• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B 12 INJECTIONS

chrisa

Hi all I have now had several B12 injections as I am now 18 months post bypass. I have read on here several times how people have experienced painful jabs and burning sensation. I just wondered if this is the reason. My first ones have been fine this time this week when I got my jab it did hurt a little and it did burn bit could it just be because we don't have as much bulk on our arms anymore? I don't know if she may have hit the muscle even. I had it done on Tuesday it has been very achy the last couple of days which is unusual, does anyone else experience this? x:cry:

Does your doctor test your levels or just give you the injection without testing you first? Apparently too much B12 is as bad as too little.

I have had no bloods done sinc emy last visit to hospital which was May /June last year was sposed to be Jan but it was cancelled. So no not been tested for levels nurse has not mentioned it. I also don't pay for them does anyone else? As she gives the injection she prints out a prescription for another one, but never asked for any signature or anything dont want to be hit with nuth prescription charge. x Well maybe I should ask the next time I go if they want to check my levels. xx thanks

Same here Chrisa. Last time hurt like a sob. First time didn't hurt at all. Was bruised for days this time. Agree that its the lack of fat. I have had b12 from day 1.

I think it's because we have less fat and less lean muscle mass. The injection site is usually towards the end of your deltoid muscle, which is thinner at the end where it connects to your humerus. That's my theory anyway lol :)

Well I had my B12 on Monday and I actually asked the nurse why this injection hurts as needles/injection don't bother me at all,apart from this one.
She said its not the needle or muscle it's going into, its the actually solution that's causes it to be painful.
As when I had mine done on Monday I couldn't move my arm for 2 mins,then it was just a bit throbby for rest of afternoon.

That's true, its an acidic solution. But then why didn't it hurt before?

Its amazing isn't it how things can change from week to week. well can lookforward to it hurting each time now then. Something else to not lookforward to xx Thanks for all the replies x

Hi all I have now had several B12 injections as I am now 18 months post bypass. I have read on here several times how people have experienced painful jabs and burning sensation. I just wondered if this is the reason. My first ones have been fine this time this week when I got my jab it did hurt a little and it did burn bit could it just be because we don't have as much bulk on our arms anymore? I don't know if she may have hit the muscle even. I had it done on Tuesday it has been very achy the last couple of days which is unusual, does anyone else experience this? x:cry:

Not my b12 but needles I had done in hospital caused my arm to be painful for weeks after I had them done.
I just put up with it,and it eased on its own chrisa x

Just wondering,does everyone routinely get b12 jabs done or is it as a result of low b12 in blood tests?

Just wondering,does everyone routinely get b12 jabs done or is it as a result of low b12 in blood tests?

Depends on the hospital. Mine does it every three months as routine. Others don't.

Same hospital as Yve and they bang it home that they are every three months regardless. I have a friend who didn't have them until blood test showed she needed them by that time it was too late and she had to have something known a loading doses, an injection each day for around 3 weeks to get the numbers back up. I would sooner have one every three months!!!

This is the thing - I also was told that by the time it shows in bloods it is too late and damage would already be done.

I've had a sleeve not a bypass and at first the surgeon said I didn't need them, but now he has written to my GP telling my GP I need them. Not booked in yet as I decided to have my bloods done first, but will phone and book an appointment with the nurse this week sometime.

I didn't have them until blood tests found the levels to be really low.my energy and concentration was almost non existent! U had my first lot over Christmas/ new year. 7 injections over 10 days. The first few were no worries, injections don't normally bother me and they were going into opposite sides each time to prevent pain/ bruising. Even then the last few really hurt and effected re use of my arm for a few days.
Thought everyone had them this way!

Back