• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Duodenal Switch Are there any other BPDSers ?

DS'er here. April '11 for the most part doing very well but have had my fair share of problems, some more embarrassing than others. One issue I am having of late is the I seem to get the shakes, usually after a manic day at work where I might not have eaten properly.

Been for an interview today, not eaten since breakfast then got fast food on the way home this evening, out of convenience. Had the shakes once I got home pretty badly. Generally I am much more structured with what I eat though.

Hi i am Angie i had DS end of November 11, i am just now recovering from having my gall bladder out , i had a rough year with low vit levels very aneamic no energy had 9 keyholes with switch to recover from too :) my hair loss has driven me crazy ( used to have beautiful long hair shiny and glossy but not any more ) saying this i would not change it for anything i am 2 lb off target weight may be there by now but due to the surgery last thursday swelling etc not sure :) i met a nurse who's hubby had it 3 yrs ago but he's not on here and he's doing great she says :)
I have had open gall bladder surgery after they tried 3 keyholes so now have 16 scars on my tummy so won't be wearing bikini anytime soon ha ha, take care and well done with everything xx

I think (well I used to), that I want a DS as I cannot live long term with the problems I have with the port on my band.

Surgeon has said a definte no as I´m not suitable, so will probably (at the moment) be going for a bypass.

Surgeon also said that the DS is pretty rare.

Please can I ask why you had it as oppose to the bypass.

Thanks!

it suited what i eat, i eat a lot of meat so the very high protein 100grms a day seemed the best way to go, i don't really have a sweet tooth not a chocolate lover eat lots of nuts as well, and drink a lot of milk :)i had to do 3 weeks of the lifetime diet of post op ds wrote everything down how much and when i ate before they would agree to the surgery , it is very drastic as they change such a lot of your insides but i also wanted no chance of ever regaining the weight :) i was told they refuse a lot of people and more than they accept because it is so drastic xx good luck

Pretty much the same as Angie. Protein is not a major issue for me and although I do eat chocolate and the occasional pudding, it is never at the expense of my protein intake. I watch my weight very closely too and currently hovering around 11st to 11st 3lbs. Sometimes I dip just under 11.

For me it was also about the chance to return to some normality around portion size. I don't mean the portion sizes I used to eat but those of a normal person. I didn't want to be the person who ordered child size meals or had to leave vast quantities of food if I went out for a meal, I just wanted to fit in.

This has given me the best chance of doing all that and the DS is also the one that gives you the best chance of losing the most amount of weight. I believe it is usually anticipated that DS'ers lose around 70-75% of their excess body weight. I am at 100% and I don't think I would have achieved that or happiness with the bypass.

i've lost 98% now x i still leave a lot of food but only after eating protein first :) i'm just having some honey roasted ham i cooked myself today ready for christmas yum yum even if i do say so myself ha ha x have a wonderful christmas and healthy 2013 x

I'm not a DSer but I'm hoping to be. Having done endless research it is the one that I keep coming back to as the best for me, and drastic enough that it will whip my rather large bottom in to shape.

I'm a KCH, so I'm waiting patiently for my appointment, and I'm hoping that they say yes.

I think (well I used to), that I want a DS as I cannot live long term with the problems I have with the port on my band.

Surgeon has said a definte no as I´m not suitable, so will probably (at the moment) be going for a bypass.

Surgeon also said that the DS is pretty rare.

Please can I ask why you had it as oppose to the bypass.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear of the problems you've experienced.

From what I have read and heard many 'failed banders' (lol) most often upgrade, so to speak, to a gastric sleeve. Many WLS providers now seem to choose to offer sleeving over banding, for reasons, they state, of longer-term success rate. As with countless other things in life, some procedures suit some people, and others, don't.

Many unsuccessful banders, of course, choose gastric bypass and if this is your choice I wish you the best. Take care, and have a wonderful 2013!

Thanks ladies... if I could make the band work for me then I would keep it as the good bits of the band are good. It´s the port that I have issues with as it moves and is uncomfortable most of the time. I have lost shed loads of weight with it, and with the occasional treat/slip I am keeping it off. It has been really hard to travel with, currently on holiday. But the lifestyle changes needed are worth it to be a normal weight.

I am totally against the sleeve for me, I just havent ever warmed to it, my surgeon was going to recommend this to me to start with, but I didn´t even need to let him speak as it´s not for me.

I think that I want the DS as it combines what I see the best of the sleeve and the bypass without same amount of absorption issues that the bypass can create.

But by the time that I came to wls, I had lost a load of weight years before and had stabelized at being overweight at a bmi of 35. So I´m not heavy enough to qualify.

My surgeon told me that about 6 DS´s are carried out a year, and he did 3 of them last year (2011), and the others were only carried out in London ??? Really ??

I´m mulling things over as I´m not in a hurry to rush into things, but it will probably be the bypass as the sleeve is a definete no for me.

By the time that I make the decision I may be the only person having a bypass at being a size 10 :8855:. Thankfully I have had it confirmed that whatever my size, as its revision surgery I will still qualify.

Just need a fluffy blanket put around my port to soothe it, and that would solve things even more easily

Jemima I'm a little confused by your post. The ds has greater malabsorption and deficiency risks than the bypass. It has the highest average weightloss but my hospital won't even do it because deficiencies are so common post ds.

Yvessa is right DS has very high malabsorbtion and i can definitely agree about the deficiencies too :( the procedure is classed as working through malabsorbtion in its description and that's why they refuse so many people and we have to do the post op diet which we will be on for life for a few weeks even before they agree to do the op x

Sorry, got confused in what I meant. For me I am trying to buy back some time and reduce diabetes which the DS is the best procedure for. The combination of the sleeve and the re-plumbing works best for this.

From my research and some converstation with my provider, the DS is best for this, the bypass is also effective, but what can happen is a few years down the line with a bypass, diabetes can return. What I havent clarified yet is why, is it the body taking its natural way, or is it that people fall off the wagon and eat albeit in smaller portions the wrong foods - ladies do you know?

I was told that the side effects of the DS if you even eat a tiny bit of the wrong foods can be scurrying to the loo up to 10 times a day, not something that appeals.

Stragely, with the bypass I am ok if I get dumping as this is the ultimate deterrant. Which is what I need the big stick approach to keeping me on the straight and narrow.

I know from previous weight loss (and gain, then loss, then gain - you know where I am coming from with this one), that I can lose the weight, then ´something´happens, or complacency sits in, and then before you know it the weight is back on, so I am looking for the ultimate solution. The band does give me some of this, but not everything.

I dont regret having the band, and I would not have been able to contemplate the bypass (or DS) if I hadnt had it, it has been a valuable stepping stone on my wls journey. Shame the band will not stay with me, but onwards and upwards.

Just got to pay again!

I agree about the diabetes mine has completely gone, my cholesterol is too low in parts oddly good and bad but my sleep aponea has completely gone too , I don't rush to the loo but then again am as careful as I can be with what I eat, the diabetic chocolates my son bought at Christmas have gone in the bin after 2 I felt yucky so no more :) and yes it's true there are very few DS done yearly xxx good luck deciding

Back