• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

at what weight?...

tashaliza

hi everyone,

i feel that at the weight i am now (21 st):17729: that im starting to suffer. even though i have been overweight all of my life i have never been this big and i have been lucky? enough to have felt relatively well.
now i feel breathless when i walk and i also seem to be getting alot of aches and pains, sciatica, knee and ankle pain. :cry:
as you can imagine it make you feel quite depressed and like im falling apart....

i was just wondering at what weight you all felt that you had to go for wls, was it a certain weight or was it a feeling?

love tasha xxx :needhug:

Hi Tasha

For me, every time I have put on weight I get other things start to go wrong....But this time I think as soon as I hit that 15 stone plus mark my health started to suffer...I can't get my breath, I have sciatica etc...But I am only 5' 2" and I think I have a small to medium frame so it's a lot of weight for it to carry.

Good question

(((hugs)))

:hug99:Firstly have a hug, now to answer your question my turning point was being told that I couldnt have the operation I need to cure my abdominal pain (lady things lol) until I lost 4 stone. also it was seeing my poor old mum how she is at 64, virtually housebound and very limited in what she can do, she was refferred for WLS but was told the risk of her dying from the op was too high. I didnt want to end up like that and could see myself going down the same route.

Having the band fitted has nipped this in the bud for me.

Wishing you all the best x

thanks snow and mazza for answering my question. im 5'11' and so i suppose i can carry the weight better.....wls is my only option i feel as i think i will get bigger and bigger and so i'm going for a by-pass. tasha xxx

thanks snow and mazza for answering my question. im 5'11' and so i suppose i can carry the weight better.....wls is my only option i feel as i think i will get bigger and bigger and so i'm going for a by-pass. tasha xxx

Hi Tasha

Have you been referred yet? sorry if you have allready posted this info. Just wondered how far down the line you are with getting your by pass.

Maz x

hi mazza, yes ive been refered to an endocrinologist but i haven't had an appointment yet :( dont know how long im gonna have to wait as its been about 2mths already, hopefully not too much longer.
love tasha xxx

Hi Tasha,
The turning point for me was when I reached 15st and I absolutley hated myself and new WLS was the only way out for me, I suffered badly with deppresion and Anxiety attacks and would never leave the house, I spent most days either in bed or hiding in the house with the blinds shut, It was horrble and Although I'm very happily married and consider myself to have a good LIfe as in 2 lovely grown up kids & a Granddaughter,House,Land, cars Horses, and other stuff, all material things really,I just hated me and had to do something about it.

Hiya, My turning point was when I hit 19 stone and couldn't physically play with my children the way I wanted to, a second turning point was that people kept looking at my 23 months old son like he was fat and making comments when in fact he is under the 50th percentile in the chart so he's more then normal. When my weight started effecting my children that's what hurt the most and was time for change.

Clare x

Hi Tasha,
The turning point for me was when I reached 15st and I absolutley hated myself and new WLS was the only way out for me, I suffered badly with deppresion and Anxiety attacks and would never leave the house, I spent most days either in bed or hiding in the house with the blinds shut, It was horrble and Although I'm very happily married and consider myself to have a good LIfe as in 2 lovely grown up kids & a Granddaughter,House,Land, cars Horses, and other stuff, all material things really,I just hated me and had to do something about it.

This is exactly how I felt, sounded like I had written it myself (bar the grandchildren lol)

17.4 stone - weighed in at for my pre-op appt. At just on 5'9" that was size 18 jeans but a 22/24 top due to huge blammers (which if they don't shrink I am having the ******* cut off). Never been so big or heavy in my life - always been fit & sporty. Was walking my dogs at beginning of July - been on feet all day in job and my ankles hurt too much to complete the walk. Took boots off and the usual gross swelling of my ankles had spread to my feet and lower shin. That was enough for me. Went home - reseacrhed on the internet, found a reputable surgeon who could work within my times-frame of 18 days, booked it, paid for it and had it on 21st July.

We all have a limit which we cannot or will not go past, and that was mine.

