• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss before surgery

Becg7

Hiya. I've just been to my GP today. She has referred me to the hospital for a bypass. I have diabetes that has been out of control. I have started a lowhile carb diet.

My question is if I loose a significant amount of weight before I see the surgeon will they still do the op?

Thanks, Bec

Bec , it depends on your insurance requirements most said a BMI over 40 and some 35 with other obesity conditions . I hope that helps a little .

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Thank you Mike. I'm having it done on the NHS. I've got to see my GP in two weeks so I will ask her then x

I was wondering the same. Asked my GP, but he couldn't give me an answer.

Going on the replies on various different threads here, it doesn't seems to be very clear and depends on your local CCG.

I'll let you know when I get a definitive answer.

Thank you. I would hate to go through it all and then be told no because I've lost weight. My problem is keeping the weight off not losing it

Hello
by you losing some weight and making life style choices show your team your new found commitment to changing your life and you mean bussiness this time, imagine if you see the doctors they weight you and you weight x amount and on your next visit the weight as stayed the same you made no changes to your life the team might think your going for WLS as a quick fix .I know its not but you need to proof it to them this is just my thinking
good luck with everything

Back