• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

At the very start of my journey!

Beckyboo1969

hi. I am 46 female, just summoned up the courage to ask my GP to refer me to York Hospital for a possible Gastric Band. I am about 20 stone. I now have high blood pressure and mild Asthma. I have always been overweight since the age of 20 slowly gaining weight through the years but, last year I had an accident and gained 2 stones. I have a small amount of Arthritis in my knees which hurt all the time, which restricts my enjoyment of walking! I have several questions which I hope people may be able to answer? How long will I wait for surgery if I am accepted? (1st outpatient appt is 25/9) Am I too overweight to request a band? (A bypass is too invasive for me to consider) having had two ops in the last 3 years for removal of my gallbladder (laparoscopically) and subsequent hernia repair (open surgery) would surgeons even consider me for a band? If a band is possible how much can I expect to lose to deem it a success? In my head I would like to be about 14 stones within 2 years of surgery but, is this realistic? I have read a few stories of people who this surgery has not worked for, therefore do they give you a % of success etc?
Thanks for your time
Becky

Can't answer your questions I'm afraid, but make sure you do your research and good luck with it all :)

hi. I am 46 female, just summoned up the courage to ask my GP to refer me to York Hospital for a possible Gastric Band. I am about 20 stone. I now have high blood pressure and mild Asthma. I have always been overweight since the age of 20 slowly gaining weight through the years but, last year I had an accident and gained 2 stones. I have a small amount of Arthritis in my knees which hurt all the time, which restricts my enjoyment of walking! I have several questions which I hope people may be able to answer? How long will I wait for surgery if I am accepted? (1st outpatient appt is 25/9) Am I too overweight to request a band? (A bypass is too invasive for me to consider) having had two ops in the last 3 years for removal of my gallbladder (laparoscopically) and subsequent hernia repair (open surgery) would surgeons even consider me for a band? If a band is possible how much can I expect to lose to deem it a success? In my head I would like to be about 14 stones within 2 years of surgery but, is this realistic? I have read a few stories of people who this surgery has not worked for, therefore do they give you a % of success etc? Thanks for your time Becky

Hi Becky and welcome to a great and helpful site. I was banded nearly 4 weeks ago on the NHS I was referred end of January this year but each area has a different timescale. When I saw the surgeon end of March I weight 22st 9lb like you I thought sleeve/bypass was to invasive. Since end of March I've lost 4st 1lb but that's down to myself and pre op diet since being banded I've lost 1st 5lbs and that's down to the strictness of the diet and willpower as my band is empty and I've been on liquids for 4 weeks then Tuesday I start puréed for 2 weeks and then soft for 2 weeks this is to allow the swelling to go down on my stomach. I hope this helps and good luck with your journey x

hello and welcome to a great site I cant help as I'm a bypasser but we have many on here who are banders give them time to pop up and say hi and maybe offer words of advise and support in the meantime very good luck with your up coming appointment and everything else

Hi Welcome to the site, sorry can't help with you questions, but all the best with your journey.

Back