I lost 3 stone for my wedding in May - and I'm not kidding I've near enough put it all back on. :(

That made my decision for me. I'm so tired and mentally drained from counting points on diets and dragging myself to the gym etc etc

xxx

Mine was prob 20st. I'm now at 21st and really feeling it.

I saw an Endo 2 weeks ago (I waited 1 year for this appt due to my GP's incompetence) now have a 1 year wait as I have to complete a WLM course before he will put me forward for surgery. :(

Mine was not a top weight but more 'I am not really living' that I got to from all my medical condition. I had to delay starting my post-graduate degree because I was only making it out of bed a couple times per week. I went on a crash diet and lost 4 stone and was able to start my studies. I of course went back to my old eating habits and managed to gain back 2 stone. That was it for me, all the ground I had gained health wise from dropping 4 stone was starting to disappear and the fear of being confined to a bed with pain again was overwhelming. That is when I told my GP that I HAD to have surgery. It was the best thing I could of done for myself. I know I would be in agony right now if I hadn't and I am sure I would have only had a few birthdays left in me.

Nic;)

wow, you all have amazing stories.....

it just goes to show that there so many different reasons that we want and deserve wls.
im due to see an endo soon and im hoping that i will be able to be refered straight to surgery and not have to waste a year doing weight management :( fingers crossed
love tasha xxx

Hi Tash, as you know I'm under the same Endo and I didn't have to do weight management, but I had already completed a year at Overeaters Anonymous to get through my bingeing problems. Good luck hun hope you get where you want to be. Ive sent you my email address, feel free to contact me. :character00148:

Hi
Mine was in november 2007 when I had my third child I was my heaviest at 20 stone 5 (or 7 cant remember now) I had already spent a couple of years on xenical and reductil and my weight was up and down but this was when I realised that this weight was too much for me. My knees hurt and back due to big bangers. I just felt awful and started to have pannic attacks and feel like i couldnt breath. My GP suggested a band and that was around 18 months ago. I am due to have a band in the next couple of months.
Good luck xxx

Hi Tasha

My turning point was when i was 24st 10lb,i couldnt walk more than 100yds without my back really hurting and i would have to sit down for a few minutes for it too ease then i would walk again,my partner was so patient but it was so embarrassing for me having to keep saying "hold on,i have to sit down"and you know how people look at you different because your big.

For me personally it was a case of thinking everytime i got to the next stone in weight i wouldnt go over the next one.
Dont get me wrong i have tried all the diets including starving myself and when i did eat feeling guilty and making myself sick but that was fast leading to anorexia and i had to snap out of it,not because it was dangerous but i was a single mum with young kids,but whatever i did i always put the weight back on and more.

The other embarressment i have had is, i have had severe operations over the past few years and they had to wait for the man power to move me,or they would have to ask me to slide over myself as they couldnt find anyone,omg when i think back :eek::eek::eek:,all this and type 2 diabetes

Then last year i went to see my doctor and asked what the chances were of me having a consultation with a bariatric team,she said i fit all the criteria and the rest as they say is history.
I wish i had the surgery earlier in my years,my quality of life has changed so much and will continue,theres no going back thats for sure.:D

Take Care

xx

I think by the time I reached about 21 stone (still to put on more after that) I just thought, "Here we go again", tried diets off and on and ended up well over 25 stones.

My knees and ankles were aching, I struggled to get up from the sofa, I was finding it hard to keep clean as I got heavier and wider- and needed more baths - but I found it hard to get out of the bath (and in). I was too frightened of the bath collapsing to have a shower. I couldn't paint my nails, I felt unattractive ( although my lovely hubby said I wasn't) and, I'm sad to say, I started making excuses not to have sex.

The weight - the sheer immensity of the problem was just overwhelming. I knew I was not going to be able to lose much on my own. Lost a bit at Weight Management clinic and then just realised I was really getting no-where fast and I would probably be 50 by the time I lost a significant amount of weight ( I was 40). So then the decision to have the band was made - family relieved - found funding in Wales was as rare as hen's teeth so scraped the money together from a variety of different sources and went for it. Best decision ever.

I really hope that things start to move for you Tasha, it is horrible to feel prematurely old with aches and pains etc.

Lv Jen x

Back