• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ARRGH!! all change! Need advice/help from banders!!

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Hi guys

Ok so as u know i was singing the praises of the Spatz balloon...new and adjustable and promising a 5.5stone loss...went to see Ester from Healthier Weight and she went through it with me saying no prob u be 10-11stones easily..so i'm like woo sorted.

went to see Dr. Ashton and he was like...thats a load of cack...no way will u lose that much....we only done a few SPatz and they will be no different to the obrera balloon..u will lose same amount..only difference is balloon stays in longer so u will stay at a lower weight for linger but 80% of ppl who have it done put weight back on.....dont do it its a waste of money...

i was shocked! esp as i thought an adjustment of the balloon would mean id lose more but he goes he doubted it. he rang up the women at healthier weight and asked why they were advertising 5.5stone loss.... apparently thats the stats they been given but he doesnt believe it and says nope ...they only started doing 10 or so last month and till he gets his own results he isnt saying anything.

he was like band is best thing for me... not a bypass as im too young and BMI of 35 isnt high enough for sleeve/bypass.

SO looks like im going down band route after all.... only prob is i know very little!!

Healthier Weight saud it costs 7grand for the 5 incision one and 8k for the 1 incision one. which is best one????
is aftercare extremely important as they rave about their aftercare
how long after the op do u feel normal
how fast does weight drop
how much will i lose

im so confused but im all go for the band!

maddnes!

Oh no what a nightmare, Sorry I cant help but hope you get the results and answers you want

Hi.... When I've saved funds I'm having a band, I would say aftercare is THE most important part of band surgery.... I'm sure post banders will be along with lots more advice but
I've done alot of research on who to go with and found myself that WLS Group offered the band for £5980 and that was 3 years unlimited fills - defills also dietition appointment etc they have a wonderful reputation also. All I can say is read lots and make sure the aftercare is top notch

:) good luck with your journey I look forward to reading how you get on

Xxx

Wow what a day you've had!! I was banded last Thursday and had the 5 incisions all small and not a problem to me at all! Love my band already and yet no restriction till 6 weeks after op when i get my first fill! Long term banders with more experience will be along soon to give advice and support! Good luck on your journey:) x Jo

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

thanks guys!!! i dont know where to start

Hiya Magic - There is no end of information on this forum, which will help you decide what to go for. Look under the green headings above to find what you would need. There are quite a few websites about with prices and options. Again gets some quotes from different providers, as well as get as much information from them to help you make a decision.

You want to feel you have made the right decision and not wasted your money; so its important to take the time first to phone or email around and get some written quotes.

Also if its the band your interested in have a look on the band thread that Neen has set up. At least it will give you some idea what to expect. Whatever you decide to go for - its not a magic solution and you will still have to work with it - so that it works for you!

Whatever you decide good luck hun x

Love Kat x

think there were a few people wondering why you had opted for a balloon :eek: Some providers just want to sell you anything, if its what you want to hear (providers, not surgeons).

Id be staying away from healthier weight and researching other providers. Search these forums (theres a search facility top right of this page) and use it to research the band and providers. Or start a clear cut thread eg which provider did your band, which surgeon, hows the aftercare etc. See what comes back.

Good luck :)

awesome ideas and support thanks guys!

Hi

Im sort of pleased for you because I was worried about you having the balloon. Its really good that the surgeon told you the truth.

I had my band with WLS Group too, take a look at their website for prices locations etc, as the price varies. I would not hesitate in recommending them.

Anything you want to know about life with a band just ask, otherwise have a read through the band threads and good old google.

Good luck x

oh no gutted!!! I dunno wt to do either now!!!

:( gutter hey...... maybe u will be the 20% who stay on track but consultant wasnt happy about balloon....going to band..but will start a thread i reckon asking abiut where to go etc!

I said the other day I was off to look up the Spatz and all I could think about coming back and saying was Oo'er, so I didnt' come back at all ;) I know if it was me I wouldn't want to pay all that money for a balloon in my tummy as I know I would put back on when it was out of the space.

I think it sounds like good advice and a band is right for you. Lots more reading and homework for you now. Good luck, will follow your story with interest.

I bet your all sixes and sevens at the moment, especially as you thought you were sorted, so I do feel for you, however I'm sooo glad you've decided against the balloon. I had been reading up on it when I was looking at different procedures for myself and came across some other forums where there were some real horror stories, apart form the fact that the weight just seemed to pile back on once the balloons were removed.

Just take a really deep breath and start your research over again and as the others have said, there is such a wealth of positive info about the band on here and other sites on the web.

Personally I would only go for a provider with long term aftercare, more especially with a band as you may need fills and defills after the initial 1 year that some providers supply you with.

Alternatively there is the POSE that I have opted for but as it's so new, there is little to go on at the moment.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Hi! I had my band two weeks ago saturday with the hospital group, it's a bit too soon to know how they are at aftercare but I wanted to say that 96% of the pain has gone, I just get the odd twinge. I am on liquid food for two weeks and then mushed up food for two weeks.

The experience at the hospital was really good, all the staff were lovely so I never felt alone or scared. I have five small scars, two about 1 cm one that's just a speck and two slightly wobbly ones that are about an inch long.

I have to be careful lifting still and still feel a bit tender when turning round ie to reverse park but I can sleep through the night on my side/front which was the hardest thing when I first had it done!

I have lost half a stone so far and can't wait to start exercising again :)

thanks guyts! von i looked at POSE....do they ever adjust it and how so...

i think im going for the band more so...bit more results etc but will look at it in detail later thanks

Back