• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

average ammount of weightloss before surgery??

tracyt84

hiya everyone,ok so thought id ring the hospital today coz sick of waiting for my op date lol been told itll be between april n june eeekkk,ive been advised by my surgeon to try and loose a bit of weight before then but he didnt give me a goal or anythin so what do u all think is a reasonable ammount of weight to loose before my op?thankyou xxx

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
been told itll be between april n june eeekkk,ive been advised by my surgeon to try and loose a bit of weight before then but he didnt give me a goal

That question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" type questions.

Why don't you AIM to lose at least one stone between now and April ..... and then if you lose a bit more it will be a bonus, and when you get your 'pre-op' appointment (possibly in April) it will look good.

THEN -- from the time of your 'pre-op' appointment onwards you will be on a very strict "liver shrinkage diet" up until the date of the op itself (at least 2 weeks but some hospitals, like the one I am with, insist on at least 4 weeks on the liver shrinkage diet).

It is likely that the liver shrinkage diet will cause you to lose at least another 14 lbs (more if your hospital insists on the liver shrinkage diet being done for 4 or 6 weeks like my hospital does).

safc_chick

Can't wait to be skinny!
I was asked to lose 10lb but obviously the more you can lose the better maybe try aim for a stone see how u go x

newcy

If they didn't set a target then I'd think so long as you've lost a couple of pounds they'll be happy - you just need to show you're trying! However, if you can manage more then it just gets the ball rolling early, good luck x

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
average ammount of weightloss before surgery??

This depends on how long any patient decided to start dieting prior to their op ....... on this forum there are already a few people with forthcoming (March) op dates who have already lost 6 stone.

One chap at the patient support group I go to at the Whittington lost 10 stone before his op (but he had more than another 10 stone to lose after the operation).

But other people leave it to nearer to when their 'pre-op' (liver shrinkage) diet starts.

As long as there has been some weight loss (however small) the hospital will normally be favourable towards you at your 'pre-op' appointment ..... the only thing they don't like is weight gain (obviously).

pandora

finding my way again !
My surgeon didn't ask me to lose any , but if I did it was a bonus . I have lost 9lbs but I have to say I havnt tried that hard :(
I start milk diet on thurs , so am estimating will be between 1.5 & 2 stone in total by op date

tracyt84

i would like to loose bout a stone if possible,the hospital that im under doesnt put anyone on the liver shrinkage diet so thats a bit of a worry,i might just do one anyways to be on the safe side xx

flowerofshona

I was asked to lose 10% which was 38lb have lost 78lb since Octber 2011 only because i pushed myself to be as fit as poss for the op. Thnk the fitness is more important so walk a little more, swim ect all will help weightloss :)

masher

i was told 10 -20 kgs, i started diet b4 the pre op as every little helps i ended up losing 32kgs , good luck

jenny17

i have lost about 33lbs since initial seminar, and am waiting for an op date. I think it is probably best to try and eat as healthily as possible on the journey to the op as it will be easier when I have the restriction. I find that my willpower is much better now that it was when I started. I am hoping that because of the work i have put in before, means that i am less likely to make bad food choices afterwards. For example, I will be having a pancake for tea, whereas 2 years ago i would have at least 4.