• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Apronectomy

Hollyhunny

5 years of waiting
hi everyone,
I just wanted to expand and explain the whats and the whys as it was told to me by sally norton.

firstly an apronectomy is different to a tummy tuck, the latter, which usually involves stitching the abdominal muscles back together as they lose elasticity and strength due to excess weight and/or childbirth, as well as taking off excess skin.

The apron is an excess of fat hanging on to the abdominal wall, making it hard to see the stomach and intestines via keyhole,leading to complications such as bleeding or leakages, etc. So we could do an open bypass, which poses even more problems, a large long scar and with a weight of a heavy apron giving a wound no chance to heal properly and thats just on the outside.
Inside this newly reduced intestine will have that same heavy apron pulling on it, which if there was a hernia we didn't know about could be pulled into it, and cause a rupture leading to peritonitis.etc

wow!

So this is going to be a multi stage treatment.

1. First plastics go in and remove apron.
(I can see feet again)

2. heal,recover,with luck start moving around more,exercise, lose a few lbs.

3. waiting list question,a bit tricky, this will be up to the surgeon, will I be put on the urgent list or go back to the end of the line and start over.
( 20 week wait )

4. choice of op at this point will be a lap band or the sleeve gastrectomy.

5. if in the given time I and my surgeon are happy with my weight loss that will be the end if not, part two begins, a gastric bypass.

she also explained that at the end of meeting my goal weight, I would most assumedly then need a tummy tuck.

well what do ya think about that? :girlpower:

looking forward to the future

positive,excited,pumped!

Brilliant explantation, thanks for that......

Wow, good luck with it all. It sounds amazing, very daunting but incredibly exciting.

Wow, don't know what else to say, some major ops for you. Good luck and hope it all happens pretty quickly for you

:)That's a great explanation HollyB:)

Looks like you'll be seeing light at the end of the tunnel very soon....
as well as your feet lol
Do let us know when you get a date for the first procedure

Its going to be a longer journey for you but im wishing you the best of luck with everything. Time is flying so quickly and i hope they dont leave you to long before they start.
Will be supporting and following you on your journey. xxx

Great explanation, thanks for that. Obviously its a much longer process, but in the end hopefully much safer and with a more satisfactory outcome. I hope you get your dates soon.
Grace xxx

thanks everyone for your supportive thoughts.

I rang the hosp. and found that my records had been sitting on the ward for two weeks without movement!

She rang me back 4 days latet to tell me a letter was sent off the Health Commission Wales to get funding approval for the apronectomy. From there it will got to the Plastics Dept. to await a date.
who knows when or how long, or will I get to back to the end of the cue?

sigh

WOW, never heard of this before! really interesting, thanks for sharing, hope it goes well and quickly. xx

thanks for great explanation, and good luck with the first op, hopefully, that will be fairly soon, then you will begiven time to recover before the bypass/sleeve etc, but not go back to end of queue, itll be a spur once you get first op done, then once your all slim and slender theyll hopefully give you a tt on nhs. good luck huni, hugs xxxx

Back