters, first one from the Surgeon (Mr Byrne at Spire Southampton) detailing our entire conversation and recommending the Roux-en-Y bypass, and the second letter offering me an appointment to assess my 'suitability for surgery'. The letter advised to allow a minimum of 3 hours for the appointment, so I am guessing that this is the MDT portion of my journey.

The letter says that I hopefully receive a date for my surgery after the assessment.

How long did everyone who is NHS funded wait after the MDT for a surgery date?

I actually feel like crying, the option for surgery always felt like a pipe-dream. I can't believe this is happening!

Hi All!

I am so excited!

This week I have received two letters, first one from the Surgeon (Mr Byrne at Spire Southampton) detailing our entire conversation and recommending the Roux-en-Y bypass, and the second letter offering me an appointment to assess my 'suitability for surgery'. The letter advised to allow a minimum of 3 hours for the appointment, so I am guessing that this is the MDT portion of my journey.

The letter says that I hopefully receive a date for my surgery after the assessment.

I actually feel like crying, the option for surgery always felt like a pipe-dream. I can't believe this is happening!
Hi congratulations on getting through all the hoops so far, as for timescales, every hospital is COMPLETELY different (even within the same trust there can be huge variation lol).
My MDT meeting was in November (and my op is next month) but that was literally to approve me to go through to tier 4 whereas some people have to have multiple MDTs at various stages and some want you there too... Its crazy.

Also, your profile pic threw me off. Going by your user name I was like 'oh, she's the same age as me' and then I saw the photo and I was like 'eh' so I clicked your name to see you are in fact an 83' baby and not the pensioner your using the face of... Well unless it is a pic of you and you've just had a hard life I apologise and ignore my ramblings.

Hi congratulations on getting through all the hoops so far, as for timescales, every hospital is COMPLETELY different (even within the same trust there can be huge variation lol).
My MDT meeting was in November (and my op is next month) but that was literally to approve me to go through to tier 4 whereas some people have to have multiple MDTs at various stages and some want you there too... Its crazy.

Also, your profile pic threw me off. Going by your user name I was like 'oh, she's the same age as me' and then I saw the photo and I was like 'eh' so I clicked your name to see you are in fact an 83' baby and not the pensioner your using the face of... Well unless it is a pic of you and you've just had a hard life I apologise and ignore my ramblings.

Many, many hoops! I have already been referred for Tier 4, this was back in January. I have spent since then jittering with excitement. The surgeon was super chill though and said the wait was around three months (this was just 6 weeks ago), I need to learn to be patient.

Haha! I've changed the pic, I'm not even sure where the pensioner picture came from! Yes I am a '83 baby!

Fun fact: Down Under by Men at Work was number one when I was born. A classic.

Many, many hoops! I have already been referred for Tier 4, this was back in January. I have spent since then jittering with excitement. The surgeon was super chill though and said the wait was around three months (this was just 6 weeks ago), I need to learn to be patient.

Haha! I've changed the pic, I'm not even sure where the pensioner picture came from! Yes I am a '83 baby!

Fun fact: Down Under by Men at Work was number one when I was born. A classic.
Baby Jane by Rod Stewart was number one for me apparently!
You might be looking around the same time as me then potentially.
Picture is an improvement lol

Hi All!

I am so excited!

As parsnip said all hospitals are different, my MDT at Luton was in November and my surgery was April (originally March but that one was cancelled on the day!) I’m sure it won’t be too much longer now though. All very exciting can’t wait to follow your continued journey. Good luck !! Xx

Pre op went well today! They have advised that there is a long wait, as my surgeon only works Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I was advised that they use the same dye that they use in CT scans in the stomach to check for leaks. I am super allergic to Contrast Media (the dye) so I will have to have an alternative, like an endoscope. EUGH.

That’s it! My next visit to the hospital will be my surgery, just waiting for the date.
Squeeee!

Pre op went well today! They have advised that there is a long wait, as my surgeon only works Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I was advised that they use the same dye that they use in CT scans in the stomach to check for leaks. I am super allergic to Contrast Media (the dye) so I will have to have an alternative, like an endoscope. EUGH.

That’s it! My next visit to the hospital will be my surgery, just waiting for the date.
Squeeee!
That’s great news, if you need an endoscopy it’ll be a small price to pay x

Back